Good Landlord Program

Posted in the Sunset Forum

One Upset Landlord

Layton, UT

#1 Oct 19, 2010
Why would the City council put off voting on this until after the elections?
This is another Government intrusion into private citizenís lives. Even though the affected tax payer base is minimal, it is once again additional limits on freedom to run your own business.
What is the payoff for Roy City? It would seem a win/ win situation for them. Either they get additional revenue from the tax hammer they are swinging to "encourage" landlords to come forward and learn how the city is going to add additional costs to running their business or they get landlords that have not been paying business fees by them coming forward. I would think that there is a better way to get missing revenues that to threaten a minority with additional fees.
richard saunders

Salt Lake City, UT

#2 Dec 10, 2010
This is a program that stinks. Besides ripping off landlords for extra fees, it is designed to put the landlord in the position of police officer, having to police his tenants with threats of eviction. As anyone knows, tenants in seedy neighborhoods do not like to be threatened with eviction and will damage property, or even threaten the landlord to get even. I had a rental in a "good landlord" city and sold it because it was such a headache. Avoid owning properties in cities that license landlords under this program, its just not worth the hassle. This program is spreading like wildfire to put more money in the hands of greedy politicians, and stick it to the landlord, who everyone thinks is just some deep pockets guy with endless money for fees and endless time to police tenants for the city. Before you buy any rental property, make sure it is not in one of these cities, or that they are not proposing it. I suspect the people that run the good landlord program also make a pretty penny selling their program to the cities and landlords they force to attend their silly workshops. Just say NO to this program.
One Upset Landlord

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Jan 18, 2011
Well, apparently the program was passed without any further discussion that I can see. I attended the council meeting that this was to be discussed (per the news paper) and it was not brought up at all. When I had an opportunity to express my concerns about the program, I was told that it was not yet in its final form but I would get a copy of it to review before the council votes. That never arrived but I see in the City news letter that it has now been approved. I wonder if they actually read it. The city of Roy seems to be just as open and transparent as the last Democratic lead congress was. A big thanks to them?
Anonymous

Syracuse, UT

#4 Feb 23, 2011
One Upset Landlord wrote:
Well, apparently the program was passed without any further discussion that I can see. I attended the council meeting that this was to be discussed (per the news paper) and it was not brought up at all. When I had an opportunity to express my concerns about the program, I was told that it was not yet in its final form but I would get a copy of it to review before the council votes. That never arrived but I see in the City news letter that it has now been approved. I wonder if they actually read it. The city of Roy seems to be just as open and transparent as the last Democratic lead congress was. A big thanks to them?
ANOTHER GREAT PROGRAM FOR OUR CONSERVATIVE UTAH:)
PAYDAY JUICE LOANS ON EVERY CORNER CHARGING 550 TO 800% INTEREST MAFIOSA JUICE LOANS TO OUR SENIORS,POOR AND IMMIGRANTS,ONE MUST OWN A RESTAURANT TO HAVE A HOT DOG STAND,IF YOU THE HOSPITAL
DYING AND YOUR GRASS GETS A LITTLE BROWN OR HGH,THE OGDEN GOVERNMENT WILL PUT A LIEN ON YOUR HOME,FINE YOU HUNDRED PLUS A DAY AND PUT YOU IN JAIL IF YOU DON'T DIE AND COME HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL.
ISN'T CONSERVATSISM WONDERFUL,WHATS NEXT AFTER THIS,CAMERAS IN THE PARK WASHROOMS?
AND THEY ARE WORRIED ABOUT OBAMA CARE,WHAT A LAUGH!
AHHH,GEORGE ORWELL,THAY SAID IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN IN AMERICA,MISTAKE ITS HERE!
WELCOME TO THE LAND OF OZ.
Brooke Larsen

Kaysville, UT

#5 Aug 17, 2011
It's nice to see that i'm not the only human out here that just doesnt agree with this good land lord program, what a joke. This program keeps good people homeless and forced to do things to survive on the streets. People make mistakes.once they have paid their debt to society, its no ones damn business. these people are constantly hounded and drove out. Most people do straighten out and should be given second chances. Come on, felons are denied descent jobs and homes to raise their families. Discrimination is'nt ok by any standard. I know a member of this "good landlord program". He owns several places in ogden and has his son and daughter inlaw manage these units, no crime in that but they are known meth addicts and drug dealers that move other drug dealers into the properties .800 block of 23rd street.STOP IT NOW!

Since: Jan 12

Bountiful, UT

#6 Jan 4, 2012
I suppose you were one of those drug dealers who was "moved in" or are you the nosy stuck in the closet neighbor who peaks out the blinds in between sucking on there crack pipe and who know what else you do besides talk a lot of gossip about every one but your self I for one am so tired and fed up with big gits like yourself who do nothing for any one in society complain yet never help a soul and probably the first in line for handouts of every kind. But I surely would not know you and I may be harsh with my opinion but I do know people like yourself need look in the mirror and judge that face start owning what and who you really are and leave the slanderous gossip there as well. Don't you have any thing better to do? why don't you volunteer and help someone for once and possibly you will stop your own hatred and find love for your self. Good luck with your self find your self maybe you would like yourself. haters and tweekers are so ignorant and blind with self pity
Brooke Larsen wrote:
It's nice to see that i'm not the only human out here that just doesnt agree with this good land lord program, what a joke. This program keeps good people homeless and forced to do things to survive on the streets. People make mistakes.once they have paid their debt to society, its no ones damn business. these people are constantly hounded and drove out. Most people do straighten out and should be given second chances. Come on, felons are denied descent jobs and homes to raise their families. Discrimination is'nt ok by any standard. I know a member of this "good landlord program". He owns several places in ogden and has his son and daughter inlaw manage these units, no crime in that but they are known meth addicts and drug dealers that move other drug dealers into the properties .800 block of 23rd street.STOP IT NOW!
Samantha

Salt Lake City, UT

#7 Jan 19, 2012
This program sux ass cuz of the stupid people who put it together.. you shouldnt judge people and not allow them to rent even if they have a record,, screw all of you
Brooke Larsen

Syracuse, UT

#8 Jan 23, 2012
Maybe I am one of those people with a past. Sounds to me like your one of those people that look thru the blinds while feeding this poison to their kids to keep them in control you sick !!!!!!!!piece of garbage. My point to what I was implying is that the Good Landlord program does not accomplish what the programs premise is designed around and is abused by the people it tries to keep out. It does not work ! Dont judge me MONKEY....you have not idea and by the way SHUT UP !
knew you wrote:
I suppose you were one of those drug dealers who was "moved in" or are you the nosy stuck in the closet neighbor who peaks out the blinds in between sucking on there crack pipe and who know what else you do besides talk a lot of gossip about every one but your self I for one am so tired and fed up with big gits like yourself who do nothing for any one in society complain yet never help a soul and probably the first in line for handouts of every kind. But I surely would not know you and I may be harsh with my opinion but I do know people like yourself need look in the mirror and judge that face start owning what and who you really are and leave the slanderous gossip there as well. Don't you have any thing better to do? why don't you volunteer and help someone for once and possibly you will stop your own hatred and find love for your self. Good luck with your self find your self maybe you would like yourself. haters and tweekers are so ignorant and blind with self pity <quoted text>
Jesse

El Monte, CA

#9 Aug 31, 2012
I think the good landlord law sucks, I'm 32 and cant live anywhere nice. I grew up running the streets doing dumb stuff to survive and eat. I got stuck with some charges, with no family to help with my defence, and ended up with the stiffest penaltys for those charges. Ok so what, I served my time to society. No sex crimes, no person crimes and no violent crimes, and its been 12 years since I've been off probation and parolee and no new charges and I still cant find a decent place to live because of this BS good landlord law. How can they still judge me, and hold that against me after all these years. I have no say I'm a felon and cant vote either nice
Rich Middleton

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Jan 29, 2014
Some one has to keep thier eye on the greedy landlords.I rented an apartment at Pepperidge Apt's - they charged a 200 dollar initiation fee and a 300 dollar pet deposit (of which only one hundred would be refundable). I lived there for 6 years-the carpet was in sad shape when I moved in-now that I've moved they say I owe them money for one bag of trash (50 $) new carpet (??$) no refund on the rent paid to the 31-even tho I gave plenty of notice & moved on the 21st..Any reason to squeeze an extra buck out of you. The windows in the entire complex are all installed backwards- Take out two screws and the fixed window turns into a slider. The maintenance people there are not to be trusted either. I had several neighbors who told me that after maintenance was done on thier apt's , things were missing.My apt I changed the dead bolt so no one but I could get in- oh yes-they are charging me $$ for changing the lock back. I know the dead bolt I installed will show up in thier clearance store in Clearfield.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sunset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rachael Runyon Murder Case Re-Opens After 25 Years (Sep '07) May '14 Rachel 13
More Teacher Misconduct Cases Reported (Oct '09) May '14 Stockton 3
11-2-11 Ryerson Opens Facility (Jan '14) May '14 Lacy J 2
UT Who do you support for Governor in Utah in 2010? (Oct '10) Nov '13 Associated Headlines 146
Naked man found inside Roy junior high girl's l... (Jul '11) Jul '11 alec marion 1
Review: Gossip Hair Salon (Jun '10) Apr '11 Customer 3
UT Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Utah in 2... (Oct '10) Nov '10 wibauxwoman 112

Sunset Jobs

Sunset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Sunset News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Sunset

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]