Yaroslavsky denounces plans to create new Latino-majority district

There are 8 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Aug 20, 2011, titled Yaroslavsky denounces plans to create new Latino-majority district. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

In a pointed statement Friday, Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky condemned plans to create a second Latino-majority district for the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, describing two pending proposals as "a bald-faced gerrymander that is completely unnecessary." "I'm utterly convinced that these redistricting schemes would significantly injure our ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

old eyes

Ridgecrest, CA

#1 Aug 20, 2011
Well mr zev, you as a supervisor of los angeles have sold out every american born here with all your free bee's to the illegal alien parasites and now their going to create a latino ran district to push YOU out of office....what go's around come's around their zev,you crap all over the people of los angeles and now the foreign occupation team is going to crap all over you,need a towel to wipe away all the tears there crybaby zev...did you realy think that the mexican invaders would support you after they took over l.a. county and not put there own head parasite in office,did you not read the la raza play book there zev.see ya
C Darwin

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Aug 20, 2011
Zev was correct in calling this ourtright gerrymandering. Valley to Malibu is an example.
I noted in the recently proposed Congessional seats, one was carved out from Beverly Hills extending in a strip to Marina Del Rey. Another one delinking working class Long Beach/San Pedro from Palos Verdes. A fragant example of Class structrure and hypocrisy. All one has to do is look at the maps of various districts and it is obvious that gerrymandering has been the order of the day all along. Perhaps, cut it all up in equal triangles or rectangles. I like Zev, but he probably would have been fine with two latino districts if it had not infringed on his Valley/Westside powerfull structure and chronies.

As far Latino districts go, in a perfect world it may makes sense, but sorry they have usually proved dismal in running local gov't entities.
C Darwin

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Aug 20, 2011
Novel Approach, avoid Bakannization

All Country Supervisors seats should be are at large, no special disricts. We keep hearing that latinos are in over 50% majority, so if they can register and actualy get out and vote, just let true demofdracy flourish. The weswtside power elite have no immediate worry, it will take them fifty years or more for them. Many are non citizens and those who can vote usually prove to be low turnouts at the polls. When counting the Latino populace, a mucfh higher percentage below voting age.

One of the comments under the Time's article mentiioned Bell and Rober Rizzo and left the impression that it was a non Latino power structure. I have a clue for this commenter, the rubber stamp council was Latino. Rizzo, Spacio, Adams were employees.

C Darwin

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Aug 20, 2011
Mayor V has done a good job, one thing I really like about him is that he truly cares for people.
Same for Reyes and Cardenas of the LA Council. Also, Sheriff Baca is a true pro. All are somewhat
characrter's in their own right, individuals who will speak frankly on matters, which I like.

Yes, Mayor V has been a disoblogado in a few personal matters and in a few official one's, like championing the pardon of that drug dealer from SFV, but even Baca and the then Cardinal fell for
it. Hey, I hope he stays in politics, he's a good man.

Latinos can obviously be elected in City and Countywide elections, but another second Latino gerrymandered Supervisor's district is a downright scam. That being said, a samll adjustment from the Westside/SFV power broker's would be helpfull.
questioner

Fullerton, CA

#5 Aug 20, 2011
Imagine if, when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, we had over 50% Japanese population in California, with a significant number who were unassimilated and were ultimately loyal to Japan, when push came to shove.

WWII would probably have worked out differently than we had planned.

Imagine if a major civil war broke out in Mexico. It's going to be happening eventually. How will states with a majority Latinos, many not fully assimilated, move to make policy regarding Mexico? How will we control our borders then?

What other countries has these sort of problems that aren't sitting next to Somalia?
OldSchool

Hilo, HI

#6 Aug 21, 2011
Amazing how the reconqista plan is coming along. A council person here, a mayor there, and a few tweaks to gerrymandering districts, a president in their pocket, it's all coming together nicely.
Morris the Cat

Long Beach, CA

#7 Aug 21, 2011
questioner wrote:
Imagine if, when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, we had over 50% Japanese population in California, with a significant number who were unassimilated and were ultimately loyal to Japan, when push came to shove.
WWII would probably have worked out differently than we had planned.
Imagine if a major civil war broke out in Mexico. It's going to be happening eventually. How will states with a majority Latinos, many not fully assimilated, move to make policy regarding Mexico? How will we control our borders then?
What other countries has these sort of problems that aren't sitting next to Somalia?
I hear you. Kindly go to this site. This will keep you informed on the Mexican invasion. www.americanpatrol.com
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#8 Aug 22, 2011
There goes the neighborhood!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sylmar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five officers sue Glendale Police Department (Jan '10) 8 hr Robert Baindourov 31
Pit Bull Rescue Tia Torres husband ex-convict a... (Oct '07) 13 hr vanna 508
assault on female Thurs. 4-30-2015 betw. 6:30 +... May 3 pascal 1
Anyone want to meet up and have sex? (Jun '11) May 3 Cutegurl13 16
meth heads shoping at caution customs car repa... May 1 Jackie Treehorn 1
Review: Magic Windows (Mar '10) Apr 30 Rob 32
sylmar olivista middle school in lockdown wed... (Jun '09) Apr 23 Wow 14
More from around the web

Sylmar People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]