Driver charged with DWI in fatal Vernon accident

Aug 2, 2008 Full story: The Jersey Journal 161

Ryan Olsen, 22, was pronounced dead at the scene and was one of three people in the car, officials said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
nic owens

Kingston, NY

#1 Aug 3, 2008
ryan olsen nice guy great swimmer we will all miss him very much
phil c

Sussex, NJ

#2 Aug 4, 2008
ryan was a great kid and a good friend i will miss you bud
aquagirl

Massapequa, NY

#3 Aug 4, 2008
When will these young people realize to not drink and drive????!!!!! Ryan was an extraordinary person and his life was taken b/c no one could stay sober??? Or even wait to drive home??? Too many young people are killed in Vernon due to drunk driving related accidents.......Ryan you will be missed........My prayers are with your family and the friends that love you so much
Someone

Manchester, CT

#4 Aug 22, 2008
To aquagirl not for nothing the three of them were drunk. And the one that was driving was always the responsible one that never drove drunk. We've all done it, been in that car, or been driving that car, theres no one to blame, it was a poor decision. It was Ryans time. Hopefully someone will learn and one less person will be lost. Ryan will always be extremly missed and never forgotten. My life will never be the same. SO its not the time to lecture but to try to be strong and supportive.
Ellen Nadeau

Huntington Station, NY

#5 Aug 24, 2008
I didn't know Ryan, but I am heartsick for the loss of a life, and feel for the family. I know it sounds extreme, but let's have a law that enforces no drunk driving. In Norway, no matter who you are, if you drive drunk you lose your license for life. There is always a designated driver.
LuLu

Rochester, NY

#6 Aug 28, 2008
I really didn't know him I saw him once or twice and knew of him. Lake Wallkil's Regatta (my first) didn't seem as entergetic or happy as everyone made it seem I could tell it was a sad day and felt bad all the children confused Ryan with his father the swim coach.

My Condolences to Ryan's family and friends
Tinny

Yonkers, NY

#7 Sep 2, 2008
aquagirl and Ellen ... let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
Marissa

Milford, PA

#8 Sep 3, 2008
Ryan Olsen was the best person you can ever come in contact with. He was my cousin and I looked up to him soo much. What happened is not fair to the family and friends who lost such a great hero.
Realist

United States

#9 Sep 4, 2008
What happened is not fair to anyone but as Tinny said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
Tinny

Wharton, NJ

#10 Sep 4, 2008
Let's be realistic. It could have been Ryan behind the wheel of that car. It's no secret that he was the recipient of a DUI. And my condolences go out to his family , they do, but all three of the kids in that car are a hero to someone and all three families are suffering from this tragedy. So may we all again learn from this and not lay blame.
DD Designated Driver

Washington, NJ

#11 Sep 6, 2008
How many more kids are going to die in Vernon car crashes? It happens every single year. The three young men in the car were all drunk. The driver never drove drunk and I have been around him numerous times when he lectured not only his friends and family but his younger friends in that town. Ryan was a great guy and a friend to Joey and Jay. Those three boys made a decision to drive home that night. It is tragic what happened and what the effect it has on all three families. I have never drank a sip of alcohol and drove a car and I dont ever plan on it. Just like all 3 boys didnt plan for this to happen. Its a sad, sad situation and I pray for Ryan, Joey and Jay everyday.
Mary A

Mount Laurel, NJ

#12 Sep 12, 2008
I am so sorry to the famly for your lost. Your life is forever changed. I wish people would think about the lives that have been lost due to intoxicated drivers before they get in their cars. People think it won't happen to them, but I assure you it can happen to anyone at anytime and when it does you will never be the same. Please think first!
R I P Ryan Olsen

Lehighton, PA

#13 Sep 16, 2008
Why does everyone seem to think Joe is this responsible person, when he obviously drank and drove that night..why wasn't he being responsible then? Ryan or Jay weren't driving that night so it really makes no difference if they were drinking or not. They all should have stayed put as to where they were, someone should have had the keys and the sense to stop them! The lives of all 3 have changed, but only one life was taken, and that loss has truly changed the lives of others. How insensitive of you to bring up the fact that someone had a DUI who is now dead. How can anyone's family be suffering more than the Olsen's; they are the ones who lost their son. How dare you compare the suffering to those of the other families. It's not a competition; everyone is suffering but for different reasons. At least their children are still alive; they will be able to eventually move on and start a life of their own. Ryan is allowed to be a hero to his cousin and he is also a hero to many others. Let's not bash the dead! Yes, all people should have a DD and all DD's should not drink, but I guess Joey was the DD and chose to drink anyways. Look what happened because of that. Maybe we need to better enforce our laws in moving ahead. Ryan you will be missed and our prayers are with your many family and friends.
R I P Ryan Olsen

Lehighton, PA

#14 Sep 16, 2008
Tinny wrote:
Let's be realistic. It could have been Ryan behind the wheel of that car. It's no secret that he was the recipient of a DUI. And my condolences go out to his family , they do, but all three of the kids in that car are a hero to someone and all three families are suffering from this tragedy. So may we all again learn from this and not lay blame.
you're not being very sensitive to the families. If you have nothing nice to say please don't say it at all.
08-02-08 we love you

Lehighton, PA

#15 Sep 16, 2008
Tinny wrote:
this doesnt make sense...it does not matter about ryans past and his DUI...i understand how all the families are suffering but not all in the same way...i understand how they were all heroes to someone...but ryan was a hero to many and he died the day we all celebrate our favorite time of year in lake wallkill...he will never be forgotten and always missed!
love you ry! <3
george VanderMeulen

Pittston, PA

#16 Sep 17, 2008
My prayers go out to Ryan's family. I have lost a brother to a drunk driver, so i know there pain. OUR COUNTRY NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND REALLY PUNISH PEOPLE WHO DRINK AND DRIVE. LETS SEND A REAL MESSAGE, NOT TAKE THERE DRIVING PRIVLEGES AWAY FOR A YEAR AND FINE THEM... HOW ABOUT YOU GET CAUGHT DRINKING AND DRIVING... YOU GO TO JAIL FOR 5 YRS... NO IF ANDS OR BUTS. tHE REASON THIS IS SO WIDELY "EXCEPTED"... IS THAT THERE ARE SO MANY POWERFUL PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY THAT DRINK AND DRIVE!! IN OUR LIVES WE HAVE NO GREATER CHANCE OF BEING KILLED THAN WE DO DRIVING IN OUR CARS EVERYDAY. WE NEED TO SEND A REAL MESSAGE TO THOSE WHO DRINK AND DRIVE... NO SECOND , THIRD OR TENTH CHANCES... GET CAUGHT ONCE... AND YOU WILL BE SEND TO PRISON FOR YEARS!
A Parent

Lehighton, PA

#17 Sep 17, 2008
DD Designated Driver wrote:
How many more kids are going to die in Vernon car crashes? It happens every single year. The three young men in the car were all drunk. The driver never drove drunk and I have been around him numerous times when he lectured not only his friends and family but his younger friends in that town. Ryan was a great guy and a friend to Joey and Jay. Those three boys made a decision to drive home that night. It is tragic what happened and what the effect it has on all three families. I have never drank a sip of alcohol and drove a car and I dont ever plan on it. Just like all 3 boys didnt plan for this to happen. Its a sad, sad situation and I pray for Ryan, Joey and Jay everyday.
Can I ask a question...How do you know all three men in that car were all drunk? Were you there? If so, why didnt you stop them??? Maybe we need to have the people that have parties and give out drinks held accountable for what happens...
parent

Lehighton, PA

#18 Sep 17, 2008
Someone wrote:
To aquagirl not for nothing the three of them were drunk. And the one that was driving was always the responsible one that never drove drunk. We've all done it, been in that car, or been driving that car, theres no one to blame, it was a poor decision. It was Ryans time. Hopefully someone will learn and one less person will be lost. Ryan will always be extremly missed and never forgotten. My life will never be the same. SO its not the time to lecture but to try to be strong and supportive.
Dear Someone...You dont have a clue...
Another Realist

United States

#19 Sep 18, 2008
08-02-08 we love you wrote:
<quoted text>
this doesnt make sense...it does not matter about ryans past and his DUI...i understand how all the families are suffering but not all in the same way...i understand how they were all heroes to someone...but ryan was a hero to many and he died the day we all celebrate our favorite time of year in lake wallkill...he will never be forgotten and always missed!
love you ry! <3
"the day we all CELEBRATE our favorite time of year in Lake Wallkill'... DRINKING?
Another Realist

United States

#20 Sep 18, 2008
R I P Ryan Olsen wrote:
Why does everyone seem to think Joe is this responsible person, when he obviously drank and drove that night..why wasn't he being responsible then? Ryan or Jay weren't driving that night so it really makes no difference if they were drinking or not. They all should have stayed put as to where they were, someone should have had the keys and the sense to stop them! The lives of all 3 have changed, but only one life was taken, and that loss has truly changed the lives of others. How insensitive of you to bring up the fact that someone had a DUI who is now dead. How can anyone's family be suffering more than the Olsen's; they are the ones who lost their son. How dare you compare the suffering to those of the other families. It's not a competition; everyone is suffering but for different reasons. At least their children are still alive; they will be able to eventually move on and start a life of their own. Ryan is allowed to be a hero to his cousin and he is also a hero to many others. Let's not bash the dead! Yes, all people should have a DD and all DD's should not drink, but I guess Joey was the DD and chose to drink anyways. Look what happened because of that. Maybe we need to better enforce our laws in moving ahead. Ryan you will be missed and our prayers are with your many family and friends.
Quoted from a blogger regarding another accident "It's irresponsible to drive drunk and it's even more irresponsible to let a drunk drive you! We're talking about adults here! As long as no one was forced into a car, every person should be responsible for his/her own actions, as dumb as they may be. It's nice to have friends to "remind" you that you shouldn't be driving drunk, but adults (18 and older) shouldn't need babysitters!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sussex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Comet / Heritage Lakes Quarry Directv Change Over 13 hr Questioning 3144 1
Rajputs are illegitimate sons of kshatriya (Dec '11) Mon Chouhan 78
In Vernon students collaborate on school photog... Jan 22 Zach 1
Review: Viridian Energy - Marketing (Aug '10) Jan 19 newflame17 229
Educator faces charge of promoting gambling (Jun '06) Jan 17 F-YOU 2
What will replace Arby's Jan 17 YUMYUM 5
Free Online Training & Certificate Offered in M... (Dec '09) Dec '14 ASJS3117 42

Sussex News Video

Sussex Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Sussex People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:09 am PST