Collision kills man

Mar 8, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Item

Joe Perry / The Item First responders work the scene of a wreck Saturday at the intersection of Broad Street and Mason Road where a 20-year-old motorcyclist was killed after colliding with a Lincoln Town Car.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
United Biker for Safety

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2009

Worried the man might have sustained a head or neck injury, he didn't try to remove his helmet. Moments later, a man identifying himself as a paramedic arrived on scene."I said,'He's turning blue'," Koonce recalled about 20 minutes after the wreck. "He was gasping for air, but there was nothing we could do."

Sound like total B.S. to me...

Looks like Sumter Fire dept. needs to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

My heart goes out to Airman Justin Blacklidge & his family.
Danny

Eros, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2009

I work with Justin's mom and was with her when she got the news yesterday. He was a great kid and will be missed.
so sad

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2009

My husband worked with and was friends with Blacklidge. I will be passing that youtube link above around to as many as his friends that ride including husband.

What a tragic loss. My heart goes out to everyone affected.

Chrissy

Easton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

I was Justin's supervisor when he worked at the Spangdahlem BX in Germany before joining the Air Force. He was a wonderful person and had a great spirit for life. He will be truly missed and my thoughts go out to his family and closest friends. May he rest in peace. I will miss you Justin.
Diana Wollscahleger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Danny wrote:
I work with Justin's mom and was with her when she got the news yesterday. He was a great kid and will be missed.
Danny I'm Diana Justin's Aunt It was me and my daughter that picked Angie up From the hospital. I want to personally thank each and every staff member in the Willis Knighton ER (where she works) for taking care of her, and again for all those that came by the house to help comfort her.

It's been a rough few days and there will be more to come. Keith (Justin's dad) is now home (he was stationed in afghanistan) There will be a memorial service for him in Sumter on Thursday and then his final service in Many, Louisiana on Saturday.

Justin was a remarkable young man, he was an amazing son, airman, brother, fiance, nephew and best friend to his cousin Colton. We will miss him so very much.

As far as the previous post about the first responder not able to render aid because they couldn't remove his helmet, I'm in shock total shock. I have to believe there is more to the story that is left untold, but to the reporter do you not realize that his family read this story? Do you know what it did to his mother to read those words about him gasping for breath? Was that really necessary?

It just happens that a close friend WAS on the scene and he claims that the story was BS, he also claims HE removed Justin's helmet and there there was peace in his eyes. Why couldn't you have just written that?

“Mad and Confused”

Since: Nov 07

Sumter, South Carolina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2009

My friend was the paramedic who arrived on scene just after the accident. He's a former paramedic but still knows his medical training. He said that they could not remove his helmet because of the damage that was done to it and trying to do so would have inflicted even more to this man's suffering. He had no equipment with him that he could use to render aid.

Besides, a rule of thumb with any accident victim suffering a head injury or trauma involving hitting the road is you do not move them unless you take the risk of them suffering from paralysis due to a unseen neck injury or unseen back injury. That is why you let the people trained in such accidents to move the individual.

The Items' story was so error filled that the reporter on scene did not garner facts from some of the people involved, only getting some heresey statements.
SafireInSumter

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2009

Unfortunately, I saw the young man being worked on in the ambulance when I pulled over to let the ambulance by. I travel that intersection daily. It's tragic to lose such a young life.
love

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

if you only knew
Smile

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Even after 3 years and some change it's still hurts. I like to live by your words bud
"live free, die well"
.....never forgotten

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sumter Discussions

Search the Sumter Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pastor Larry Durant Charged with Sex Crimes wit... (Jun '13) Apr 15 ronnie 18
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Apr 11 yeah 1,104
Sumter Apr 9 Truth 2
ralph avins (Oct '11) Mar '14 Dmw 2
Is Sumter a good place to raise kids? (Oct '08) Mar '14 buckzoo 112
Review: Panda Express Mar '14 Jones M 1
Overturned Jeep On Pinewood Rd Mar '14 Concerned 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Sumter Jobs

•••
•••