Lakewood Ambulance out of business

Lakewood Ambulance is out of business and will no longer service the five townships it covered. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Catattack

United States

#1 Apr 23, 2008
How is it that the 'government' can make decisions without asking the people that these decisions will affect?

Thanks Odessa Twp.

The Far Right

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2008
Just hope they don't end up with the Rockford Death Squad (aka Rockford Ambulance)
Ionia Co Res

Wixom, MI

#3 Apr 23, 2008
LOL!!
The Far Right wrote:
Just hope they don't end up with the Rockford Death Squad (aka Rockford Ambulance)
Kyle

United States

#4 Apr 23, 2008
I'm from woodland in Barry County. Last year I found out that I had Colon Cancer the hard way. When Lakewood Ambulance got to my house (very fast) I had no radial pulse. They have saved my life twice in the last year. The "powers that be" should think, "what if it was me", instead of saving a few bucks. The first responders while educated and do get there quickly, do not have the equipment always needed that an ambulance would have. I thank God for them every day. I'm forty three and have a three year old son who would miss his dad. Think about it.
cranky

AOL

#5 Apr 23, 2008
Pay more in taxes and get less services.....the american way
On-the-plus-side

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Apr 23, 2008
Perhaps some scenario may occur where an Odessa Township official will need service then in a dying gasp realize that he or she is directly responsible for there not being a service to save his or her life. That's one way to get the bums out of office.
janie

United States

#7 Apr 23, 2008
jim robertson isnt telling all to the press. the other townships paid to be contracted to lakewood and he wanted it his way and no other way so he sent all the money back to the other townships and is now blaming odessa. but i have to agree when the people who didnt want lakewood in our area get hurt or they need a rig to help, its going to suck to be them. it seems to me like jim wants it his way or he's packing up his toys and going home.
Catattack

United States

#8 Apr 23, 2008
The Far Right wrote:
Just hope they don't end up with the Rockford Death Squad (aka Rockford Ambulance)
We've had them and they left also! not 'enough' business way out here
lets get the facts please

Lowell, WI

#9 Apr 23, 2008
Before everyone judges the township officials, they should get all the facts about the ambulance service and their own issues including finances, true response time and quality of care. Check with the state regulatory agency and the county officials if you want a true picture.
Hmmm

Grandville, MI

#10 Apr 23, 2008
Were they not billing patients, Insurance, Medicare/Medicare enough??? Seems like a business plan problem to me....... They knew 12 (?) years ago that Odessa Twp had no intention of paying......
KELLI

United States

#11 Apr 23, 2008
lets get the facts please wrote:
Before everyone judges the township officials, they should get all the facts about the ambulance service and their own issues including finances, true response time and quality of care. Check with the state regulatory agency and the county officials if you want a true picture.
In a small town, like ours everyone knows everyone..and everyone knows everyone elses business. And with Nextel's direct connect.. You would be amazed at what we all know.

I REALLY hope they don't bring Rockford back, I was involved in a car accident, the man that hit me unconscious--we called that Rocford Ambulance three times and no respone, and no reply. The accident happened in front of their own building, but they were no where to be found. As it turned out Rockford Ambulance left their coverage area without letting dispatch know and were miles away. I know this to be a fact.

Our area lacks the resources to pay for an adequetly equipped ambulance -- So we all need to consider taking CPR and first AID -- And hope we never need to use it.
Catattack

United States

#12 Apr 23, 2008
lets get the facts please wrote:
Before everyone judges the township officials, they should get all the facts about the ambulance service and their own issues including finances, true response time and quality of care. Check with the state regulatory agency and the county officials if you want a true picture.
then why not put it to a vote? the twp can ask for a milage to fund whatever ambulance service it chooses but not to fund the local service? response time will double since the ambulances will now have to travel twice as far to get where they are needed. Every time our family has needed an ambulance it arrived very quickly with caring, considerate, knowledgable caregivers who took the time to listen to the family and get information they needed.
lets get the facts please

Lowell, WI

#13 Apr 23, 2008
I agree 100% that the township needs to put the milage to a vote to fund ambulance service. However, the process of selecting the service must be done in a professional manner based on the proposals that are received not based on the personalities of the individuals. The service selected has to be accountable because they will be receiving taxpayer dollars and not hide behind the "we're a private company" argument that Lakewood has used. The issues of quality care, accountability and the viability of the business should be very important to address. I have had some very different experiences than you have had with Lakewood Ambulance and I seriously question the quality of care that the residents of our five townships have been receiving.
Fed up

United States

#14 Apr 23, 2008
The Odessa Townships supervisor was deader then a door knob on the steps of the township hall 3 years ago and guess who saved his life. Yup your correct Lakewood AMB.
On-the-plus-side wrote:
Perhaps some scenario may occur where an Odessa Township official will need service then in a dying gasp realize that he or she is directly responsible for there not being a service to save his or her life. That's one way to get the bums out of office.
Ken Cote

United States

#15 Apr 23, 2008
Odessa Townships big wigs can afford to give taxpayers money to the Historic Society, give themselves a 401k, and a health plan (don't forget they are part-part-time employees) but couldn't give a rats rear end to save lives of their own neighbors. As for the Odessa Township Clerk she is the most vulgar, rudest, and dishonest person on the board and that is a hard title to capture from her peers. A few years ago the good citizens of Lake Odessa got tired of the bad apples in office and they were forced to run with their tails between their legs. Maybe it's time to clean house over at the Odessa Township Hall.

Don't forget Lake Odessa is in Odessa Township and if your elected officials do not have the back bone to stand up to the Mighty 3 then maybe there needs to be another house cleaning at city hall.
do you really know

Charlotte, MI

#16 Apr 23, 2008
Jim robertson has busted his butt since day one at that company, tring to keep the doors open, he looked at things from every point of view and thightend the belt where ever he could. People don't understand how much money it takes to run an ambulance company, do people know he's is working nearly round the clock even now to make sure things are shut down properly knowing that he probably won't get any more pay checks. That's the kind of guy he is. And you want to know the worst thing, he had that service working, things were starting to get cleaned up after the fiasco the last director left that station it. But with minimal supplys, limited man power and working out a broken down, nearly condemed farmhouse, he kept that bussiness running, but stupid board members who know nothing about EMS thought they didn't need an ambulance. Well let me tell you something, when your woken up in the middle of the night with a crushing chest pain that radiates down your left arm and your minutes from death, your going to call an ambulance and in the 25 minutes it takes mercy to get there your going to wish jim robertson and the rest of lakewood ems was there . This decision will cause so many people to suffer, How many I wonder will die while these townships take out bids for a new service. Think about that, And the next time you bash a hero like Jim, know what the heck yuor talking about.
janie wrote:
jim robertson isnt telling all to the press. the other townships paid to be contracted to lakewood and he wanted it his way and no other way so he sent all the money back to the other townships and is now blaming odessa. but i have to agree when the people who didnt want lakewood in our area get hurt or they need a rig to help, its going to suck to be them. it seems to me like jim wants it his way or he's packing up his toys and going home.
Former volunteer

Ionia, MI

#17 Apr 23, 2008
I think there are a lot of issues not being covered here. Lakewood Ambulance has been financially strapped forever but it seems to me since the huge change in staff a few years ago it has only gone down hill. On a positive note though, the people at Lakewood have always been good to my family. Gretchen held me in her arms last summer when I was devastated by the loss of my aunt. That is not the kind of compassion you can just "buy" & it's not something the Lakewood community will get from an outside company. I am praying for this elderly community. I don't know what it will be like for them with no means of immediate care.
guess again

Lansing, MI

#18 Apr 24, 2008
I think it was the Lake Odessa Fire Department's AED that saved the Twp supervisor - not Lakewood Ambulance.
Fed up wrote:
The Odessa Townships supervisor was deader then a door knob on the steps of the township hall 3 years ago and guess who saved his life. Yup your correct Lakewood AMB.
<quoted text>
janie

United States

#19 Apr 24, 2008
do you really know wrote:
Jim robertson has busted his butt since day one at that company, tring to keep the doors open, he looked at things from every point of view and thightend the belt where ever he could. People don't understand how much money it takes to run an ambulance company, do people know he's is working nearly round the clock even now to make sure things are shut down properly knowing that he probably won't get any more pay checks. That's the kind of guy he is. And you want to know the worst thing, he had that service working, things were starting to get cleaned up after the fiasco the last director left that station it. But with minimal supplys, limited man power and working out a broken down, nearly condemed farmhouse, he kept that bussiness running, but stupid board members who know nothing about EMS thought they didn't need an ambulance. Well let me tell you something, when your woken up in the middle of the night with a crushing chest pain that radiates down your left arm and your minutes from death, your going to call an ambulance and in the 25 minutes it takes mercy to get there your going to wish jim robertson and the rest of lakewood ems was there . This decision will cause so many people to suffer, How many I wonder will die while these townships take out bids for a new service. Think about that, And the next time you bash a hero like Jim, know what the heck yuor talking about. <quoted text>
I know first hand what is going on, sorry that it upset you but i do know what is going on
Ben

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#20 Apr 24, 2008
First responders can not replace a well trained ambulance crew. What a travesty to residents of those townships.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sunfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Sep 22 JAH 170
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) Sep 22 gamy 97
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Sep 21 Eldorado 129
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Sep 2 just the tip 303
2015 Popularity of Ford Crossover-utility Vehic... Aug '14 mamamoe 1
SpartanNash closing Family Fare store in Cedar ... Aug '14 Linda DeKlein 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482

Sunfield Jobs

Sunfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Sunfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Sunfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]