crazyjake

Magazine, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Does anyone remember the old street races . I was raised in sylmar moved to Arkansas in 99 been back 3times.
Mike Jara

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2013

I remember Danny Dogs, you can't find anything about it now, even on the internet.
Mike Jara

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2013

I remember Danny Dogs. you can't find any history on it.
LeadFarmer

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

Vic A wrote:
well!
A Sylmar thread, very nice.
i lived at 13042 Bradwell st, in Sylmar.
went to Herrick Elm, and olive vista, And Sylmar High (though i thought i was to cool for school and dropped out in 82, would have been class of 83)
i have such great memory's of my home town, but yeah its gone. anyways thought i would say high for old times sake.
vic..
Hello Vic, I live down the street from your old house. Grew up at top of Polk 71-77. Moved back a few years ago from Santa Clarita. It's definitely not the Sylmar I knew and loved. Trash fills the streets and sidewalks, matresses, furniture, construction materials etc. No help from Alarcon or Garcetti. Mostly Section 8, illegals, boarding houses, garage conversions, tweakers and early release.No pride of ownership. Overcrowded with multiple families inhabiting single family homes. Banda music all the time, stray dogs, stray babies wander the streets. Some of the fattest kids I've ever seen.
However, there are some hardworking families trying to make life better, respectful kids, a skate ramp keeping good kids out of trouble. The Nethercutt Museum is a must see if you have never been.
It's not the Sylmar I remember, but there are still a few nice areas, but nothing compared to the 70s - early 80s. I'm resigned to the reality it's not going to get better and planning my exit.
This blog is a nice trip down memory lane.
LeadFarmer

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

flagmania2005 wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember "View Point" as it was called in the late '60s and '70s.....it was also called "The Terraces" later. And they used to launch the hang gliders from up on the hill near the fire station. What were your parent's handles?? my e-mail is flagmania2005@yahoo.com if you want to talk....I might even be able to get a pic of your old house for you as I still have connections in Sylmar.
I remember ViewPoint at the top of Polk by the Hanglider training hill. I skated straight down on a dare from a kid named Ralph. Aluminium Banzai board circa 1976(Sylmar elementary) Speedwobbles before the bottom turn and bailed hard, neighbors thought I got hit by a car.
We called that area Big Terraces and the dirt area at top of Polk Little Terraces. Little Terraces is where the hangliding competitions were on the weekends. We used to ride dirt bikes (75 YZ80) and bicycles all over both areas. skated the wash from the mountain all the way to the little league field. Still think of the wash every time I golf ElCariso.

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Sylmar looks more like Mexico than America. What is our country turning into?
LeadFarmer

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

squeezers wrote:
Sylmar looks more like Mexico than America. What is our country turning into?
My sentiments exactly, but didn't want to invite all the hate mail. The situation is not getting better.
One of the skater kids has 5 refrigerators supporting multiple families in a single family home, family with babies living in the garage. One neighbor was renting out a backyard shed to drunken illegals till the house was destroyed and they were evicted. Trash is being made into BMX jumps as it continues to pile up, mattresses, old furniture, broken appliances where grass should be. Broken down cars, wrecked cars, drunks in the street.
There are better places to live. This was a nice place once upon a time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

LeadFarmer wrote:
<quoted text>
My sentiments exactly, but didn't want to invite all the hate mail. The situation is not getting better.
One of the skater kids has 5 refrigerators supporting multiple families in a single family home, family with babies living in the garage. One neighbor was renting out a backyard shed to drunken illegals till the house was destroyed and they were evicted. Trash is being made into BMX jumps as it continues to pile up, mattresses, old furniture, broken appliances where grass should be. Broken down cars, wrecked cars, drunks in the street.
There are better places to live. This was a nice place once upon a time.
The truth usually does invite hate mail, But I don't really care.

What's going on with you're neighbors is illegal, Have you been reporting their crime to the police and ICE? Only so many people can live in a single family home. It goes by the number of bedrooms, This needs to be reported to the city and maybe the health department. Keep reporting and sending letters.
California is a good place to move away from.
Mike-T aka DocFranknstien

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

I punched up a search for Tlu Tlu's and found this great blog, I grew up in Sylmar, went to Sylmar elementary, Olive Vista JH, and Sylmar High class of 81, My Mom would shop at Boys Market, I remember sitting in gas lines during odd and even at coin power station across from Boys, by the old Howard and Phils western wear, Valley Pizza near Country Cousin jr market had the best Pizza, One time My wife called in for Pizza and gave Her name, Angela, I went and picked it up and after that They thought My name was Angelo, I would show up and They would say "Angelo how Ya doin?", one time at Tlu Tlu's a guy had a tiger in His car, said " that's My alarm system" nobody ever took His car I'm sure. At the Happy Steak restourant You could watch t.v. at the table, 25 cents bought like 15 minutes the Veterans cematary had gravity hill, that always blew people's minds, and the street races on San Fernando Rd was always the best, I drove a primer grey 55 Chevy with 327 4 speed, and also had a v8 Vega, with a 350 with a stall convertor and a 9 inch rear with low gears and a locker it was fast, My freind "Bone's " and I would pretend to be under cover cops, I had a flashing light with a magnet that I would plug in to the lighter socket and stick the light to the roof of My 55, We would pull over cute girls and get there phone #'s, fun fun fun, I miss that town.
Melanie

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Sylmar is mostly a bad area now,sorry but there are still a lot of good people.
I lived there five years and there were 3 murders in my neighborhood!(Foothill
and Polk) SUCKS!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2013

Melanie wrote:
and Polk) SUCKS!!!
This is what happens when blacks and mexicans move in.
julala

Medford, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2013

Mike Jara wrote:
I remember Danny Dogs. you can't find any history on it.
BEST fries EVER !
julala03

Medford, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

i lived on Herron st '68-'75. I remember Sam the bread man. He drove the bakery truck and it was a good day if I could get a nickle from Mom for a doughnut. I would go to Fred's meat market after school ( Hubbard Elementary ) to get a giant dill pickle for 14 cents. Went to O.V. and we used to hang out after school at the sh*% shacks on Roxford. We had a couch tree in the olive grove there, we thought we were the coolest ! When I was 4 we lived on Lyle st. and on the weekend they would have a cotton candy machine outside of Country cousins then we'd go to Sylmar Park and spin on the spinner 'til we couldn't walk straight. I still remember going to the well in San Fernando to get fresh well water.
julala03

Medford, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Webjunkie wrote:
Hey hi! I was checking out the comments of you guys that lived near Slymar High, I mean Sylmar. Yeah same here I used to live on Beaver St on the 2nd Corner house with the huge palms trees are at. We did not have the palms back then though in 2000.
Anyways just wanted to put this up, anyone interested in dropping me an email would be cool, catch me at: hyperactivemojo@yahoo.com
Lates,
Webjunkie
Is your last neme Tuttle ?
LeadFarmer

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Melanie wrote:
and Polk) SUCKS!!!
I've taken a long hard look lately and Sylmar really does suck. Ralph's market is being replaced by Food 4 Less in November, so that should give you an idea of current demographic. Mostly illegal, and legal Hispanic. Sadly the majority are low income, uneducated, overpopulated, unclean. Drug addicts, drunks, pregnant welfare queens pushing strollers with a pack of filthy kids in tow. Trash is everywhere as this culture has no pride in self or neighborhood. They just dump garbage in front of their own homes as if they lived in a dump before and just recreate what their village looked like. If you ever spent any time in a poor border town (ElPaso, Tx) Sylmar will feel like home. Unfortunately it's not getting better. I don't understand how someone could risk their lives to get here (United States)only to recreate the shithole they left.
I know this is a cultural issue, but how do you change such ingrained behavior? To be comfortable living in filth is your own business, but to degrade an area and drive down property values, overpopulate, overwhelm the schools, hospitals and public services while contributing nothing in return is criminal. It's a sad state of affairs. Those that speak of rights for illegals, should try living with them. I used to sympathize for their plight when I lived in a better area. Now I see the real effects. Sylmar is lost. I have good memories, but that was a different era.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 161 - 175 of175
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Sylmar Forum right now

Search the Sylmar Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 1 hr One will do 4,555
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Gomers 199,087
Should you ever tell your crush that you love h... 10 hr Sweetie 2
How old do YOU think you should be to start dat... (Sep '07) 11 hr Claudi280 454
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Thu Activity 15,657
On the road alone in L.A. (Jun '07) Apr 16 Nature 64
North Hollywood Woman Gets 76 Months for Rippin... Apr 16 Pig Is A Glow Head 2
•••
•••

Sylmar News Video

•••
•••

Sylmar Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Sylmar People Search