Disturbed by BMA' Political habits

Posted in the Surgoinsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Exposing the Truth

United States

#1 Jul 7, 2009
Information will be released soon that deserves special attention. We will post facts only. This thread is not intended to generate any hateful or personal attacks, Only to expose a pattern of political behavior from some members of the Surgoinsville BMA. For that reason We will post only VERIFIABLE FACTS and direct quotes. We would prefer that others would do the same and avoid opinionated posts on this thread.

If you want the full story Please attend the City Meeting Monday, July 13th at City Hall
Exposing the Truth

United States

#2 Jul 7, 2009
On Tuesday, July 7th, in a conversation at a BMA Workshop (Where all other BMA members were reportedly asked to leave), two Members of the Surgoinsville BMA asked current Fire Chief Jason Johnson to resign from his position in order to make way for a relatively new member of the fire department with significantly less experience with the department. Johnson refused to resign his position.

In a previous conversation on July 3rd, Chief Johnson, after being informed by another member of the department that he would be relieved of his duties, contacted one of the same two BMA Members for verification. Johnson was told by that BMA member that there were no such plans. He also told Johnson that if there were plans to do that he would have told him already.

When they become available we will provide more verifiable facts.

Please Remember:
We would prefer that everyone avoid opinionated posts on this thread.

It will all play out on the record at the City Meeting Monday, July 13th at City Hall. If you are a concerned citizen, please attend.
Reliable

United States

#3 Jul 7, 2009
You seem to know alot about private conversations. It is mentioned that two board members ask For Jason's resignation, which two?

Who is the replacement? If facts are going to be shared, share. Is the replacement in some way connected with those BMA members? Give some more details.

If you are asking for support, you need to provide details for this fight. I truly believe that Jason has ran the department as he saw fit. However, I can not support a blind cause.

What is the ground for their asking for his resignation?
Exposing the Truth

Hermitage, TN

#4 Jul 8, 2009
Reliable, Thank you for your interest. We had not previously included names because we had not verified them with our source and the last thing we want to do is misinform. We have since verified the names and below is a re-post of the information including the names of those involved.

Concerning the reason for their resignation request, They cited that they want the fire department to "move up"

-------
Re-Post with verified information
-------
On Tuesday, July 7th, in a conversation at a BMA Workshop (Where all other BMA members were reportedly asked to leave), Vice Mayor, Tim Hoss and Alderman, Merrill Graham asked current Fire Chief Jason Johnson to resign from his position in order to make way for Dustin Housewright, a relatively new member of the fire department who's active involvement in department calls has been relatively limited since 2008. Johnson refused to resign his position.

In a previous conversation on July 3rd, Chief Johnson, after being informed by another member of the department that he would be replaced by Housewright at the next city meeting, contacted Alderman, Graham to verify the information. Johnson was told by Graham that there were no such plans. Graham also told Johnson that if there were plans to do that he would have told him already.

Please Remember:
We would prefer that everyone avoid opinionated posts on this thread.

It will all play out on the record at the City Meeting Monday, July 13th at City Hall. If you are a concerned citizen, please attend.
----------
Technical note:

To those who may question the variation in IP address. We are currently posting from a different physical location.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#5 Jul 8, 2009
I would like to add that Jason has been a loyal and dedicated member for 10 years and Chief for nearly 4 years! He has done a tremendous job making time for the BMA and he's done his best trying to accommodate all their needs- including taking time off of work to attend workshops and meetings.
Concerned Citizen

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jul 8, 2009
I have marked Monday on my calendar! I will be very interested to hear the reasons, if any, the Mayor and Alderman feel Mr. Housewright better suited for the job than the loyal and experienced Mr. Johnson. I am completely unaware of any reason why Mr. Johnson should resign and admire him for not doing so when pushed by city officials without cause.... I fear that Mr. Johnson's departure from the fire department will lead to the departure of other loyal volunteers, leaving this city with a less than adequate fire/emergency response team.... What I'm trying to figure out and hope they can explain to us all Monday is - why try to fix it if it ain't broke?
Voice Your Opinions

United States

#7 Jul 8, 2009
Since this thread is being designated for Facts and Quotes, here is a different thread on the same subject that is an acceptable place to share with a little more emotion. If you are interested, the link is below:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/surgoinsville...
Gone

Strawberry Plains, TN

#8 Jul 8, 2009
The BMA & the new back stabbing chief & his boyfriends better be ready to carry a bunch of stuff out of the meeting. The assistant chief was too worried about trying to look good for the rescue squad than actually being the assitant chief. That is because he became really close with the wanna-be firefighter that is with that same org. I just hope that Mayor Greer realizes what he has let his BMA do. To me they all should have to resign and we can get new people that care about their city.
Other thread please

United States

#9 Jul 8, 2009
Gone wrote:
The BMA & the new back stabbing chief & his boyfriends better be ready to carry a bunch of stuff out of the meeting. The assistant chief was too worried about trying to look good for the rescue squad than actually being the assitant chief. That is because he became really close with the wanna-be firefighter that is with that same org. I just hope that Mayor Greer realizes what he has let his BMA do. To me they all should have to resign and we can get new people that care about their city.
Please post this type of opinion here:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/surgoinsville...
Take A Stand

Nashville, TN

#10 Jul 8, 2009
I think that if Merrell can ask for Cheif Johnson's resignation without reason than we can ask for his on Monday night. Who's with me?!?!?
All Aldermans should be like RALPH BASS!!

RALPH BASS FOR MAYOR!!
speechless

Knoxville, TN

#11 Jul 9, 2009
As a Surgoinsville native, I'm actully speechless at the finger pointing and the "pissing contest" that is taking place on an internet website. It sickens me to know what our small town elected officials have done and will continue to do, as long as they're in office. I voted and campaigned for Mr Greer and Mr Graham and have been sorry ever since. My apologies for my voting neglence to the City of Surgoinsville, I can promise it won't happen again.
UHM

United States

#12 Jul 9, 2009
Always more to the story, there is.

http://timesnews.net/article.php...

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#13 Jul 10, 2009
UHM wrote:
Always more to the story, there is.
http://timesnews.net/article.php...
Monday Night! The facts will be displayed for all to see.:)
Concerned Citizen

Knoxville, TN

#14 Jul 10, 2009
It appears the city is grasping at straws, using the lack of two classes as their reason for asking asking Chief Johnson to resign... It would be different if Johnson had refused the classes, but if the man is willing to work around his work schedule to get certified, when asked --- then what straws do they have to grasp?... It's sweet of them to ask that he stay as a senior member of the department, but after such a slap in the face --- would you?
UHM

Kingsport, TN

#15 Jul 10, 2009
Under what city bylaw is the bma using to replace Jason? Has the grant been awarded to the city? How long would it take for Jason to get certification?

Would not trust the bma for answers, research for yourself. I was always under the notion that the bma held no interest in the fire department, unless they disbanded and even then just to take control of the equipment.

Where is Johnny in all this? He just give power away? What are the stands of the rest of the bma?
Take A Stand

Nashville, TN

#16 Jul 10, 2009
"Housewright has already been appointed interim fire chief. Johnson said Thursday he was asked Tuesday to resign as chief but never resigned and hasn’t been fired.

Graham told the Times-News Thursday he spoke with Johnson Tuesday in the company of Vice Mayor Tim Hoss, and Johnson agreed to step down."
quoted from the Times News article.

Sounds to me like Merrill Graham lied to the Times News about Chief Johnson stepping down. He won't be able to lie when the cameras are rolling on Monday night!!
UHM

United States

#17 Jul 11, 2009
Not that I have dog in this race but saw a petition at a local gas station for this whole mess.

Just passing along info. It also advised that you have to call city hall in order to be placed on agenda in order to voice your opinion.
Take A Stand

Nashville, TN

#18 Jul 13, 2009
Just heard that Mayor Johnny Greer will not be present at tonights meeting. He said that he has to work but I'm pretty sure that his job is MAYOR OF SURGOINSVILLE!! I know that he is in a band and all but it should be mandatory that he attends all meetings.

I still say RALPH BASS for MAYOR!

UHM

Since: Jul 09

United States

#19 Jul 13, 2009
His absence will give him the opprotunity to distance himself from the mess. He can exclaim that he did not vote, therefore he was not involved and wishes he could have done more.

He is the mayor. He should be there to be the leader that was elected by this backwards town.

You know our zipcode says it all....37873, same forward as it is backward, just like the town and all its leaders, both present and past.
jaw on the floor

Knoxville, TN

#20 Jul 14, 2009
Take A Stand wrote:
Sounds to me like Merrill Graham lied to the Times News about Chief Johnson stepping down. He won't be able to lie when the cameras are rolling on Monday night!!
Well, sadly, it appears you were wrong. somehow he had the guts to lie in front of everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Surgoinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
________Flat Earth ________ 10 min Trumpisdumb 24
Poll Hillary Clinton for President (Jul '15) 21 min Trumpisdumb 23
WTF is wrong with people in Greeneville? 29 min Trumpisdumb 11
Barrette Outdoor Living's New Romance (Oct '15) 46 min sara 24
Brandon clark 1 hr Von Dooskie 2
Some one asks Jackie Lindsey if she was at the Hog 2 hr u know dats rite 1
Mary Jane in a state park 2 hr Von Dooskie 1

Surgoinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance