out of towner

United States

#1 Jul 11, 2012
i am from charlotte nc. i moved here a year ago and i love jackson co. especially the sylva area. most of the people are nice and the area is beautiful. but i have never in my entire life encountered such horrible drivers!! most of them(which are quite a few) proudly display a florida tag which tells me a lot. first of all, they cant drive and second, they should go back to florida. granted, not all bad drivers are from florida, but there are too many floridiots here. some of us are here but not by choice-it was work for me. but between the bad drivers and the floridiots, ill be glad when i can go home. and im going. its sad though, that a nice little place like this is messed up for the born here residents. and again i say its not just people from florida- i mean all the transplants.there just seems to be an abundance of floridiots and bad drivers.
Happy Three

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 13, 2012
LOL! They "proudly display a Florida tag"...really? Or are they simply required by law to display the tag for the state in which the car is legally registered?

And the tag tells you that they can't drive...and the tag tells you they should go back to Florida? Wow, that's a talkative tag!

Can you guess what your lack of prose, typing, and punctuation skills tells me about you? Hmmm?

I'm sure the kind residents of Jackson County will be happy when you take your whining back to Charlotte. Drive careful, now, ya hear?
out of towner

United States

#3 Jul 17, 2012
Happy Three, you wouldnt happen to be from Florida now would you? i can tell you all about me- im not highly educated at all. but i know enough to make an honest living and DRIVE! and their tags dont say a word- but their driving skills (or lack of) tells me a lot. the old people buy the largest vehicle made and most cant even WALK without some type of aid. and yes, if a tag has Florida on it, i assume they are either from Florida, or a transplant from somewhere else that moved to Florida, then to Jackson county. look around you when you are out and about (if you get out and about). and while you are at it, check out some other posts here and see what others are saying about the bad drivers in Jackson county! one i read refers to them as a "no driving" bunch. SOOO TRUE!!! seems like i stepped on some toes here huh?
Happy Three

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 20, 2012
No, I'm not from Florida. I don't even really like to visit Florida. And, honestly, bad drivers irritate me, too.

But I'm not willing to lump every person from Florida into a group and say they all suck.(Floridiots, anyone?)

Additionally, seemingly corroborating posts by other people in this un-moderated forum certainly do not add to the validity of your assumption, sorry.

I just think it was an unnecessarily mean thing for you to say.
Tommy Parker

United States

#5 Jul 22, 2012
Happy Three i dont think what Out Of Towner said was meant to be mean. but even it it sounded mean, its true. i am a Jackson Co. native (lived in sylva 37yrs now) and i too have encountered more non-drivers in the past 5 years than in all my driving years. not just people from out of state, but of every age and geographical spot on the map! people here are careless and dangerous to say the least. and im not saying all are old either-but most are. lets face it- the truth hurts no matter what it is. that isnt being mean-just honest!
Happy Three

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 23, 2012
Tommy,

I agree with you. Any bad driver from anywhere can cause problems for anyone. I just didn't care for the anti-Florida theme in the first post. It adds to the already overblown impression of xenophobia among residents in the Smoky Mountains. The people that I've encountered who live in the Smokies have been super.

I'm sure there are those in the area who don't like any people who weren't born and raised with them, but there are many more residents who are nice people. I just don't see any reason to exacerbate the mistaken impression that people in your area hate all people who aren't from your area.

It's not limited to your SPECIFIC area, either. Any vacation destination will will have its share of complaints, but it's all unnecessary. Mountain folks often vacation at the beach, much to the chagrin of the people who live there who have to fight traffic just to get to work.

I don't think you were being mean, and I'm not trying to be, either. Honest!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sylva Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's happening with tourism in Macon County? (Feb '13) Sat Denton H 39
News Officers search for inmate who escaped Greene C... Sat ApePeeD 1
News Public perspectives on Corridor K (May '11) Sat Native 10
Canton Jukebox (Jul '12) Apr 23 geezer 15
Native american stories?? legends. Apr 22 Timmy_ 5
News Caterpillar to Close Two Plants Apr 22 Denton H 5
Why is Bobby Coggins news media excluded? Apr 22 Denton H 17
More from around the web

Sylva People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE