Duke Energy rate hike: out of necessity or greed?

Jul 13, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Smoky Mountain News

A proposal by Duke Energy to hike electricity rates by 17 percent isn't sitting well with many of the company's customers in this region, who question why the power giant should be seeking any increase - much less such a large one - during these times of economic hardship.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Jul 16, 2011

“Resist”

Since: Apr 09

Bryson City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2011

"When I was asked earlier about the issue of coal…under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket…even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad, because I’m capping greenhouse gasses, coal power plants, natural gas…you name it…whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retro-fit their operations.
That will cost money…they will pass that money on to the consumers."
el presidente zero-2008
----------
So without any such legislation, the EPA has moved ahead with rulemaking. Who needs congress?
Everyone was told rates would increase if zero was elected. He also said he would bankrupt the coal industry. So, they got what they voted for.

Also, Duke always asks for more than they get. NC Public Utilities Commission will probably grant a rate increase for compliance costs. Who knows how much that will be? Depends on how good their lobbyists are.

Coal is about 57% of total energy production in the US with nothing to replace it even close to cost. Wind turbines and solar were heavily lobbied by GE along with the curly light bulbs.
Jeffrey Immelt is chairman of the board and CEO of GE. Immelt is also zeros jobs czar and makes curly lightbulbs in China; they closed their last incandescent bulb plant in Oct 2010.

New light bulb law takes effect next year.
Shuler voted yesterday against its repeal.
HR 2417, vote 563,

Electric cars are coal powered.

“Resist”

Since: Apr 09

Bryson City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2011

minor update to BULB act.
Lightbulb Act still in play. Amendment defunds DOE standards approved by voice vote.
It goes to Senate for simple majority vote attached to a spending bill.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/07/h...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flash Flood Watch for Jackson County was issued at July 31 at 10:41PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
Sylva Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Sylva Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000