SUMMERSVILLE Reveals Life of the Brya...

SUMMERSVILLE Reveals Life of the Bryant family

There are 55 comments on the BroadwayWorld.com story from Feb 5, 2015, titled SUMMERSVILLE Reveals Life of the Bryant family. In it, BroadwayWorld.com reports that:

In the heart of West Virginia is Summersville, the home of the Bryant family and author Alice Bryant Byrd . In her new non-fiction, " Summersville : My Family's Life of Privilege, Politics, and Passion in Small-Town West Virginia" , Byrd describes the history of her family within the West Virginia town from the 1940s to the 1970s.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BroadwayWorld.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LOL

Charleston, WV

#1 Feb 6, 2015
LOL The Kennedy's of Nicholas County. Let me guess Donnie Bryant is Ted
oldtimer73

United States

#2 Feb 6, 2015
LOL wrote:
LOL The Kennedy's of Nicholas County. Let me guess Donnie Bryant is Ted
hahahahahaha i thought the kennedys was the kamms or the leroses,, all just about cut from same scum ! i did live thru the bryant scandal... what a joke... lol lol bet the smut didnt make it to the book..
luky

United States

#3 Feb 6, 2015
donnie bryant,, lmbo,, hope he's gone for good.... druggie, dumb as dumb can be.. know for a fact he cant read a swntence.. momma a school teacher..
Looking

Bumpass, VA

#4 Feb 16, 2015
Read the book....seems to me one great big skeleton was left in the closet !
Outed

Milton, WV

#5 Feb 16, 2015
Looking wrote:
Amazing that it describes their mother's alcoholism but left that one detail out that probably caused her to drink. I, too, lived in this era and there are many details that I don't recall going quite that way. And he is taking a lot of credit for things that weren't soley to his credit. While I do acknowledge that Mr. Bryant did a lot for this town, there were many others, during that time, that contributed to the new growth and prosperity in Summersville. And he is not taking credit for his actions in many things.
Outwithit

Milton, WV

#6 Feb 16, 2015
Looking wrote:
It's very interesting to me that one detail, which is probably the biggest reason that woman drank, was never revealed. It also seems to me that he credits himself solely to the success and progress of Summersville during that time when, in fact, there were many people who contributed to that growth. There were no "Kennedys" in this town. They weren't any better than anyone else here. They benefitted from the coal boom like a lot of other families. There are definitely details in this book that just aren't true. And the big elephant still stands in the room.
Looking

Bumpass, VA

#7 Feb 16, 2015
The daughter that wrote the book was quite you during that time and its obvious she has nothing but respect for her father, so is it possible she has no idea?
Looking

Bumpass, VA

#8 Feb 16, 2015
....quite young....
Looking wrote:
The daughter that wrote the book was quite you during that time and its obvious she has nothing but respect for her father, so is it possible she has no idea?
Outwithit

Milton, WV

#9 Feb 16, 2015
Looking wrote:
....quite young....
<quoted text>
She isn't "quite young" now and it's common knowledge here. She still has ties to this area obviously so how could you miss it. And it doesn't really matter with the exception, as portrayed in the book, that his demise here is due to actions of others and not of his own. If anything, his actions were covered up. He needs to come out of the closet here...it seems he has elsewhere. The Oxford Inn incident is portrayed completely wrong. I'm sure she wrote the book based on his words and there is the respect she has for him as she should have. In the 60's and early 70's, it was quite scandalous. Today, not so much...but the book kind of fuels what should have been left alone.
Outwithit

Milton, WV

#10 Feb 16, 2015
Sidebar: I don't think Donnie Bryant is from the same family. Don't get me wrong, these are good people. I just don't think the book is completely correct and a lot of things were left out where "Mayor" is concerned. And that's just my opinion which doesn't matter.
Looking

Bumpass, VA

#11 Feb 16, 2015
I agree left alone, or completely come clean with the circumstances. The book portrayed the mother as the weak link , but I can understand what would have caused her to drink with what she was dealing with in that era.
I enjoyed the book just expected more honesty.
artsson

United States

#12 Feb 16, 2015
Outwithit wrote:
Sidebar: I don't think Donnie Bryant is from the same family. Don't get me wrong, these are good people. I just don't think the book is completely correct and a lot of things were left out where "Mayor" is concerned. And that's just my opinion which doesn't matter.
i was a city worker at that time, i am old and i still know this book is fictional, not the truth,. alot of bad things was left out of the book, knowing what my family really was, would surely put a person off to write a book call it non fiction . nope , its not true book
ermma

United States

#13 Feb 16, 2015
this lady has to know the true story, i also worked in town ,at the oxford inn. call me i will tell you what daddy was... lady you cant be that dumb.
ermma

United States

#14 Feb 16, 2015
Looking wrote:
she knows the truth, just trying to convince you people he was a good mayor.. ehat a joke. lol
mee

Goose Creek, SC

#15 Feb 17, 2015
Lived there back then .. The book is fiction that family was the most dysfunctional mess that ever was.. made Summersville look bad.. not better...
Looking

Bumpass, VA

#16 Feb 17, 2015
I worked a few doors down, but never really knew what went on there that night. Is it something you could share?
burt

Huntington, WV

#17 Feb 17, 2015
luky wrote:
donnie bryant,, lmbo,, hope he's gone for good.... druggie, dumb as dumb can be.. know for a fact he cant read a swntence.. momma a school teacher..
He may be dumb but man he is hung like a horse and boy can he F.
idiot patrol

Charleston, WV

#18 Feb 18, 2015
Funny how people try and rewrite history. Most history is BS. It's kind of satanic;)
Red Pepper

Charleston, WV

#19 Feb 18, 2015
What did happen really at the Oxford Inn then? REally curious. Didn't live here during this time period.
Diver

Summersville, WV

#20 Feb 19, 2015
Who fell off the boat and was never found?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Irean Michelle vicker whatever your real name is. 12 hr Deb 21
Northside commercial 22 hr Northside 11
Steve and Aqua Ryders Sat All crooks 3
Summersville place (Jun '18) Fri Grover 151
Cara mcclung Fri pervert 10
Transgender Children (Jul '17) Dec 13 Smh 89
Smith sister Dec 13 Wonder 5

Summersville Jobs

Personal Finance

Summersville Mortgages