Using local criminals as informants

Posted in the Summerville Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
MyChoice

United States

#1 Jul 13, 2010
What do ya'll think? I think with the corruption in our county that something needs to change. I do not think using local criminals as informants is working. The local informants seem to be out breaking more laws than the people they're trying to get information on. It is my opinion the information should be gathered by undercover law enforcement from outside the county. Trading info for lighter sentences is a joke IMO. If you're law enforcement, so be it but criminals playing cops are IMO dangerous, they play both sides of the fence and continue with their criminal activities in some cases.
Overseer

Chatsworth, GA

#2 Jul 13, 2010
Do you think it's only Chattooga County where most informants are criminals? It's no different here than anywhere else. The reason criminals are informants is because they are the ones who routinely are accepted around other criminals. Do you think a nun would be much help in sniffing out a meth lab?

It's not a perfect system, but it's as good as it can be.
jojo 12

Chatsworth, GA

#3 Jul 13, 2010
There was this well know thief who was in
the Huddle House trying to sell this
silver tea pot. So about two days
later some lady comes in there and tells the
thief you stole my silver tea pot and takes
his bicycle and throws it in the stream behind
the Huddle House.
In my opinion he practiced his trade for years,
based on being able to tell on people (when he was
was robbing their house) if something illegal
was in the house.
MyChoice

United States

#4 Jul 13, 2010
I believe it's all over the country, but I still feel the law enforcement officers can go undercover and get information. I feel that would be best because the integrity and trustworthyness of criminal informants is tainted and unreliable. Frank Serpico was an undercover police officer, very successful at his task, too successful for the NYPD's taste. The police tried to have him killed for uncovering corruption. You can google his name and check it out. I think he makes a good case on corruption and I do not believe in using criminal informants for info.
Overseer

Chatsworth, GA

#5 Jul 13, 2010
I agree, having a law enforcement officer going undercover would be the best situation, however, there probably isn't enough tax money in any small or rural county to support a real undercover operation done properly. From what I've read usually the federal government and large cities (like LA or NY) are the only ones who can support such an operation, and theres not enough federal agents around to run operations in every rural county where it's needed.

That's why the practice of using criminal informants is far from perfect, but it's the best most law enforcement has...
jojo 12

Dalton, GA

#6 Jul 14, 2010
MyChoice your right about what you are saying.
It has the danger of undermining police legitimacy.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/11...

The citizens needs to take charge and increase transparency and accountability on how informants
are handled.

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/01/...
MyChoice

United States

#7 Jul 14, 2010
It is my opinion that citizens who live within the boundries of the law are, at least I am, frustrated by criminal informants who get away with anything in exchange for information. If these people were trustworthy,they wouldn't be in trouble to begin with so why in the world would their gathered info or testimony be considered legit? For example, a criminal informant who gathers info on drug dealing for instance but gets busted themselves for robbery in a completly unrelated incidence gets completly let off the hook? How is that justice for the robbery victim? I just firmly believe law enforcement should do their own work. However; in our county,IMO, the Feds should place an undercover in the Sheriff's dept. as well as other branches of local govt. to stop local corruption. We here in Chattooga are a county run by,IMO, very corrupt law enforcement so criminal informants just add fuel to the fire.
CircleJerk

Maryville, TN

#8 Jul 15, 2010
Here in this county, it is called a "circle-jerk". That is why Sam Finister is so important to Chattooga County. Before, a person would get busted, get LK to get them out, they would in turn "rat" on someone, then go to court, get 10 years probation, just to go out and do it all over again. As long as someone is getting paid, it will always be this way. Sam believes in "punishent due" no matter who you are. It seems that here in CC that the "rats" are getting away with a lot more than the people the RAT on.
jojo 12

Trion, GA

#9 Jul 15, 2010
I found these probation numbers for Georgia
from the Bureau of Justice Statistics
Probation numbers in Georgia in 2006
Georgia ,,"54,793",
Probation numbers in Georgia in 2007
Georgia ,,"281,252"

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm...
MyChoice

United States

#10 Jul 16, 2010
WOW!
jojo 12

Dalton, GA

#11 Jul 16, 2010
No wonder some people are starting to say lets take a look at this. What does the 2008 or 2009 figures look like?
wewe

Chatsworth, GA

#12 Jul 16, 2010
jojo 12 wrote:
No wonder some people are starting to say lets take a look at this. What does the 2008 or 2009 figures look like?
hey stupid, if your gonna answer yourself and pretend its someone else....CHANGE YOUR SCREEN NAME...your a retard!
MyChoice

United States

#13 Jul 16, 2010
Maybe the figures for 2008 2009 are not avialable? Just saying.
jojo 12

Kersey, PA

#14 Jul 16, 2010
MyChoice, those were the only numbers
(2006 and 2007) I could find.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm...

Since: Jun 10

Chatsworth

#15 Jul 16, 2010
You do the crime you do the time, no pleas bargains by 'ratting out' someone else for a lighter sentence.

Undercover police officers would be hard to do in such a small county. Everyone knows everyone, and word of mouth flies faster than the local newspaper.
Overseer

Dalton, GA

#16 Jul 16, 2010
hart_trainer wrote:
You do the crime you do the time, no pleas bargains by 'ratting out' someone else for a lighter sentence.
Undercover police officers would be hard to do in such a small county. Everyone knows everyone, and word of mouth flies faster than the local newspaper.
So what is the solution? How do you combat drugs without using informants? Those who have access to drug sellers and drug labs aren't going to come tell out of their sense of civic duty. They only provide information when it benefits them (when they are in trouble.) When they aren't in trouble, it benefits them NOT to tell because they don't want to cut off their supply of drugs.

Anyone have any ideas?
MyChoice

United States

#17 Jul 16, 2010
Well many of these labs and crimes involving drugs are criminal informants breezing through with no trouble because they ARE criminal informants. If people believe that law enforcement,full of integrity, cannot handle their own work, isn't it ridiculous to know they outsource to criminals? Undercover law are trained well and could handle the work, if the complaint is there's not enough money then are the problems really as big as we're told they are? If they were, then the $ would be there. Stop criminal informants, make the law do their own work!
Overseer

Dalton, GA

#18 Jul 16, 2010
That's like saying if the unemployment is really as bad as everyone makes out, then there would be jobs provided for the unemployed.

There are so many problems the government are tasked to solve, yet not enough money to adequately fund a solution. Cancer cure, Homeland Security, failing housing market, education...

You can't squeeze blood from a turnip. If it's not there, it's not there, sorry. The severity of the problem doesn't make money magically appear, it is merely reallocated from other important needs.
Overseer

Dalton, GA

#19 Jul 16, 2010
aow don't get me wrong, a crook is a crook. You can't give them free run, however at the same time law enforcement needs them to get information.

The practice of lessened punishment for their information: Quid Pro Quo, or 'this for that'
Bebekids

Dalton, GA

#20 Jul 16, 2010
how do you expect them to get the information?

if the criminals are the only ones with the info, how do the cops get it?

oh, well i guess the bad guys will feel bad tell the cops the info, HEY if they wait long enough the may not be able to sleep and turn themselves in...right?

shows how stupid you are, working with criminals are a necessary evil, deal with it.

stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Summerville, GA (Aug '10) 7 hr Green Eyes 207
16 officers quit, transfer from Ga. prison (Jul '13) 21 hr ChocolateThunder 4
Teleportation of Physical Objects From One Loca... Sat jojo12 2
Paranormal Sex in Chattooga County (Feb '12) Fri jab 13
Bobby Lee Cook's recent accident and other un-... (Aug '12) Fri Dude 86
Virtual Reality Oct 16 jojo12 1
Hayes Prison Oct 16 curiousminds2014 1

Summerville News Video

Summerville Dating
Find my Match