N.J. breast cancer rate 7th highest in nation

Sep 27, 2010 Read more: Daily Record

Inside a milk duct of a breast, the DNA of a cell is damaged. The damage is not repaired.

Read more
Gail Perry

Sun City, FL

#1 Sep 27, 2010
The headline of this article might lead one to believe that there is some environmental factor at play in the breast cancer rate in New Jersey, as New Jersey is only the eleventh most populous state in the country.

However, 5.5% of the population of New Jersey is of Jewish heritage. Unfortunately, Ashkenazi Jews are more likely than others to carry the BRCA genes, which greatly increase the risk that an individual will develop breast cancer.

I urge people to not jump to the conclusion that environmental factors have caused these statistics. It will take careful research to sort such an issue out. One way would be to eliminate people of Ashkenazi descent from any population studies to see what the rate of breast cancer is among people less likely to carry the BRCA genes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GREAT SWAMP: A bog so big it boggles the mind (Sep '08) Tue Happy 4
18 years male, girls I want your skypes (you wo... Mar 28 Goikoetxea 1
News Weichert, Realtors Announces Robyn Barone Manag... Mar 16 Barbara Lewis 1
News Merck grants free license for pediatric HIV drug Feb '15 VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Drug, warrant arrests follow traffic stops in R... Feb '15 Not rob 1
Curious about a 30 year old murder (Apr '06) Jan '15 Troy Wilson 288
Looking to rent a room for 2015 summer intern Jan '15 rakel 1
More from around the web

Summit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]