City of Sweetwater and Lake People

City of Sweetwater and Lake People

Posted in the Sweetwater Forum

C U Next Tuesday

Abilene, TX

#1 Apr 5, 2011
The Judge told the Lake People today to quit bitching and sign the lease already.
Ron-Texas

Belton, TX

#2 May 6, 2011
C U Next Tuesday wrote:
The Judge told the Lake People today to quit bitching and sign the lease already.
Never build or move anything on property that you can't buy/own. The City of Sweetwater sounds a bit Communistic with their leases charges, and controls.
blitz

United States

#3 May 6, 2011
Ron-Texas wrote:
<quoted text> Never build or move anything on property that you can't buy/own. The City of Sweetwater sounds a bit Communistic with their leases charges, and controls.
You got that right. A little Obama for a Mayor. A city manager with a spine of jello. Things will change with the next round of elections. Won't be no more unopposed races..........
C U Next Tuesday

Albany, TX

#4 May 10, 2011
The leases are more than fair and give more protections to the folks out there.

With the old leases if the city sold the lake (not likely but they could) they would not be on the hook for any improvements around the like (i.e. cabins). With the new lease then the city would have to give "fair market value" to the owner of any improvements.
Ron-Texas

Temple, TX

#5 Jun 1, 2011
C U Next Tuesday wrote:
The leases are more than fair and give more protections to the folks out there.
With the old leases if the city sold the lake (not likely but they could) they would not be on the hook for any improvements around the like (i.e. cabins). With the new lease then the city would have to give "fair market value" to the owner of any improvements.
I spent a lot of pleasurable time at Lake Sweetwater, and Oak Creek Lake as a kid growing up, with my parents, and family friends, and never thought I'd live to see every lot have a $600.00 price tag/lease on it(since the lease was only $350.00 a few years ago. And now the City of Sweetwater wants to tell everybody what they can and can not do on/in their homes/lots. Plus there is 'no' police protection, sewer connections and only a Volunteer Fire Department. I used to think I'd love to have a Vacation cabin on Sweetwater Lake, but not/never again!!'NO' Thank You!! Forget it!
Ron-Texas

Temple, TX

#6 Jun 1, 2011
C U Next Tuesday wrote:
The Judge might be able to recommend/ask that the people need to sign their leases, but he has no authority to 'tell' them to sign it!
Yes I am

Albany, TX

#7 Jun 1, 2011
Ron-Texas wrote:
<quoted text>I spent a lot of pleasurable time at Lake Sweetwater, and Oak Creek Lake as a kid growing up, with my parents, and family friends, and never thought I'd live to see every lot have a $600.00 price tag/lease on it(since the lease was only $350.00 a few years ago. And now the City of Sweetwater wants to tell everybody what they can and can not do on/in their homes/lots. Plus there is 'no' police protection, sewer connections and only a Volunteer Fire Department. I used to think I'd love to have a Vacation cabin on Sweetwater Lake, but not/never again!!'NO' Thank You!! Forget it!
The land owner is the City of Sweetwater so it is well within their rights to say what can and can not be done on it. Even the old leases had standards for litter and construction that just got carried over to the new lease with some updated wording. If you want city services live inside the city limits, if you want country living live in the country. The lake lots are and have always been called "campsites" so if you rented one and put more than a tent or travel trailer on it in my book you are a fool.
Yes I am

Albany, TX

#8 Jun 1, 2011
Yes I am wrote:
<quoted text>
The land owner is the City of Sweetwater so it is well within their rights to say what can and can not be done on it. Even the old leases had standards for litter and construction that just got carried over to the new lease with some updated wording. If you want city services live inside the city limits, if you want country living live in the country. The lake lots are and have always been called "campsites" so if you rented one and put more than a tent or travel trailer on it in my book you are a fool.
Right there with you.
Ron-Texas

United States

#9 Jun 8, 2011
Yes I am wrote:
<quoted text>
Right there with you.
Well, I've been on/around Lake Sweetwater all of my life(even back when it filled up in 1944),then 1958 and never heard the lease lots called campsites. The cabin I and my family and friends visited the most was an old Army Barrack on the west side a few miles around the south-east side of the lake(long since torn down and a mobile home on the property now) and the original leasees are all dead and gone. So things change I guess. But I still would not have a lot there,,at all!! More government(city) take over.
Yes I Am

Albany, TX

#10 Jun 9, 2011
Ron-Texas wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I've been on/around Lake Sweetwater all of my life(even back when it filled up in 1944),then 1958 and never heard the lease lots called campsites. The cabin I and my family and friends visited the most was an old Army Barrack on the west side a few miles around the south-east side of the lake(long since torn down and a mobile home on the property now) and the original leasees are all dead and gone. So things change I guess. But I still would not have a lot there,,at all!! More government(city) take over.
Well I have only been around since 1969 but in every agreement I have seen it said very clearly "campsite". There is nothing land wise out there for the government to take over, they already own it.
Ron-Texas

United States

#11 Jun 10, 2011
Yes I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I have only been around since 1969 but in every agreement I have seen it said very clearly "campsite". There is nothing land wise out there for the government to take over, they already own it.
The Federal Fovernment built Lake Sweetwater around 1929 or so with the WPA(Workmen's Progress Association[Great Depression era]), and probably like most government leases, leased it to the City of Sweetwater for a dollar down and a dollar a year(?). And the City of Sweetwater has run it like they wanted to all of these years. But let things get out of control 'many' years ago. So now they are trying to regain control of things(?). And the lease was $350.00 about ten years ago(now trying to charge $600.00). And Oak Creek Lake was built about 1958 or so(but the yearly evaporation rate is faster than the annual rainfall. And most of the people are afraid to make very many improvements because although outside of the City Limits, their personal property taxes will go out of sight. These people are darned if they do and darned if they don't! So count me out of ever wanting a cabin on the lake!! Santa Fe lake is owned by the railroal, and Lake Trammel is privately owned by the decendents of the first settlers in the area, the Trammel family.
C U Next Tuesday

Abilene, TX

#12 Jun 11, 2011
Ron-Texas wrote:
<quoted text>The Federal Fovernment built Lake Sweetwater around 1929 or so with the WPA(Workmen's Progress Association[Great Depression era]), and probably like most government leases, leased it to the City of Sweetwater for a dollar down and a dollar a year(?). And the City of Sweetwater has run it like they wanted to all of these years. But let things get out of control 'many' years ago. So now they are trying to regain control of things(?). And the lease was $350.00 about ten years ago(now trying to charge $600.00). And Oak Creek Lake was built about 1958 or so(but the yearly evaporation rate is faster than the annual rainfall. And most of the people are afraid to make very many improvements because although outside of the City Limits, their personal property taxes will go out of sight. These people are darned if they do and darned if they don't! So count me out of ever wanting a cabin on the lake!! Santa Fe lake is owned by the railroal, and Lake Trammel is privately owned by the decendents of the first settlers in the area, the Trammel family.
Lake Trammel is also owned managed by the City of Sweetwater not privately owned and if any of the lakes evaporation rates were faster than the rainfall rate they would all be bone dry like Santa Fe lake did a few years ago. and the WPA is Works Progress Administration. Like it or not no matter who built or formerly owned Lake Sweetwater, Oak Creek, or Trammel the city of Sweetwater owns them now and have for quite some time. Before you spout off you should take a little time and do at least a google search before and let the world wonder about your ignorance rather than type words that confirm it.
Ron-Texas

Waco, TX

#13 Jun 16, 2011
C U Next Tuesday wrote:
<quoted text>
Lake Trammel is also owned managed by the City of Sweetwater not privately owned and if any of the lakes evaporation rates were faster than the rainfall rate they would all be bone dry like Santa Fe lake did a few years ago. and the WPA is Works Progress Administration. Like it or not no matter who built or formerly owned Lake Sweetwater, Oak Creek, or Trammel the city of Sweetwater owns them now and have for quite some time. Before you spout off you should take a little time and do at least a google search before and let the world wonder about your ignorance rather than type words that confirm it.
Well smart alec, see if I will tell you anything ever again!! I know more about Sweetwater that you can ever find out about, regardless of where you go to read!! Keep your two cents in Abilene since several things you have told are a lie!! Moron/idiot!!
C U Next Tuesday

Dardanelle, AR

#14 Jun 17, 2011
Ron-Texas wrote:
<quoted text>Well smart alec, see if I will tell you anything ever again!! I know more about Sweetwater that you can ever find out about, regardless of where you go to read!! Keep your two cents in Abilene since several things you have told are a lie!! Moron/idiot!!
Do you have a good view from your glass house? Here is a nice read so you can know a little more about Sweetwater and its lakes. http://www.lakesweetwater.com/sweetwater/Hist... , and another good link if you want to learn something rather than just spout off what you know. I more often than not research at least two or more sources before I speak on anything.
C U Next Tuesday

Dardanelle, AR

#15 Jun 17, 2011
Try this one too Ron http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online it has a good search engine.
C U Next Tuesday

Dardanelle, AR

#16 Jun 17, 2011
Ron-Texas wrote:
<quoted text>The Federal Fovernment built Lake Sweetwater around 1929 or so with the WPA(Workmen's Progress Association[Great Depression era]), and probably like most government leases, leased it to the City of Sweetwater for a dollar down and a dollar a year(?). And the City of Sweetwater has run it like they wanted to all of these years. But let things get out of control 'many' years ago. So now they are trying to regain control of things(?). And the lease was $350.00 about ten years ago(now trying to charge $600.00). And Oak Creek Lake was built about 1958 or so(but the yearly evaporation rate is faster than the annual rainfall. And most of the people are afraid to make very many improvements because although outside of the City Limits, their personal property taxes will go out of sight. These people are darned if they do and darned if they don't! So count me out of ever wanting a cabin on the lake!! Santa Fe lake is owned by the railroal, and Lake Trammel is privately owned by the decendents of the first settlers in the area, the Trammel family.
Oh and I forgot to point out that Santa Fe Lake is owned by owned by Sweetwater Country Club, Inc. Not the railroad like you claim.
Ron-Texas

Temple, TX

#18 Jun 20, 2011
C U Next Tuesday wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a good view from your glass house? Here is a nice read so you can know a little more about Sweetwater and its lakes. http://www.lakesweetwater.com/sweetwater/Hist... , and another good link if you want to learn something rather than just spout off what you know. I more often than not research at least two or more sources before I speak on anything.
Research has nothing to do with squat. I am part of Sweetwater's History. I lived there many years and have kept up with most things there. And I still know more about Sweetwater than you can 'ever' find/read about it. Squirrell/idiot/moron/imbicile !! Go play on I-20(either side, whichever has the most traffic)!!! And NO I don't live in a glass house, but know a whole lot more than you will 'ever' learn in life, or Abilene!!
C U Next Tuesday

Girard, TX

#19 Jun 20, 2011
Ron-Texas wrote:
<quoted text>Research has nothing to do with squat. I am part of Sweetwater's History. I lived there many years and have kept up with most things there. And I still know more about Sweetwater than you can 'ever' find/read about it. Squirrell/idiot/moron/imbicile !! Go play on I-20(either side, whichever has the most traffic)!!! And NO I don't live in a glass house, but know a whole lot more than you will 'ever' learn in life, or Abilene!!
Lets see how reseach stacks up against your knowledge. You "know" Lake Sweetwater was built then leased to the City of Sweetwater. Research shows the lake was built by the City of Sweetater with funds from a bond election. You "know" Lake Trammell is owned by the family of Thomas Trammell, research shows it is owned by the City of Sweetwater. You "know" Santa Fe lake is owned by the railroad, research shows it is owned by the Sweetwater Country Club.
Your knowledge is flawed as you gleaned it from people with flawed knowledge or just made your own assumptions based on things you heard in passing. You made statements that were incorrect, were called on them, and now are flabbergasted that someone had the audacity to do such a thing and too juvinile to concede your ignorance and grow your knowledge base.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sweetwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coach Shane Mobley Aug 19 Tiger fan 1
car accident in sweetwater (Apr '07) Jul 28 Moya 6
Bar chick (Jan '17) May '17 Mark rdz 4
News World's largest wind farm opens in West Texas (Oct '09) Apr '17 Solarman 25
Free Christmas presents for children of low inc... (Nov '06) Dec '16 Laci Saulmon 1,756
Ray Pack (Oct '09) Oct '16 Melva and Ray Pack 4
Pick Cruz or Rubio and Hillary Wins (Feb '16) Feb '16 Taxpayers Revolt 2

Sweetwater Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sweetwater Mortgages