California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
3,361 - 3,380 of 4,977 Comments Last updated 7 min ago
FlyingHorse

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Did you get your kickjs this morning?
Oh Brother

California City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

The Failed state of California. Second broke state in the union. Nevada being number one. Because of Obama and his illegal aliens. No jobs for Americans. Obama put illegal aliens before Americans. Ron Paul said we need the military on our border NOW! How could Americans be so blind as to what is happening to our nation. I'm voting for a new puppet. Jerry Brown is a whore.
GoofBall

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Not only do you get one, butt more are added later.

P.S. bring your own paper to clean up the mess you keep making.

Marketing like this must be legal.

No spray cans, just paint buckets and brushes.
Snommoc

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

BrandX wrote:
George Clooney is queer
George Clooney is an Obama sucking, liberal piece of shit.
GoofBall

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Just how do you play goofball anyway?

Your get five or more racists idiots to post their threatening rants on any web sites topics.

Is that anything like BIG GOTS?
tim macdonald

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

I wish all liberals would just choke on plastic
Flyinghorse

West Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

Witha scooper and plastic bags, they fly in to action and clean up afterwards.
YeahSoYouThinkSo

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

Rose wrote:
Now that I read the posts made by con dumbs, I'm in favor of it. Why don't con dumbs care about the environment? Why do they always whine, "PC"?
Why do people always think of the environment, we are not hurting it in any way, the whole global warming was a hoax get with the program, and for the bags being BAN is just going to cause more unemployment, and for biodegradable is just going to rise prices on groceries. so whatever is what i would say, is not like they asked for our vote.
YeahSoYouThinkSo

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

And who says that the plastic bags are not reusable?
1. I use it as a one or two time lunch bag
2. use as a garbage bag<--# 1 choice of use.
3. store things temporarily
There is all sorts of use for these plastic bags,and if we are going to @#$@# about plastic bags why don't we just ban plastic all together, and lets not forget Styrofoam get those @#$#% out the restaurants tooo....
Were back

Sierra Madre, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

WoW, never thought that commercial would end.
YeahSoYouThinkSo

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Oh Brother wrote:
The Failed state of California. Second broke state in the union. Nevada being number one. Because of Obama and his illegal aliens. No jobs for Americans. Obama put illegal aliens before Americans. Ron Paul said we need the military on our border NOW! How could Americans be so blind as to what is happening to our nation. I'm voting for a new puppet. Jerry Brown is a whore.
Stick with the subject!
Were back

Sierra Madre, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

Oops looks like another commercial.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

YeahSoYouThinkSo wrote:
And who says that the plastic bags are not reusable?
1. I use it as a one or two time lunch bag
2. use as a garbage bag<--# 1 choice of use.
3. store things temporarily
There is all sorts of use for these plastic bags,and if we are going to @#$@# about plastic bags why don't we just ban plastic all together, and lets not forget Styrofoam get those @#$#% out the restaurants tooo....
YeahSoYouThinkSo.

This foot-in-the-door Lowenthal grocery bag harassment tax had its genesis in revolutionary Long Beach. Long Beach is home to one of the most radical of the expensive taxpayer supported of the States' university system, second only to that of Berkeley, of "filthy speech" fame. Wealthy "Liberal" university snobs have long looked down their noses at the States' increasingly impoverished worker *("middle")* class minority who are forced to pay their exorbitant salaries, and who are "on the hook" *(so to speak")* for $ Billions $ more worth of unfunded taxpayer obligated retirement moneys.

In a more humane era, California legislators exempted Californians from the need to pay increasingly burdensome sales taxes on food. The post-60's era revolutionary element who are now firmly in control of California have always resented that - what they call - "tax break". I fear the Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax is the first step towards imposing a confiscatory Government sales tax on food, just as Californians have been burdened with goods taxes.

Incidentally, the revolutionaries are all too clever. In Long Beach, the voting majority of city residents who pay for their groceries with taxpayer funded food stamps are exempt from paying the Lowenthal harassment tax.

Ronald
YeahSoYouThinkSo

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Were back wrote:
Oops looks like another commercial.
done with commercials:)
YeahSoYouThinkSo

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
YeahSoYouThinkSo.
This foot-in-the-door Lowenthal grocery bag harassment tax had its genesis in revolutionary Long Beach. Long Beach is home to one of the most radical of the expensive taxpayer supported of the States' university system, second only to that of Berkeley, of "filthy speech" fame. Wealthy "Liberal" university snobs have long looked down their noses at the States' increasingly impoverished worker *("middle")* class minority who are forced to pay their exorbitant salaries, and who are "on the hook" *(so to speak")* for $ Billions $ more worth of unfunded taxpayer obligated retirement moneys.
In a more humane era, California legislators exempted Californians from the need to pay increasingly burdensome sales taxes on food. The post-60's era revolutionary element who are now firmly in control of California have always resented that - what they call - "tax break". I fear the Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax is the first step towards imposing a confiscatory Government sales tax on food, just as Californians have been burdened with goods taxes.
Incidentally, the revolutionaries are all too clever. In Long Beach, the voting majority of city residents who pay for their groceries with taxpayer funded food stamps are exempt from paying the Lowenthal harassment tax.
Ronald
Did you just copy and paste this from a previous comment?
don't answer you did!:) And to bad I dont qualify for food stamps,I get @#$% for having a job.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

YeahSoYouThinkSo wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you just copy and paste this from a previous comment?
don't answer you did!:) And to bad I dont qualify for food stamps,I get @#$% for having a job.
YeahSoYouThinkSo.

No. The post was directed towards your post. I did not cut and paste from a previous post.

It's unfortunate that you are engaged in gainful employment. You may be aware that, when the California revolutionary ruling class politicians tally up the income of "the poor", they only tally various kinds of taxpayer provided cash income. Once their of-kind benefits - such as "free" taxpayer funded telephones, food stamps, and myriad other taxpayer funded "entitlements" - including their exemption from being required to pay the Lowenthal grocery bag harassment tax - are included though, one can easily understand why the States' voting majority - the so-called "the poor" - are living a lifestyle far and above that of the minority of struggling worker *("middle")* class employed people whom the politicians are charging to pay for it.

Ronald
Were back

Sierra Madre, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Judged:

Where is the band, Oh that wan't the band? Then where is it?
Lincoln Sam

Lincoln, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

We hope they're banned. We've been using canvas totes for many years.
The American Chemistry Council is nothing more than a lobby for the chemical industry that makes the bags and much more.
Were back

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

Judged:

How do you wrap a plastic station break?
Escorat

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

They tried this years agon in California, it failed. Besides plastic bags they tried it on 6 pack plastic holders that failed too. What about all the plastic car parts we have strewn across our freeways, you going to out law plastic cars?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sunnyvale Discussions

Search the Sunnyvale Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... 20 min William Knight 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr BoinkO 200,560
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr facts faced 15,929
Border Agents Make Zero-Tolerance Zone (Aug '06) 10 hr guest 48
comment 17 hr Just Thinking 13
Google, Oracle Enlisted to Help Fix Obamacare Site (Nov '13) 17 hr Just Thinking 8
Complaints Against Google+ 17 hr Just Thinking 79
•••
•••

Sunnyvale News Video

•••
Sunnyvale Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Sunnyvale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000