Swiftwater Inn to close after 229 years

Swiftwater Inn to close after 229 years

There are 22 comments on the York Dispatch, The York Sunday News story from May 14, 2007, titled Swiftwater Inn to close after 229 years. In it, York Dispatch, The York Sunday News reports that:

“It's always very sad to hear that a building of our past, of our history, is coming down. These structures make you appreciate the foundations of our county and country as well”

After 229 years, the Swiftwater Inn will close its doors for good Tuesday and prepare for the wrecking ball. via York Dispatch, The York Sunday News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch, The York Sunday News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jeanie

Jamison, PA

#21 Oct 10, 2008
I was a patron of the Swifty since 1985. I became very fond of the Inn and it's owners. The Swiftwater INN was my Cheers bar. Everytime I ride by the site of the old Inn I feel a tinge of sadness . I will always cherish the memories I have of my old hang out. Hopefully, the new owners will rebuild so others can enjoy the Swifty as much as I have.
Deb B

Baldwinville, MA

#22 Jun 7, 2010
Very sad indeed that this landmark of a place is gone forever. I had very fond memories of the Inn, it's owners and the many nice people I met throughout the years. The antique shop next door, the peaceful stream and the rocking chair porches, ball and clawfoot tubs, big antique beds and the great food and comraderie.
Mrs. Cooper always made you feel at home - I laughed at the "Monk's ritual" which I think we all experienced at one time or another if you were a "regular". I painted various birds on the rooms outside doors and named various rooms at one point (i.e. Cardinal room, Robin Room" etc.
I cannot imagine that the town/state allowed this landmark to fall to the wrecking ball - especially with how many of us had a connection to the place - one would have thought that someone would have had some clout to help keep it intact - regardless of the shape it was in. Just about anything can be restored with the right intellect and financing -and I'm sure that if the cry for help had been put out for volunteers, we would have all shown up to work in some capacity - or donated to the cause.

Time marches on - but what separates us from our European counterparts is that they preserve their architectural treasures and past - for their future generations. We have yet to figure that out. Shame on us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Swiftwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Self river tube route?! Jul 25 Chasetperkins 1
Heather bridal buddy May '17 Kentuckian 1
News Missing woman may be at 'special risk of harm o... May '17 Holy Yowser 2
buck hill inn??? (Dec '07) May '17 Holy Yowser 4
News Diary of a Barrett Summer, 1894 (May '10) Feb '17 Matt 2
Getting Healthy (Jan '17) Jan '17 staystrong 1
Does anyone know Bill Ritch (Jan '17) Jan '17 Brian Jalbert 1

Swiftwater Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance