First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Not Happy With Sheetz

Summersville, WV

#1 Jul 7, 2012
Warning to all: If you pay at the pump at Sheetz you will be charged a "deposit". My friend and I went to Sheetz yesterday morning and paid for our gas at the pump,$20.01 to be exact. My friend then went inside the store and purchased a few drinks. After leaving we decided to stop and pay a few bills and his card was denied for insufficient funds. After getting online to see what was going on with the account we noticed a $125.00 charge to Sheetz. This threw up a HUGE red flag. My friend called the Sheetz Corp and the answer that he recieved was not acceptable. According to them, if you pay at their pumps with a debit card, the "pump" does not know how much gas you are getting, so they pre-authorize your card for $125.00 and after the payment is made from your bank, Sheetz will credit your account back the remaining amount. This could take anywhere from 2 days to a month. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! I dont know about anyone else, but this ws half of my friends paycheck for the week and we cant wait any period of time to get the money back....there are other bills to be paid and a family to raise. Sheetz resolution is to go inside and pre pay.....not a problem! There should be a warning label on the pump! After 8 hours of calling and faxing and BS that we shouldnt have had to go through, the money was finally credited back this morning...Thank God! So be warned....DO NOT PAY AT THE PUMP AT SHEETZ!!! Unless you are fortunate enough to have an extra $125.00 to let them just hold onto til they feel like giving it back!
Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2 Jul 7, 2012
I use Frostburg MD Sheetz with debit, no problem.
Some Penna locations too.
I ride a bike, have $15 in my debit the day before payday, and put $14 in the tank, no problem.

My only complaint is that it takes 2-3 days to show up on my bank statement, sometimes longer. If I fill the truck up, I have to get a receipt to remind me some of the money is already spent

I'm guessing maybe one 'insufficient funds', and the hold goes on, but just a wild guess.

I live near a Pilot, where gas is always cheap, but if I don't have at least $100 in my debit account, it wants me to go inside to get approval.
Frack that.

And maybe WV runs their opperations differently.
I'm a sheetz fan, always treated me right.

Just my 2 cents.
Not Happy With Sheetz

Summersville, WV

#3 Jul 7, 2012
The debit card I am referring to is a paycheck card that is automatically loaded by the employer...if the funds are not on there it will not process...could be because it is that type of card and not a regular account...idk hard to tell with this town! Bad thing is I love Sheetz too, but its definately a lesson learned, I will pay inside from here on out.
Level 3

Location hidden

#4 Jul 7, 2012
Not Happy With Sheetz wrote:
The debit card I am referring to is a paycheck card that is automatically loaded by the employer...if the funds are not on there it will not process...could be because it is that type of card and not a regular account...idk hard to tell with this town! Bad thing is I love Sheetz too, but its definately a lesson learned, I will pay inside from here on out.
My debit card is a credit union, and my employer puts direct deposit on payday, right into the account.

I save 3 cents per gallon with 'My Card'. They scan your drivers license, give you the card right there.
Just a promo card, can't load money on it like a gift card.
Buy 10 get one free, with sandwiches, drinks, donuts, not gas.
all gas stations do it

Hurricane, WV

#5 Jul 7, 2012
Anytime that you pay at the pump, your debit/credit card is preauthorized an amount some are 50, some 75 ect, unfortunately, that is just the way it goes, gomart does it as wellone way or another, you always end up paying for the convenience, it would be nice if you could punch in the amount that you want to put on your card and then insert your card, and it would stop it on that amount, maybe in the future they will figure this out
Level 3

Location hidden

#6 Jul 7, 2012
all gas stations do it wrote:
Anytime that you pay at the pump, your debit/credit card is preauthorized an amount some are 50, some 75 ect, unfortunately, that is just the way it goes, gomart does it as wellone way or another, you always end up paying for the convenience, it would be nice if you could punch in the amount that you want to put on your card and then insert your card, and it would stop it on that amount, maybe in the future they will figure this out
Yeah.
So like if if I get $12.31 of gas, that amount is preauthorized against my account.
I have to pay $12.31 for the convenience of getting $12.31 in gas.

So if my account only has $12.30, I stop there, instead of going to $12.31.

I assume that is what you mean, as that is how it works for me.
Hobo

Ardsley, NY

#7 Jul 7, 2012
Punch it in as credit instead of debit.
all gas stations do it

Hurricane, WV

#8 Jul 8, 2012
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah.
So like if if I get $12.31 of gas, that amount is preauthorized against my account.
I have to pay $12.31 for the convenience of getting $12.31 in gas.
So if my account only has $12.30, I stop there, instead of going to $12.31.
I assume that is what you mean, as that is how it works for me.
THe pre authorization is a set amount by the station, it checks to make sure that you have a certain amount they feel can be pumped, esp on debit cards. It only gives an authorization code, and when it is batched at night, the authorization doesn't get charged, only the amount you put in your tank, sometimes it takes days for the authorization to be removed from your account. The best way to avoid is to pay first then pump, convenience always comes at a price. I just hope that the 10 cents off a gallon I get with my sheetz card doesn't revert to the actual 3 cents off it is supposed to be , anytime soon, lol, I know it is only a 1.60 in savings per fill up but hey, that is over 70 bucks a year I can use elsewhere
1 post removed
Level 3

Location hidden

#10 Jul 8, 2012
<quoted text>
THe pre authorization is a set amount by the station, it checks to make sure that you have a certain amount they feel can be pumped, esp on debit cards. It only gives an authorization code, and when it is batched at night, the authorization doesn't get charged, only the amount you put in your tank, sometimes it takes days for the authorization to be removed from your account. The best way to avoid is to pay first then pump, convenience always comes at a price. I just hope that the 10 cents off a gallon I get with my sheetz card doesn't revert to the actual 3 cents off it is supposed to be , anytime soon, lol, I know it is only a 1.60 in savings per fill up but hey, that is over 70 bucks a year I can use elsewhere
I buy gas at about 6 Sheetz stores in two states.
In the winter, when I use the truck instead of the bike, fillups are typically $40~$50.
There is no preauthorization held against my account, for my purchase.
In a few days, the amount of my purchase is deducted from my account.
I have the feeling you do not understand what I am saying.

Wait, I have it.
You are correct. There is a pre-authorization held against my purchase.
That amount is ZERO dollars, and ZERO cents.
Now, if you understand the meaning of ZERO, we are on the same page.
I am not too hopeful.
all gas stations do it

Hurricane, WV

#11 Jul 8, 2012
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>I buy gas at about 6 Sheetz stores in two states.
In the winter, when I use the truck instead of the bike, fillups are typically $40~$50.
There is no preauthorization held against my account, for my purchase.
In a few days, the amount of my purchase is deducted from my account.
I have the feeling you do not understand what I am saying.
Wait, I have it.
You are correct. There is a pre-authorization held against my purchase.
That amount is ZERO dollars, and ZERO cents.
Now, if you understand the meaning of ZERO, we are on the same page.
I am not too hopeful.
I understand exactly what you are saying, but I don't want to be in a pissin contest, you are paying with a debit card, which you probably have overdraft protection, the paycheck cards do not afford this luxury, even when you pay at the pump it is doing a preauthorization to make sure the money is there, so you have 12.31 cents in your account you still get approved b/c of the overdraft protection, it won't show up on statements b/c it is a pre auth not an actual purchase, just because you have used many gas stations does not make you an expert, as I have programmed debit card purchases and verifone machines and that is basically how it is. I have personally set preauthorization limits and dealt with this many times in the restaurant business THis fellow had a pre auth that held his money, no overdraft protection so he got screwed the rest of the day.
Since it wasn't a purchase it will not show up
I understand ZERO
I have turned the page
Confused

United States

#12 Jul 8, 2012
<quoted text>
it won't show up on statements b/c it is a pre auth not an actual purchase,
You are right it doesn't show up on statements but if you do online banking it does show up on there. most gas stations that I have used the pre authorization charge comes off within in 24 hours. The first time I realized this was happening was a few years ago & I was also upset but the costumer service lady explained what the charge was for & my bank assured me that I would not over straw b/c of a pre authorization charge like that
Level 3

Location hidden

#13 Jul 9, 2012
Overdraft protection?
What the H is that.
bank much

Hurricane, WV

#14 Jul 9, 2012
Since they enacted the law stating that it is a serious offense to overdraft your account, ALL banks offer overdraft protection services in order for their clients not to be considered felons because they made a mistake in balancing their checkbook. It is generally a safety net so banks can pay a person's check if it is held to long by the individual it was written to or not written down in ones ledger. I am sure u can call your bank and they will let you know that you indeed have overdraft protection. I am curious to know why you didn't know about it. When the law was passed making it a crime to write a worthless check,and the use of debit cards more than the use of cash, the banks saw this as an opportunity to help their customers that dont keep accurate records with this safety net, AND another way to make 35 bucks for this convenience so one doesn't go to jail or have a criminal record.
Can't believe u weren't aware of this, it is standard practice for all banks, they usually cover you the amount of your typical direct deposit or avg monthly deposit. I received a tri fold flyer from both of my banks a few years back explaining the new rules regulations and penalties about 9 years ago.
Peggy

Ona, WV

#15 Jul 9, 2012
We get gas at Sheetz all the time and have never had this happen and we use our debit card. I'm sorry you're having problems.
Level 3

Location hidden

#16 Jul 9, 2012
bank much wrote:
Since they enacted the law stating that it is a serious offense to overdraft your account, ALL banks offer overdraft protection services in order for their clients not to be considered felons because they made a mistake in balancing their checkbook. It is generally a safety net so banks can pay a person's check if it is held to long by the individual it was written to or not written down in ones ledger. I am sure u can call your bank and they will let you know that you indeed have overdraft protection. I am curious to know why you didn't know about it. When the law was passed making it a crime to write a worthless check,and the use of debit cards more than the use of cash, the banks saw this as an opportunity to help their customers that dont keep accurate records with this safety net, AND another way to make 35 bucks for this convenience so one doesn't go to jail or have a criminal record.
Can't believe u weren't aware of this, it is standard practice for all banks, they usually cover you the amount of your typical direct deposit or avg monthly deposit. I received a tri fold flyer from both of my banks a few years back explaining the new rules regulations and penalties about 9 years ago.
Well if it is standard practice, how can it be an issue as duffos seems to think it is.
There would be no holds on the accounts.
If it is standard practice, and eveyone has it, of course I do too, as does everyone else.
Seems doofus still has it incorrect.
I am taking your word that I have it, as I have not requested it, nor do I pay for such a service.
Could I have been sent some 'junk mail' from my credit union that I did not read.
You bettcha.
Hmmm

United States

#17 Jul 9, 2012
never charge me
not true

Montgomery Village, MD

#18 Nov 28, 2012
if you pay with a debit card, they only hold what you pumped, nothing more. I don't buy the $125 story at all.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#19 Nov 28, 2012
I have never had any problem with paying at the pump at Sheetz. I always use my Sheetz card and I recently got their credit card and it takes an extra 5 cents off per gallon of gas (I get 8 cents off a gallon each time by using both). There is a place holder placed on the account if it is a Visa card of $1.00 but within a day or 2 the actual amount appears.
Shay

Cortland, OH

#20 Feb 26, 2013
This just happened to me tonight. I put 5 FREAKING dollars in my gas tank, paid at the pump, and now there's 100 dollars missing out of my account! There was only 140 in there! I've used this card MORE than ONE TIME at the pump, and it's always showed EXACTLY what I bought. Now I'm screwed. So those of you who "don't buy it", I hope you never have this happen to you!
Shay

Cortland, OH

#21 Feb 26, 2013
Oh, and I did this instead of going in because I have a 3 month old infant and it was sleeting. Sheetz are a bunch of jerks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge Bloom rules in favor of Nicholas board in... 22 min Ex-teacher 2
Bobby Holdren - Come on Sweeney 5 hr Nick barnett 20
do not use mountain state plumbing (Dec '16) 19 hr Amused 15
aarons in summersville reviews (Dec '10) 20 hr Drugs 42
Poll does wv have mountain lions? (Jun '12) Fri 304redneck 476
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Thu Just saying 4,194
Sara white Thu Think u should know 15

Summersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance