DeKalb County Sheriff's Statement On ...

DeKalb County Sheriff's Statement On Tornado Recovery Efforts

There are 13 comments on the WHNT-19 story from Apr 28, 2011, titled DeKalb County Sheriff's Statement On Tornado Recovery Efforts. In it, WHNT-19 reports that:

DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris issued the following statement about the tornado aftermath in his county.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT-19.

Red Man

Henagar, AL

#1 May 11, 2011
Harris said he was going to stop the wind when he wants to. Maybe the next day, But today we have to have "catfish"
Willy Fox

Coudersport, PA

#2 May 13, 2011
Red Man wrote:
Harris said he was going to stop the wind when he wants to. Maybe the next day, But today we have to have "catfish"
Did Harris get his picture in the local paper?
Jane Smith

Buchanan, GA

#3 May 15, 2011
I live in the High Point area, and know the owners of the little service station, William's Grocery very well. The Dekalb Co Sheriff's office, esp Officer/Sylvania Mayor Mitch Dendy and Sheriff Jimmy Harris, along with the Wildlife Conservation guys have treated the owners of this store like crap. The poor man who owns the store drove in from out of town the night it happened and never left the premises. They had gas pumping or our community on Thursday so we could power up our chainsaws and cut through some of the roads. They had some guys from a Cowboy Church out of Albertville cooking meals, feeding about 400 people a day from Friday. The next day red cross showed up and FEMA showed up, dropping of a pallet of water and a pallet of MRE's. They basically closed their day to day operations down and were there for the community in an immediate way like no one else was, so I just want to say thank you owners of William's Grocery, and your volunteers who have worked so tirelessly. WE appreciate what you have done, even tho others don't.
Just wondering

Henagar, AL

#4 May 15, 2011
In what ways were the owners of the store treated badly? Did they stop by and shake hands with everyone like they did at all the other places? Did they get their pictures taken? Did they actually do any physical work to help out or just get in they way of the real volunteers. Just wondering.
Red Man

Henagar, AL

#5 May 17, 2011
Just wondering wrote:
In what ways were the owners of the store treated badly? Did they stop by and shake hands with everyone like they did at all the other places? Did they get their pictures taken? Did they actually do any physical work to help out or just get in they way of the real volunteers. Just wondering.
Come on we all what he does "shake and gone" and talk to news people.
I too would like to hear what was done to the store owner?

“Now, Be nice boys...”

Since: Dec 08

Ider

#6 May 25, 2011
I am one of the owners. We were treated like crap after someone called the sheriff's dept. and said we were selling ice and water. We did begin, near the end of week two after the diaster, selling water and ice to PAID contractors who had come in to work. The money taken went into our storm victim fund, of which we purchased a tent for the Easler family, who was at the time sleeping under a tarp, and a pair of shoes for a boy who had only a pair of flip flops, and we didn't have a donated pair that fit him. That is what we did with the money we took in from the donation bucket. We had a trailer truck in our parking lot filled with donated items the Cowboy Church organized into the truck. My partner was accused of being drunk and not allowing access to the trailor, which was baloney and you can ask anyone in the community. The sheriff's dept said they were going to come and get some supplies. We assumed they were going to get the stuff in the trailor, instead they took EVERY bottle of water and EVERY bag of ice and that's all. They left the community. I was in the actual tornado, my partner arrived around 3 am and we did not leave. We continued to sell the soda and tobacco in stock, but otherwise turned our store into an immediate relief center. We spent the first two and a half weeks after the disaster helping the community. I wasn't shaking hands, I was hugging my neighbors and grieving with them, as we all lost someone we knew. Jimmy Harris did not stop by, Mitch Dendy did, and the Wildlife guys were there. The same guys whose trucks my partner had PERSONALLY been loading down with supplies.
scott

Fayette, AL

#7 May 25, 2011
Raynestar wrote:
I am one of the owners. We were treated like crap after someone called the sheriff's dept. and said we were selling ice and water. We did begin, near the end of week two after the diaster, selling water and ice to PAID contractors who had come in to work. The money taken went into our storm victim fund, of which we purchased a tent for the Easler family, who was at the time sleeping under a tarp, and a pair of shoes for a boy who had only a pair of flip flops, and we didn't have a donated pair that fit him. That is what we did with the money we took in from the donation bucket. We had a trailer truck in our parking lot filled with donated items the Cowboy Church organized into the truck. My partner was accused of being drunk and not allowing access to the trailor, which was baloney and you can ask anyone in the community. The sheriff's dept said they were going to come and get some supplies. We assumed they were going to get the stuff in the trailor, instead they took EVERY bottle of water and EVERY bag of ice and that's all. They left the community. I was in the actual tornado, my partner arrived around 3 am and we did not leave. We continued to sell the soda and tobacco in stock, but otherwise turned our store into an immediate relief center. We spent the first two and a half weeks after the disaster helping the community. I wasn't shaking hands, I was hugging my neighbors and grieving with them, as we all lost someone we knew. Jimmy Harris did not stop by, Mitch Dendy did, and the Wildlife guys were there. The same guys whose trucks my partner had PERSONALLY been loading down with supplies.
hope the people who voted him back in are happy
scott

Fayette, AL

#8 May 25, 2011
Raynestar wrote:
This is about as brilliant as JP Verdon of Mentone town council trying to get one of the volunteer firemen kicked off the fire dept because he was getting gas for the generators at Moon Lake School while the councilman was in the store gossiping but then claimed the fireman broke line and yelled at him that he was "a nothing" along with other things I can't post here. JPV you are a looser.
Just what happen

Henagar, AL

#9 May 25, 2011
I heard that Mr. Murphee total out the last police car. Some where he did not need to be.
Just tell it the way it is
Fair in Rainsville

Rainsville, AL

#10 May 27, 2011
All I know about this is what I just read. I suppose my only question would be what was the source of the ice and water? Did it come from the Ice and water FEMA left in Rainsville? If the answer is yes, that ice and water was not meant to be sold. IF the water and ice were bought by the sellers from a private source they have the right to sell it if they wish.
The electrical contractors did an outstanding job of rebuilding the main lines through the damaged areas and are to be commended. I was astounded by how fast they set poles and put the lines back up. I know how devistating this is to be in a business affected by the storm as it has about taxed me to the limit of my resources. I wish the store owners the best in recovery and being able to continue their business. SBA loans can be applied for through FEMA and being in a level one federal disaster area, that increases the chances of getting low interest loans.

“Now, Be nice boys...”

Ider

#11 May 27, 2011
To Fair in Rainsville: FEMA on day two of the diaster dropped off ONE pallet of water and ONE pallet of MRE's. Regarding the electrical contractors, we didn't charge them either. When I said paid contractors, I am referring to the people who hired guys to come in and begin clearing land and such. These were not volunteers. We did not get ICE from anyone except donated bags that came from a variety of private donations. The water that we began "selling" was water that had been donated from private citizens for the community. The FEMA water was long gone by the end of week 2.

As far as the SBA loans and FEMA's money are concerned, honestly, that is the least of our concerns. We will rebuild with the help of our community. We will recover. I have no doubt about that. We were one of the lucky ones to have insurance, so it may not be what it was, but there will be a lil country store for this neighborhood.
Fair in Rainsville

Rainsville, AL

#12 May 27, 2011
I have seen the little country store and it is one of the few remaining. I wish you the best. I hope everything turns out ok for you.

“Now, Be nice boys...”

Ider

#13 May 27, 2011
We will be fine I think. I am trying to work with a man who has been through several disasters like this. In Lakeshore MS, he helped rebuild 40 homes at no cost to folks who didn't have insurance. He is gonna be bringing in a crew beginning June 7 to start helping do a few things. I am working on some fundraising to help purchase the supplies, but a lot of my neighbors were either not insured or grossly under insured, so I want to do what is in my power to help this community rebuild, including the store that has been in place for 94 years. It means something to the people of the community and they mean a great deal to me. Thanks for your good wishes,and just keep sending up prayers for us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sylvania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Guy named Jimbo Callaway (Aug '13) May 28 gods helper 3
Sylvania School's band director placed on admin... May 25 daseage1965 2
News Rape report leads to child sex abuse charges fo... (Nov '14) May 21 sam 2
chad crowe Mar '15 anonymous 2
News Hollywood chooses Allen over Duke (Oct '08) Nov '14 Stiles 21
Robberies in the Henagar and High Point area. ... (Oct '14) Nov '14 probnot 2
News Jackson County jury hears testimony in Braxton ... (Oct '09) Nov '14 Family 13
More from around the web

Sylvania People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]