Merritt Athletic Club in Eldersburg!

Posted in the Sykesville Forum

Arnold

New Freedom, PA

#1 Dec 3, 2010
My wife and I are wondering if joining the club is a good value for $150 per month? Yes, they have all the bells and whistles like a pool, basketball court, etc. The challenge is: we wouldn't use the pool or play basketball. Plus, we were looking for something a little more economical. The other clubs in the area Athens and Triangle Fitness aren't really up to date as far as the latest equipment and amenities. Both clubs are about $40-$45 per month, but not much to get excited about. Which brings me back to my question: Is Merritt Athletic Club worth the price to be a member? Any comments are welcomed...thank you!
Arnold Ziffel

United States

#2 Aug 27, 2012
Arnold wrote:
My wife and I are wondering if joining the club is a good value for $150 per month? Yes, they have all the bells and whistles like a pool, basketball court, etc. The challenge is: we wouldn't use the pool or play basketball. Plus, we were looking for something a little more economical. The other clubs in the area Athens and Triangle Fitness aren't really up to date as far as the latest equipment and amenities. Both clubs are about $40-$45 per month, but not much to get excited about. Which brings me back to my question: Is Merritt Athletic Club worth the price to be a member? Any comments are welcomed...thank you!
This is an old post but still a relevant response.

Answer=NO!!

Reasons:

High price point for amenities and service and comparative gyms like Columbia Association and Lifetime Fitness in Columbia (was a member for 9 years) offer more amenities and better service. Athens and Triangle give yoi what you need and offer good value. Golds gym slated to move into Carroltowne Mall.....previous ecperience at Golds in Glen Burnie was positive and i was offered price of $9 per month (no typo). Was a member for over 1 year.

Parking is HORRID at peak times and mgt doesnt care and doesn't tell employees to park in lower or adjacent lot.

Interior space needs remodel...un utilized space some huge areas can be used to correct overcrowded machines and more weights added. Also mgt needs to add key weight machines they don't have.

Food vendor sells junk food and sets a bad example to clientele. There is a persistant fly problem throughout warm months.

Management is obsessed with advertising and selling memberships rather than focus on quality of service. Place is setup like a car dealership with booths.....disturbing. D&B report reports this gym earns between 5-10 million dollars which is more than enough to correct problems, mgt prefers to kick the can down the road and is against any positive improvements to correct issues.

Better to go to Athens or wait for Golds.
Save your money!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sykesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for family in sykesville Emma L. Fields Nov '14 Lookingforsister 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Tim the Bagger 7
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Jon SpellMAN 16
Demand for music store in Eldersburg? (Apr '14) Apr '14 Tyler 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Sykesville, MD (Jan '12) Jan '14 David 13
News Former Senate aide found dead in apparent suicide (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bob 16
News Deputies: Former Senate Aide Arrested On Child ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Wall Street Gover... 11
Sykesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Sykesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]