Sheriff aims to arm more posse

Sheriff aims to arm more posse

There are 21 comments on the www.yourwestvalley.com story from May 7, 2009, titled Sheriff aims to arm more posse. In it, www.yourwestvalley.com reports that:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio wants to arm more volunteers to counter budget cuts and boost public safety.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.yourwestvalley.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Slim

Alamo, TN

#1 May 10, 2009
ALL
From the banks of the Big Muddy, Tipton county.
We are a small population county, served by an excellent sheriff. KUDOS to Arizona for having a courageous counterpart.
Adding Local Citizenry to the force is a time honored but temporary fix. Training, control, and lots of hands on management seems to be the key.
Semper Fi
end
yadayadayada

Scottsdale, AZ

#2 May 11, 2009
God, more Sun City idiots running around with guns...these guys can't even remember to change their Depends or put in their teeth, and now sheriff NumbNuts wants more of them to have guns?....are they all gonna carry (1) bullet in their pocket and wait for Andy to tell them when to load-up? This state is retarded beyond all reason.......

“No Evil Shall Escape My Sight”

Since: Apr 08

Phoenix, AZ

#3 May 12, 2009
Qualified Armed Posse members receive the same firearms training as any sworn Police Officer, and are required to undergo annual recertification, so your fears are unfounded.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#4 May 13, 2009
I can think of nothing that this quiet community needs less than a bunch of old farts with guns running around out streets for Sheriff Joe, who can't even answer the 911 calls on time because he is always out chasing Mexicans.

There is no crime wave. There is no need for armed fools shooting up the place. There is no need for more policing. If old guys want to shoot guns let them go to the shooting range and stay out of my neighborhood.

The very idea is foolish and needs to be stopped before we have gun toting fools everwhere.
AZSux

Scottsdale, AZ

#5 May 13, 2009
laojim wrote:
I can think of nothing that this quiet community needs less than a bunch of old farts with guns running around out streets for Sheriff Joe, who can't even answer the 911 calls on time because he is always out chasing Mexicans.
There is no crime wave. There is no need for armed fools shooting up the place. There is no need for more policing. If old guys want to shoot guns let them go to the shooting range and stay out of my neighborhood.
The very idea is foolish and needs to be stopped before we have gun toting fools everwhere.
YO, RESPECT........the full-time sworn cops out here are bad enough, do we really need to make a bad situation worse by putting armed diapered- deputies on the road?....what will they use for squad cars, golf-carts with the sheriff'd dept. logo on the side? Arizona..........

The
Horror

At least maybe they'll have cup holders on the dash of their golf carts so they can soak their dentures while on patrol.....in the words of Sam Kinison.......Oh oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
AZSux

Scottsdale, AZ

#6 May 13, 2009
Tarantulas wrote:
Qualified Armed Posse members receive the same firearms training as any sworn Police Officer, and are required to undergo annual recertification, so your fears are unfounded.
And this one time, at diapered-deputy camp.......
AZSux

Scottsdale, AZ

#7 May 13, 2009
Slim wrote:
ALL
From the banks of the Big Muddy, Tipton county.
We are a small population county, served by an excellent sheriff. KUDOS to Arizona for having a courageous counterpart.
Adding Local Citizenry to the force is a time honored but temporary fix. Training, control, and lots of hands on management seems to be the key.
Semper Fi
end
Arming non-sworn, poorly trained civilians is a disaster waiting to happen....especially in a large metro area like Maricopa county, only a few hundered miles from both Las Vegas and LA....in Jethro-land, maybe that's not a concern, especially were everyone is related......so kudos to the wrongful arrest and death lawsuits that will arise from this stupidity......this idiot Arpio already has enough problems with lawsuits and low morale among his own sworn/trained personnel to even think about adding this foolishness to the mix.....but this is Arizona, home of retardedness, where in fact the state accels in retardation like no other state in the US.......

Phoenix, AZ

#8 May 14, 2009
laojim wrote:
Hoplophobia, how sad...

Location hidden

#9 May 15, 2009
Tarantulas wrote:
<quoted text>
Hoplophobia, how sad...
It is not an irrational fear but a reasonable precaution that we don't want more and more armed people patrolling the streets and properties of the nation. Training is not the issue. The issue is that we don't want the guns to be brandished at every turn and it is simply illogical to suppose that paid cops, guards, rent-a-cops, vigilantes, and others will all carry guns but not use them. If they don't plan to use them they should leave them at home.

Phoenix, AZ

#10 May 21, 2009
Armed, law-abiding citizens are no threat to you or anyone. Armed, trained Sheriff's Office volunteers will come running TOWARD the danger when the shooting starts, and will be likely to put themselves between you and the bad guys to protect you.

If "it is simply illogical to suppose that paid cops, guards, rent-a-cops, vigilantes, and others will all carry guns but not use them" then you must have multiple examples of such dangerous brandishing and illegal usage right at hand and ready to quote. Enlighten us please, and show us how your fears have already come true. If you can't, then your fears are indeed irrational.

Location hidden

#11 May 29, 2009
You mean my nephew? The fools in Illinois let him carry a gun ever after the police raid. I think they took his security guard permit away, I forget. It's a long story.

Armed citizens, rent-a-cops, guards, police, sheriffim, part time soldiers, people in Green Lantern suits, and who knows who carrying guns around are no guarantee of safety. If we have a society in which everyone is armed I would guess that something is amiss.

On the other hand, I would believe all this gun toting talk if they advocated giving guns to those truly at risk. One of the most dangerous things is to be homeless so perhaps we should arm all the homeless, the drunkards, the insane, the convicted, the veterans, and all. Give them guns to protect themselves.
jrp

India

#12 May 30, 2009
Its a shame that America is coming to an
awful end.Rogue Sheriffs,rogue anything
Law Enforcement,and best of all,new and
old laws,to make new criminals.Joe is in
the Criminal Division,and it would be go
od to see him do time,and to be innocent
on some trumped up charge,to keep in jail for a few years.
Of course,he'll keep all his benefits
and wages. The old saying,Only crooks
have guns,and in Joes country,everybody
is a cop. Arizona is its own island in
west. Maybe they will get a speeding
ticket by the Radar.

Phoenix, AZ

#14 Jun 2, 2009
Hoplophobia is a ""mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons." Seek medical treatment, please.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 5, 2009
No. That won't work. You can't get away with justifying your attraction to fire arms by labeling other people with medical terms. I know something of the use of guns and the care and handling thereof. In other words, you don't know whereof you speak so you resort to pseudo-medical name calling. You'll have to do better than that.

The point is that it is simply illogical to suppose that large numbers of people can retain large numbers of guns without them being used. There is an old saying to the effect that if you have a hammer you find things that need pounding. By the same token, if you have guns you are likely to find things that need shooting.
Lou Rodriquez

Long Beach, CA

#16 Jun 6, 2009
Many people demonize Joe. The transformation of Parents into nothing but sperm or egg donors has made character and integrity so the day before yesterday. Those who are "less than" lash out at Joe for reminding them of their own personal cowardice and their own lack of worth as citizens.
You see them shouting Viva La Raza as they devalue neighborhoods and diminish any sense of Community among the citizens.

I'm proud to be an American Man. I'm proud of Joe.

Location hidden

#17 Jun 9, 2009
You proud that he is under investigation and could end up in his own jail? Where I come from that is considered unmanly.

Phoenix, AZ

#18 Jun 10, 2009
"The point is that it is simply illogical to suppose that large numbers of people can retain large numbers of guns without them being used. There is an old saying to the effect that if you have a hammer you find things that need pounding. By the same token, if you have guns you are likely to find things that need shooting."

Law abiding gun owners shoot at targets and small game and other object that are legal to shoot. They don't go out and randomly fire off rounds in all directions just for fun. And the quote, if you care to get it right, was "If all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail."

Hoplophobia - it's real and you have it. Look it up.

Location hidden

#20 Jun 12, 2009
(Checks ID) Nope. Not a native Arizonan.
(Checks head) Nope brain not missing.
(Checks dictionary) Hmm. Qestionable neurosis defined as, hmmm....blah blah blah...nope, no such thing, really.

As I suggested, some gun owners have been known to have permits and licenses and so on and still do things like shoot doctors in churches and folks in museums, and I don't know what all. I know several people who keep unregistered and untraceable fire arms for personal protection and I know some people, women mostly, who have been advised by local sheriffs, mostly in Dixie, who have explained to them how they can go about shooting prowlers without endangering themselves in the eyes of the local law. I've fires a rifle, shot gun, and pistol or two so they don't frighten me.

The problem is, of course, the vast numbers of gun nuts who seem to see the whole of politics through the screen of a dead actor holding his rifle up and shouting about his cold dead hands. I think such people need to be kept an eye on for the common good.

It isn't fear it's reason.
jrp

Guangzhou, China

#21 Jun 27, 2009
if the new men are trained as regular police officers,then they must have to be paid as police officers.They are trained vigilantes,with a permission slip to act like police.If they are not real police,how can it be legal to arrest anyone,with out a bonafide policeman with them.Until then,its still a Citizens Arrest,and they are no
better than a Rent A Cop. Joe,says so,so its okay to break the laws.Why dont we take the same training,and become police officers,and not have to go to school,to know anything about law.Its thought that even a policeman when they retire,are not still a policeman,after they leave the force.So if you take the training,you must be a policeman.
oh la la

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Jun 28, 2009
yeehaw!!

Im moving there in 4 weeks and will volunteer.
heck yeah, a woman with a gun and having major pms is one woman the local punks wont mess with....ha ha ha ha ha.

you rock JOE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sun City West Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay or Bi FaceTime (Jul '12) Feb 20 Gaymiguel23 26
post feature points referral codes here (May '15) Feb 13 Beekylah354 28
bi gay or dl for skype ? (Nov '15) Feb 6 Gapkid2009 3
missing dog named duke Feb 2 mamma 3
Simon Kotoor Sunshine Group Homes Jan 30 Juan 3
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Glendale Jan '18 cassandraq 14
Fire Department (Feb '09) Jan '18 cool kids 133

Sun City West Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance