Worries increase that MI gas prices are up

Follow the prices -- Gas Price Watch GasBuddy.com "); var headline = escape ; OpenWin "> Follow the prices -- Gas Price Watch GasBuddy.com "); var headline = escape ; OpenWin " STYLE="color:#0033FF"> Email Text ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
pdkhuroncounty

Bad Axe, MI

#1 Sep 12, 2008
I HAVE ALREADY HEARD OF PRICES IN BAY CITY AREA AT OR OVER $5 PER GALLON. ALL I CAN SAY IS I HOPE THAT THESE STATION OWNERS HAVE OTHER JOBS TO LIVE ON BECAUSE WHEN THE DUST SETTLES, THEY WILL NOT BE IN THE GASOLINE BUSINESS.
Jim B

River Rouge, MI

#2 Sep 12, 2008
I have stopped shopping at Wal-Mart,started bypassing Shell and Mobil for Speedway and Meijer,stopped eating out or spending anything that I don't have to. When the retailers, especially the BIG ones start complaining and losing money there will be a change.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 Sep 12, 2008
Time to get rid of the republican rulers. Vote anything other than McSame.
TommyO

Lowell, MI

#4 Sep 12, 2008
I agree! Time to oust those in control. And the Congress is controlled by the Democrats - with a 9% approval rating. That's right, the lawmakers that actually run things are already all dems and they are at a single digit approval rating. But then, you don't want to hear that because you can't make a cute word play on Obama's name. God forbid you harangue the Kennedy dynasty. Or Jenny, here in Mi - she's done a GREAT job with our state. Perhaps we could look to Detroit dem mayors for help, or to Grand Rapids dem mayor. Nah - the whole state and both cities are cesspools of lazy leeching slobs from the unions that ran all the business out of the state.
Arctic49519 wrote:
Time to get rid of the
republican rulers. Vote anything other than McSame.
Fred

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Sep 12, 2008
This has been coming for a long time. Clinton started it and Bush did not intervene.
Jim B

River Rouge, MI

#6 Sep 12, 2008
Have you lost touch with reality? I think gas was $1.29 when bush took over and let his big oil buddies make the big bucks before we start phasing out the oil industry.
Fred wrote:
This has been coming for a long time. Clinton started it and Bush did not intervene.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#7 Sep 12, 2008
Jim B wrote:
Have you lost touch with reality? I think gas was $1.29 when bush took over and let his big oil buddies make the big bucks before we start phasing out the oil industry.
<quoted text>
Gas hasn't been a 1.29 since the mid 90's. I was still in college then. It started flirting with at least 1.75 and shot over 2.00 after Sept 11.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#8 Sep 12, 2008
And funny.. it was said on the news that the SPECULATORS are the ones affecting the gas prices. Imagine that!

Not saying the oil companies are blameless, believe me, they are FAR from it. But let's put the blame where it belongs people. Speculators and Big Oil BOTH.

How about the high gas taxes? Anyone remember when Clinton refused to release any of our reserves as 'it wouldn't effect the prices much'. How about when they started to get high and Engler refused to suspend the gas tax in MI for relief when other states were?

It's not one side or the other. They ALL have their hands in it.
bosco

United States

#9 Sep 12, 2008
Come on everyone, the Bush's got rich off of oil. Where there's smoke there is fire.
mel in pinckney

Brighton, MI

#11 Sep 12, 2008
We have a local gas company, Mugg N' Bopps charging $4.69, 4.79, 4.89 for gas. ALREADY!! The hurricane hadn't even reached land yet when they gouged their prices. This is insane and unacceptable.
REDWGSFAN19

Holland, MI

#12 Sep 12, 2008
i lived in flordia for 17yrs 1985-2003 went thru 5 hurricanes and gas prices never soared then now why evry time one comes they go up every since katrina changed it all why there were bigger ones before that one
louise

Canton, MI

#13 Sep 13, 2008
I cannot beleive our govt! We do not even use the oil that our country has plenty of so there is no damn reason for another increase in the gas prices that we pay. My husband and I were both injured at our jobs, me in 1999 and my husband in 2004. We still have one child at home and one in college, besides our son, who has just moved down to south Florida. And....of course he still needs our help at times as does my stepdaughter and my three beautiful grandchildren that we help out when they need it. Low income families have it the worse. RIGHT NOW!!!I think that it is a crock that the government does not do anything to help the low to middle class families. It would be nice for once to know that they are thinking of the people that they represent instead of themselves. Is there anyone that really gives a crap about our suffering economy? How can families afford all the increases in our economy when our income does not do anything but everything else is increasing? Before long there will be so many people living in shelters, their vehicles, or even worse living outside with nothing over their head but the sky! That is so sad and there are enough families struggling I just wish that the rich gave a damn about the ones that live in their country. I think that it is great to help other coutries, but when your own is in turmoil I think that they should help the families that need it here in the USA before helping outside of the country. I do not know any other country that is like the USA and for once we need to put our people first that really need the help instead of making them feel like they are the scum on the bottom of the pond. It is such a tragedy that none of the government and/or politicians even give a crap about us little people, because we are poor and looked down upon. I know that the price increase on everything has affected everyone, but the rich still seem to get richer and the low to middle class get taxed even more. My daughter wants to go to college when she graduates in five years to become an OB/GYN and wants to go to Harvard or Hillsdale College, BUT, unless she receives alot of scholarships she will not be able to go unless the economy changes dramatically as being on Social Security Disability at a young age never gave us time to plan for our future. We are both in our early 40's and are broke the third week of every month. It has been really bad for the past three years I wish it would start getting better. I wish that the economy was as strong now as it was when Bill Clinton was President. I will always remember all that He and Hilary did for our country. I just wish that she would have made the Presidential Campaign instead of Obama, because Mccain is a definite NO in my family, but Obama is not a YES, either.
Iwish that would be a last minute write-in for an Independent.
Disturbed

Virginia Beach, VA

#14 Sep 13, 2008
Just another example where the state blows sunshine up our *** when they really have no control over prices...
regularguy

Caledonia, MI

#15 Sep 13, 2008
louise wrote:
I cannot beleive our govt! We do not even use the oil that our country has plenty of so there is no damn reason for another increase in the gas prices that we pay. My husband and I were both injured at our jobs, me in 1999 and my husband in 2004. We still have one child at home and one in college, besides our son, who has just moved down to south Florida. And....of course he still needs our help at times as does my stepdaughter and my three beautiful grandchildren that we help out when they need it. Low income families have it the worse. RIGHT NOW!!!I think that it is a crock that the government does not do anything to help the low to middle class families. It would be nice for once to know that they are thinking of the people that they represent instead of themselves. Is there anyone that really gives a crap about our suffering economy? How can families afford all the increases in our economy when our income does not do anything but everything else is increasing? Before long there will be so many people living in shelters, their vehicles, or even worse living outside with nothing over their head but the sky! That is so sad and there are enough families struggling I just wish that the rich gave a damn about the ones that live in their country. I think that it is great to help other coutries, but when your own is in turmoil I think that they should help the families that need it here in the USA before helping outside of the country. I do not know any other country that is like the USA and for once we need to put our people first that really need the help instead of making them feel like they are the scum on the bottom of the pond. It is such a tragedy that none of the government and/or politicians even give a crap about us little people, because we are poor and looked down upon. I know that the price increase on everything has affected everyone, but the rich still seem to get richer and the low to middle class get taxed even more. My daughter wants to go to college when she graduates in five years to become an OB/GYN and wants to go to Harvard or Hillsdale College, BUT, unless she receives alot of scholarships she will not be able to go unless the economy changes dramatically as being on Social Security Disability at a young age never gave us time to plan for our future. We are both in our early 40's and are broke the third week of every month. It has been really bad for the past three years I wish it would start getting better. I wish that the economy was as strong now as it was when Bill Clinton was President. I will always remember all that He and Hilary did for our country. I just wish that she would have made the Presidential Campaign instead of Obama, because Mccain is a definite NO in my family, but Obama is not a YES, either.
Iwish that would be a last minute write-in for an Independent.
I work at a store and see people every day from rich to poor and can tell you that many of the rich folks look upon the poor as pond scum who are not willing to help themselves. Some folks are not willing to help themselves and I guess they get what they deserve. I saw a regular customer the other day who works in a machine shop. He wears a leg brace so he moves a little slow. As he was walking towards our door a woman in a big, new, shiney SUV pulls up behind him and honks the horn for him to get out of her way. Just shameful behavior.
sbo

Encino, CA

#16 Sep 13, 2008
Jim B wrote:
Have you lost touch with reality? I think gas was $1.29 when bush took over and let his big oil buddies make the big bucks before we start phasing out the oil industry.
<quoted text>
Yo Jim- Gas was $1.50/gallon in January 2001.It was $2/gallon just prior to the mid-term elections two years ago when Republicans lost control of Congress. It reached well over $4/gallon this summer. Soooooo, it went up .50 the first 6 years Bush was in office and it has doubled to $4 in the last 2 years. I think we need to get the Democrats out of Congress and make sure we don't end up with one in the White House too.
Ann

Whitehall, MI

#17 Sep 13, 2008
The whole thing is hype. Gas prices only increased by 11 cents/gallon where I'm at. Everytime I have read a story on gas prices someone has always said "I heard". Not a soul has been able to confirm any major increase. The media would be all over a story if there were $5.00/gallon gas. That level of price gouging is just to obvious.
Time to start drilling

West Bloomfield, MI

#18 Sep 13, 2008
If one hurricane in Texas area has this impact on prices, why not start drilling in Alaska? Then we'll always have a steady supply despite the weather conditions.

“WINGS....ROCK The Ice YEAH!”

Since: Mar 08

Big Rapids, MI

#19 Sep 13, 2008
*You can blame the threat of Hurricane Ike as it pushes toward a number of refineries in the Gulf Coast.* As stated in the article written..

YEAH RIGHT...We believe that? Hello?
Jane Doe

Muskegon, MI

#20 Sep 13, 2008
I don't understand why the price of gas goes up at the threat of bad weather. Just because they shut down refineries for a few days is no reason to raise the price. Where are the stockpiles? Aren't they there for "emergencies"?

Oh to be able to be in control of it all for 5 minutes!!!! We've had hurricanes for years and I never heard of all this price raise crap before. They do it because they CAN.

What can the American folks do about it anyway? With work and families and all there is to do..who has time? Who can afford the gas to drive to Washington to carry a picket sign? We just let them keep on keeping on because our hands are tied. I don't trust ANY polititon anymore no matter what they say. They get sucked into the system in Washington and things just get worse. None of them care about "change" for the better, it always has to fit the big wigs and never does anything for us.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#21 Sep 13, 2008
Time to start drilling wrote:
If one hurricane in Texas area has this impact on prices, why not start drilling in Alaska? Then we'll always have a steady supply despite the weather conditions.
Would that really make a difference? I doubt it. Then the excuses would just be "It's too cold to pump oil" or "Oil doesn't flow down a pipeline as fast in cold weather". It would be something. I personally think that all this fiddling with gas prices is just an economic gain to both speculators and big oil. They are going to push the price of a gallon just as far as they think they can without breaking the market for gas. There is no rhyme or reason for why gas goes up or down (what little it does). It certainly can't be linked to the cost of a barrel of crude.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sunfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) 16 hr Amy 96
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) 20 hr Go Blue Forever 128
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Sep 2 just the tip 303
2015 Popularity of Ford Crossover-utility Vehic... Aug 26 mamamoe 1
SpartanNash closing Family Fare store in Cedar ... Aug '14 Linda DeKlein 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul '14 maeball 169
•••
•••
•••

Sunfield Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Sunfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Sunfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Sunfield
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••