Hispanic gangs in Summit- How it began.

Posted in the Summit Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Former Summit Resident

Mount Prospect, IL

#1 Dec 9, 2007
My family moved to Summit from Chicago's Little Village neighborhood in 1979. By 1999 Summit, resembled the gang infested neighborhoods of Little Village (aka 26th street). In 1979-1980, a few male Hispanic upperclassmen attending Argo high School decided to give themselves a group name called "The Spanish Brothers." Their younger siblings and relatives who were attending St. Blase and Graves School decided to give themselves a group name as well called the "Night Cruise." The Spanish brothers eventually changed their name to the Latin Kings, and the Night Cruise followed by calling themselves the Pee Wee Kings. The original Spanish Brothers eventaully graduated or dropped out of hgh school, hence leaving their Latin Kings experience behind. The younger pee wee version continued on along with the few remaining high school latin kings that had not yet graduated or dropped out. That was the beginning of the gang infested problem in Summit. I moved out in 1999.

Bedford Park is kind of a funny town. People there behave affluent. They see Summit as a lower class community. I would never want to move back to Summit because of the gangs, and I would never consider moving to Bedford Park because of the smell coming from Corn Products. Besides, where I live is perfect for my family...Palos Hills.

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#2 Feb 5, 2008
Why is it that when a neighborhood becomes hispanic this happens everytime......Instead of these groups like La Raza standing up for illegals, they should be addressing issues with the high crime hispanic neighborhoods and why they are this way....
Former Summit Resident

Chicago, IL

#3 Feb 9, 2008
Dan-Chicago wrote:
Why is it that when a neighborhood becomes hispanic this happens everytime......Instead of these groups like La Raza standing up for illegals, they should be addressing issues with the high crime hispanic neighborhoods and why they are this way....
They don't need to be addressing the issues you stated because they have people like you addressing the issues regularly. That's what happens when you live in a neighborhood that surrounded by other neighborhhoods with gang problems. Instead of spending quality time with your family during non-working hours, you're attending CAPS meetings, complaining to alderman's and cook county commissioners about the gang problems that are trickling into your good ol' Garfield Ridge neighborhood.

I'm blessed to be in a neighborhhod that doesn't have your neighborhood's problems.

Chicago

#4 Feb 10, 2008
Former Summit Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't need to be addressing the issues you stated because they have people like you addressing the issues regularly. That's what happens when you live in a neighborhood that surrounded by other neighborhhoods with gang problems. Instead of spending quality time with your family during non-working hours, you're attending CAPS meetings, complaining to alderman's and cook county commissioners about the gang problems that are trickling into your good ol' Garfield Ridge neighborhood.
I'm blessed to be in a neighborhhod that doesn't have your neighborhood's problems.
Wrong, I am not addressing the issues in these neighborhoods, I do live there. I'm just stating my views of these people in these areas and wondering why they are the way they are. You have no idea about my family's quality time buddy, so I'd just leave it at that. And if you call calling your alderman and reporting crime as it occurs, "complaining" then I am glad you moved away to where ever you live. And why did you move? And can I ask where this beautiful area you live in is? Us concerned citizens in G.R must be doing something right, and the surrounding neighborhoods something wrong. You can spend as much quality time as you want with your family, but at some point they will go out to play with their friend's in the area, and if we use your theory, basically do nothing, then you just sent them into a gang infested warzone. And when they are hurt you can blame yourself and people like you.

Chicago

#5 Feb 10, 2008
I meant to say above that I do not live there and am not addressing their problems. I will not allow their problems to become ours....And I will work to keep the crap out. Not run away or hide out like some people.........

Chicago

#6 Feb 10, 2008
Oh and by the way, the next CAPS meeting is Tuesday, and I have off work on these days....Just so you think my quality family time is not being sacrificed.
Former Summit Resident

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 10, 2008
Dan-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, I am not addressing the issues in these neighborhoods, I do live there. I'm just stating my views of these people in these areas and wondering why they are the way they are. You have no idea about my family's quality time buddy, so I'd just leave it at that. And if you call calling your alderman and reporting crime as it occurs, "complaining" then I am glad you moved away to where ever you live. And why did you move? And can I ask where this beautiful area you live in is? Us concerned citizens in G.R must be doing something right, and the surrounding neighborhoods something wrong. You can spend as much quality time as you want with your family, but at some point they will go out to play with their friend's in the area, and if we use your theory, basically do nothing, then you just sent them into a gang infested warzone. And when they are hurt you can blame yourself and people like you.
I said people like you are addressing the issues in those neighborhhoods, in the same manner you're addressing the issues in your neighborhood. That's why they probably don't reach out to groups like La Raza. You stated in other posts that when you press the CPD/CAPS they usually listen. Pressing in the context you describe sounds more like complaining vs reporting. I know it's a matter of semantics.

Now, the reason I moved out of Summit was not to run and hide from the probelms there. I lived there for 20 years and cherish my upbringing there. I simply moved out because I wanted to live in a house that wasn't lined up close together by another house. Summit, Garfield Ridge, and many other neighborhoods that have houses lined up against each other was not my cup of tea anymore. Call it what you want. I could never say I'm going to live in a certain neighborhood or suburb for the rest of my life. I currently live in Palos Hills. It's exactly what I want for now. Maybe in a few years I'll get the itch to move again, especially if I'm able improve the quality of life for my family once again. Gang infested war zones does not apply where I live. I didn't move out of Summit because of the gangs, I moved out because of the land space between homes.

Chicago

#8 Feb 11, 2008
<quoted text>
I said people like you are addressing the issues in those neighborhhoods, in the same manner you're addressing the issues in your neighborhood. That's why they probably don't reach out to groups like La Raza. You stated in other posts that when you press the CPD/CAPS they usually listen. Pressing in the context you describe sounds more like complaining vs reporting. I know it's a matter of semantics.
Now, the reason I moved out of Summit was not to run and hide from the probelms there. I lived there for 20 years and cherish my upbringing there. I simply moved out because I wanted to live in a house that wasn't lined up close together by another house. Summit, Garfield Ridge, and many other neighborhoods that have houses lined up against each other was not my cup of tea anymore. Call it what you want. I could never say I'm going to live in a certain neighborhood or suburb for the rest of my life. I currently live in Palos Hills. It's exactly what I want for now. Maybe in a few years I'll get the itch to move again, especially if I'm able improve the quality of life for my family once again. Gang infested war zones does not apply where I live. I didn't move out of Summit because of the gangs, I moved out because of the land space between homes.
I stand corrected, you did say that. But these individuals are not like me at all otherwise their neighborhoods would not be the way they are. I think you have to call and "complain" on a neighborhood level, the more people doing it the more they pay attention. By doing nothing or turning a blind eye to illegal activities is just what the criminals want, it shows fear of them, and they will take advantage of that. Palos is a very nice place to live, many of my freinds growing up were from there, Orland, Tinley and those areas. Have you ever lived in a predominently hispanic area I guess then, and now I can see how easy it is for you to defend them. I have lived in Mckinley Park & Brighton Park and still own property there. But I moved when my son was born because after living with these people for so long and looking at their gang infested schools I wanted better for my child. And now that I have a nice area to live in and my son attends school in the area, I want to make sure that how these areas are will not come into my area. So I guess my driving reason is not that I hate hispanics a all, but I hate the thought of my son having to grow up dodging bullets or being harrassed by gangs and too busy worrying about this than getting an education. Oh and there were no gangs in Summit 20 years ago...That's why I know this issue does not effect you at all and wonder how you can comment on it when you're just looking from afar....
Former Summit Resident

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 11, 2008
I lived on 26th/Millard before moving to Summit in 1979. There were/are gangs there and there were gangs in Summit more than 20 years ago. I knew many of them because we attended the same schools. I never had to worry about the gangs because they weren't the group of kids I hung around with in the neighborhood. When I lived in Summit, they generally didn't harrass non-gang bangers. I have to admit, it was at times entertaining to see gangs fight each other. Back then, guns and knives weren't typically used, especially in school. I comment on this, even though I now view it from afar, because I lived in Summit for 20 years. Remember, I didn't move out 20 years ago. I applaud your efforts in making a difference. And I commend you for not "turning a blind eye" as you elegantly stated. Garfield Ridge is the neighborhood where you reside, and you have the right to fight for a gang free environment. Hispanic gang infested areas can, not will, affect the upbringing of a family. It didn't affect my family, friends and relatives who grew up in similar neighborhoods that were predominantly Hispanic. You chose to get away from that environment, even though it appears to be a never ending battle in keeping them entirely out of your neighborhhood. keep up the good work!

Chicago

#10 Feb 11, 2008
I lived on 26th/Millard before moving to Summit in 1979. There were/are gangs there and there were gangs in Summit more than 20 years ago. I knew many of them because we attended the same schools. I never had to worry about the gangs because they weren't the group of kids I hung around with in the neighborhood. When I lived in Summit, they generally didn't harrass non-gang bangers. I have to admit, it was at times entertaining to see gangs fight each other. Back then, guns and knives weren't typically used, especially in school. I comment on this, even though I now view it from afar, because I lived in Summit for 20 years. Remember, I didn't move out 20 years ago. I applaud your efforts in making a difference. And I commend you for not "turning a blind eye" as you elegantly stated. Garfield Ridge is the neighborhood where you reside, and you have the right to fight for a gang free environment. Hispanic gang infested areas can, not will, affect the upbringing of a family. It didn't affect my family, friends and relatives who grew up in similar neighborhoods that were predominantly Hispanic. You chose to get away from that environment, even though it appears to be a never ending battle in keeping them entirely out of your neighborhhood. keep up the good work!
Ahhh, I was wondering how there were gangs there 20 years ago becuase like I said, I went to school there and there were no gangs at my school at all. People and folks didn't even originate until the late 80's. And like I said, I'm some kind kind of racist who hates all people of color, I guess I'm just sick of the way things are and just stating what I see and not accepting the excuses being given by residents of crappy areas....People can call me what they want, but in reality if it takes being called a racist for caring about where you live and keeping it safe, then I'm fine with that. Because people that know me, know the real me.
Former Summit Resident

Chicago, IL

#11 Feb 11, 2008
For the record, I never called you a racist. People didn't originate to Summit until the late 80's? I already told you I moved there in 1979. I get the feeling I'm older than you, which is kind of sad because I thought I was having a discussion with a 50 plus year old man. Danny boy, listen up. You went to a good grade school...Zion Lutheran. When have you ever heard of Lutherans being involved with gangs? Never! You attended school that has a gang free environment. My point is, of course you went to a school that didn't have a gang problem. That's awesome! I applaud your parents for keeping you away from gangsters.

Dan, you also don't have to accept any excuses. You're causing to much stress on your life worrying why people aren't taking the blame for living in bad areas. Be at peace, and enjoy your neighborhood. Again, you can be my guest of honor at the mexican Normandy block party this July.

Chicago

#12 Feb 12, 2008
I am 34. And you don't know what I was referring to when I mentioned people and folks? In the late 80's these two groups emerged all over Chicago and then spread to the suburbs. "People" are gangs like latin kings, latin counts, vice vords, and about 50 others. "Folks" are gangs like D's, GD's, two six and such. So when I said gangs were not around there in 1979 at all, that's what I meant. You may have neighborhood wanna be's but these were not the gang members of today. When I went to school there, I not only went to school, but I did other activities in Summit. The area was not predominently hispanic, it was more like white trailer. I don't really have alot of stress, I really do feel for these areas and their future. But of course my main concern is my area. And why do you keep mentioning this mexican block party? There was not one last year at all, did I mention that I have family on that block? Did we miss 500 mexicans having a party? There was a block party, but how can you say it was a mexican block party? That sounds kinda racy.... Should I have a white block party?
Former Summit Resident

Chicago, IL

#13 Feb 12, 2008
Dan-Chicago wrote:
I am 34. And you don't know what I was referring to when I mentioned people and folks? In the late 80's these two groups emerged all over Chicago and then spread to the suburbs. "People" are gangs like latin kings, latin counts, vice vords, and about 50 others. "Folks" are gangs like D's, GD's, two six and such. So when I said gangs were not around there in 1979 at all, that's what I meant. You may have neighborhood wanna be's but these were not the gang members of today. When I went to school there, I not only went to school, but I did other activities in Summit. The area was not predominently hispanic, it was more like white trailer. I don't really have alot of stress, I really do feel for these areas and their future. But of course my main concern is my area. And why do you keep mentioning this mexican block party? There was not one last year at all, did I mention that I have family on that block? Did we miss 500 mexicans having a party? There was a block party, but how can you say it was a mexican block party? That sounds kinda racy.... Should I have a white block party?
I got you..."folks," "people." You refreshed my memory. I'm 2 years older than you (36). I know where you're coming from. If ever you have a "white" block party, I'll say I'm your guest.

Chicago

#14 Feb 12, 2008
<quoted text>
I got you..."folks," "people." You refreshed my memory. I'm 2 years older than you (36). I know where you're coming from. If ever you have a "white" block party, I'll say I'm your guest.
And you would be more than welcome here, it would never be a white block party though, like I said, I am not a skinhead, just a concerned dad.
janet

Chicago, IL

#15 Apr 17, 2008
i think that instead of pushing all gangbangers away we should keep them involved in activitied like for example you people like blaming every little thing to gangbangers but at the same time yous dont give them props.society is to harsh on gangbangers and i think they should cut them some slack

Chicago

#16 Apr 17, 2008
janet wrote:
i think that instead of pushing all gangbangers away we should keep them involved in activitied like for example you people like blaming every little thing to gangbangers but at the same time yous dont give them props.society is to harsh on gangbangers and i think they should cut them some slack
We? Maybe their parents should keep them involved, they aren't my kids! Gangbangers are weak kids who can't fight on their own. Props? I think you have been watching too many rap videos kid. You live in Chicago? Well stay whereever you are at in the city, but do not come near Garfield Ridge cause someone like you will not fit in...
Hiz Mane Squeez

Justice, IL

#18 Jan 20, 2009
i live in summit and its the best town ever.!! dont get all mad cuz its hispanic. imm white and i consider it the best. people are real here and not stuck up like palos hills. and the gangs are everywhere, im 14 and i thought an adult lke u wud know better then that. gangs are a part of our society because parents dont take care of children, just cuz yu live in palos doesnt mean anything, it just justifies you think your better then others, and yur not.!! i love summit.!! and folkks gunna be runnin summit.!! mark me on dat.!!! lkk.!! all dae.!! amor de diablo.!!
Hiz Mane Squeez

Justice, IL

#19 Jan 20, 2009
FOLKS RUN IT.!!!!! I LOVE FOLKKZ.!! KING KILLA.!! HAHA.!! WE RUN IT.!! SD NATION.!! 2SIX LOVE.!! HAHA. KING KILLA ALL DAE ERRRY DAE.!!!
Mariano

Hinsdale, IL

#20 Jan 20, 2009
Hiz Mane Squeez wrote:
FOLKS RUN IT.!!!!! I LOVE FOLKKZ.!! KING KILLA.!! HAHA.!! WE RUN IT.!! SD NATION.!! 2SIX LOVE.!! HAHA. KING KILLA ALL DAE ERRRY DAE.!!!
Gay, lil boi, wannabe fagit who dont kno nothn bout summit. 14 and a 26, NOT. u get ur shit pushed in by sum brothas fo sho. read yo comics and look fo yo daddy who took off on yo bastrd self. u need 2 gro som hair on thoz balls b4 u claim 26. that wanna be kno it all who moved out cuz he couldnt make a diffrnc here wants to rant about how much he kno bout summit cant run hiz own family. u move outta hera, worry bout happy valley quiter. kick hiz azz irish boi, put that puto in his spot. no gang in summit runs anyone. thay ALL pussi fagits who snitch on each other to mak a $$$. the 5.0 run the sho fo sho

Chicago

#21 Jan 21, 2009
Hiz Mane Squeez wrote:
i live in summit and its the best town ever.!! dont get all mad cuz its hispanic. imm white and i consider it the best. people are real here and not stuck up like palos hills. and the gangs are everywhere, im 14 and i thought an adult lke u wud know better then that. gangs are a part of our society because parents dont take care of children, just cuz yu live in palos doesnt mean anything, it just justifies you think your better then others, and yur not.!! i love summit.!! and folkks gunna be runnin summit.!! mark me on dat.!!! lkk.!! all dae.!! amor de diablo.!!
Gangs are part of certain areas in Chicago and across this country, they are not part of society kid. According to you our society is all made up of parentswho neglect their children? Maybe this is the norm where you are at, not in other places though. I don't live in Summit, I live across the street from you, right in Chicago across Harlem. No gangs in Garfield Ridge....I also don't think I'm better than anyone, just trying to raise my kid in an area that is crime free and I'll do what I have to to keep it that way. And beleive me kid, I talk from experience that there are only two places to go being in a gang, dead or doing time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Todd H. Stroger as Commissioner? (Mar '12) 34 min Change is needed 6
code enforcer 3 hr wondering 2
How many are Running for School Board!!!! 3 hr how about 18
Welcome to Blight Island!!! 5 hr Real Facts 64
BIIP and BITP 6 hr Work on Change 134
What is Ald Vieyra doing to reopen the Chatham... (Sep '10) 6 hr insolent 635
Local Politics Do you approve of Elizabeth Ann Doody Gorman as... (Feb '12) 13 hr Fane 3
Summit Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Summit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]