Sheriff: 1 dead, 100-plus rescued from Lake Erie

Full story: The Associated Press

A miles-wide ice floe broke away Saturday from Lake Erie's shoreline, trapping more than 100 fishermen, some for as long as four hours.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Feb 15, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Darwin

Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

First off, I'm sorry about the guy who died. Pray for his family.

Second, this is off-the-charts stupid. The ice was broken so they built a "bridge" out of used pallets to get over the cracked part?? How many times does this need to happen before we start charging these guys up the wazoo for their own rescue (helicopter search and rescue teams are VERY expensive).

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Agreed. I'm sick of my tax dollars going to rescue idiots climbing mountains during a snowstorm too. I'm not saying we let them die, but definitely charge them an appropriate rescue fee. As Americans we have every right to do stupid things and take risks, but we should have to pay for our stupidity when things go wrong.
MADDasHell

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

WeTheSheeple wrote:
Agreed. I'm sick of my tax dollars going to rescue idiots climbing mountains during a snowstorm too. I'm not saying we let them die, but definitely charge them an appropriate rescue fee. As Americans we have every right to do stupid things and take risks, but we should have to pay for our stupidity when things go wrong.
I'd say, let them die - if they are so stupid as to risk their lives as well as rescue personnel, allow them to join a watery grave.

With any luck, Oak Harbor police will invoice each and every person stuck on the ice (including the dead man) for $20000, so they will never do something so stupid again.
just saying

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Just a correction to the reports. The man who died did not fall into the water, he had a heart attack.
jetta

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

MADDasHell wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say, let them die - if they are so stupid as to risk their lives as well as rescue personnel, allow them to join a watery grave.
With any luck, Oak Harbor police will invoice each and every person stuck on the ice (including the dead man) for $20000, so they will never do something so stupid again.
Let them die? People like you is the reason why this world is in such a mess.

Since: May 08

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

100+...is this some sort of demented pack/mob mentality? I mean, really, if it were a couple of guys who decided to bridge the crack in the ice (during a thaw!?!) that's one thing, but over a hundred of them? Wow!
Wondering Why

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Bleeding Heart wrote:
100+...is this some sort of demented pack/mob mentality? I mean, really, if it were a couple of guys who decided to bridge the crack in the ice (during a thaw!?!) that's one thing, but over a hundred of them? Wow!
This was not good. I hope the Fish were worth it.
My Heart goes to the Family of the person who died.

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Wondering Why wrote:
<quoted text>
This was not good. I hope the Fish were worth it.
My Heart goes to the Family of the person who died.
I definitely agree with you as far as condolences go. Perhaps I made too light of it in my first comment. I just think it awfully bizarre that not one among them thought better of this idea.

Since: Dec 07

the woods, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Wow some of you people are so stupid it is unbelievable. They were ice fishing! Ever been ice fishing on lake erie? There are literally HUNDREDS of people there EVERY SINGLE DAY! Its not like a new thing, and its certainly not a stupid idea. It is a fun, enjoyable activity! Just because most of the morons on this forum couldn't last 3 days without a grocery store or restaurant for their food, doesnt mean you have to badmouth an outdoor sport because it poses some risk.

And to the gentleman above: are you willing to pay $20,000 each time you are involved in a car wreck? Each time you get a speeding ticket? Each time you j-walk? Because those things also endanger yourself and others.

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Tell-It wrote:
Wow some of you people are so stupid it is unbelievable. They were ice fishing! Ever been ice fishing on lake erie? There are literally HUNDREDS of people there EVERY SINGLE DAY! Its not like a new thing, and its certainly not a stupid idea. It is a fun, enjoyable activity! Just because most of the morons on this forum couldn't last 3 days without a grocery store or restaurant for their food, doesnt mean you have to badmouth an outdoor sport because it poses some risk.
And to the gentleman above: are you willing to pay $20,000 each time you are involved in a car wreck? Each time you get a speeding ticket? Each time you j-walk? Because those things also endanger yourself and others.
Yes, dear, and every year (just about)something like this happens, usually to fewer at a time, I'll give you that. One would think that such experienced sportsman would take all things into consideration before venturing out...like the temp, for instance, and/or the large cracks in the ice?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Stupid is, stupid does and idiots like these fisherman continue to populate the planet. If they were to get hit with paying for their rescue costs and given some jail time perhaps these annual displays of Bubba behavior would stop. They annually put the lives of their rescuers at risk, drain taxpayer dollars and tie up the resources of their communities. Shame on them. They should be made to carry lead weights when they go out their.
Copper

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Bleeding Heart wrote:
WOW! Ice fishing must be a new thing and no one has ever been stranded on an Ice flow...wow what will they think of next?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Tell-It wrote:
Driving a vehicle is a calculated risk worth taking for employment, family obligation, charity or simple pleasure. Ice fishing on Lake Erie at this time of year is well known to be foolhardy. If you condone stupidity as a sport then why don't YOU pick up the tab for these jerks? I'm sure they'd enjoy your company.

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Copper wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! Ice fishing must be a new thing and no one has ever been stranded on an Ice flow...wow what will they think of next?
Actually, quite the contrary, which would be why so many people who live around here are less than sympathetic. Usually, it's a couple/few yahoo's at a time. My comment was really a "wow" at the large number in this instance.
We is Retarded

Sylvania, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Its 48 and the sun is out. Lets build a crappy bridge across a huge crack in the melting ice and ignore common sense. Sure its sunny and THE ICE IS MELTING, but hey, we gots ta fish. Uh oh, we is retarded.
Copper

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Bleeding Heart wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, quite the contrary, which would be why so many people who live around here are less than sympathetic. Usually, it's a couple/few yahoo's at a time. My comment was really a "wow" at the large number in this instance.
I can see you have never taken part in Ice fishing. Except that time you seen it on grumpy old men movie or something. I think you have got into a sport that you have no knowlege of. Please go out on the lake ice and get the feel of another dangerous sport fishing day. Take lots of hot chocolate. NO BOOZE.. it'll make you cold and stupid.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

These idiots are probably the same morons I see heading out in their boat in the summer during a thunderstorm.........

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Tell-It wrote:
...... are you willing to pay $20,000 each time you are involved in a car wreck? Each time you get a speeding ticket? Each time you j-walk? Because those things also endanger yourself and others.
Why do you think ambulances started charging for their services?

Yes, I do think a reasonable fee should be charged to recoup the cost of rescue when people have obviously put themselves at risk.

Any reasonable person knows it is unsafe to be on Lake Erie when the ice is breaking up, it's warm, and windy.

People have a right to take risks, but they should be willing to pay the consquences when things go wrong.

BTW, I've been fishing for over 30 years, and have NEVER had to be rescued because of my own stupidity. If I did, I would certainly expect to have to pay for those services.
Copper

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

WeTheSheeple wrote:
These idiots are probably the same morons I see heading out in their boat in the summer during a thunderstorm.........
That's when the keepers bite..
Darwin

Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Tell-It wrote:
And to the gentleman above: are you willing to pay $20,000 each time you are involved in a car wreck?
Of course not. That's why we have this spiffy thing called INSURANCE. In fact, that's a great idea. All ice fishermen should be required to carry rescue insurance. Yes, the masses will be forced to pay for the stupidity of the few... just like the real world.
Each time you get a speeding ticket? Each time you j-walk? Because those things also endanger yourself and others.
Hmmm... I thought we already DO pay fines for speeding and j-walking. What planet are you on? J-walkers don't usually need teams of men in helicopters and wetsuits to rescue them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Swanton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Swanton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••