Are The Villages the best place to re...
XVILLAGER

Winter Garden, FL

#336 Nov 2, 2013
Abdul Siam wrote:
Hi Eveverybody.....My parents are considering moving to The Villages. My father wants to know. if the local Radio Station, carry's The Pat Boone
Show.He told me you can judge a community, by the Shows the Radio Station Airs.
Maybe, but have them look at Stonecrest or Harbor Hills also. Every new home has a bond to buy in addition to the price of the home. It is about $20,000. There are fees, special assessments etc. It was a great place but simply overrun by people, some not so nice. Golf carts all over and many serious accidents over the past few months, some fatal. It is very pretty, nice golf courses but you can get that just about anywhere. I moved down from NY a few years ago and bought there. I recently moved to Stonecrest and love it. Private and gated, not any crime to worry about and really nice people. Many lawyers and doctors as well other professionals reside there. Not knocking the Villages but glad I am out of that place. Good luck.
Pat

Lady Lake, FL

#338 Nov 8, 2013
atwell wrote:
nothing bit a bunch of mean old people. you treat people like crap.what kind of people move from family and friends to go to a place where they dont know any one?selfish people.Then they all move to one place called the villages.Not florida's friendliest home town.Its the meanest people i have ever seen in my life.one good thing your time is limited thank god.
Only an idiot would live in useless Eustis. That explains a lot.
Jim C

Newtown, CT

#339 Nov 13, 2013
How do you figure out which village is more preferable than another? Is it by housing cost? Are some villages seemingly more desirable than others? Friendlier or to be avoided? Or is the dart board approach?
Peter

Ocala, FL

#340 Nov 13, 2013
Jim C wrote:
How do you figure out which village is more preferable than another? Is it by housing cost? Are some villages seemingly more desirable than others? Friendlier or to be avoided? Or is the dart board approach?
You visit and look around. ALL Villages are desirable. Depends on how much house you want. Do you want a golf course view, water view, privacy of a courtyard wall. All personal decisions. Close to town square or not. Close to stores and restaurant, or not. Mature landscaping in older villages vs small tress and less landscaping in newer areas. Usually, when people visit they change their mind. What looked good on paper, may not be what they like best once they visit. The opposite happens, too. Sometimes people eliminate vilas until they visit and then decide that that is the best for them. Many people visit several times before buying and many come and purchase on their first visit. Ther's something for everyone.
Jack

Ocala, FL

#341 Nov 13, 2013
To answer the question, it works for some people and not for others, as you can tell by this thread. It's very pretty but I liked Bernie's answer. Everyone has their own experiences. You really need to live here awhile and try it out. Seems everyone likes where they live the best so I never argue with my friends on the coasts or in smaller developments etc. It helps to have some money to do all you want to do. Homes are more expensive. I like to go,go, go and this is the place to do that. So much to do.
Jack

Ocala, FL

#342 Nov 13, 2013
Oops...I was answering the original question. To the more recent question, you once again need to live here to know what is the best location for you. Just like I said before, most think their location is best but many many Villagers move within the Villages. Think the average is 2 to 3 times. You can do that here. We are very big. There is the something for everyone.
John- NYC

New York, NY

#344 Nov 20, 2013
This is a CRAZY question, I know,but, would 4,500.00 a month after taxes be enough to havea "GOOD" "ACTIVE " lifestyle in the Villages, or would my wife and myself just be existing ??...THANK YOU
Underdog

Brook Park, OH

#345 Nov 20, 2013
$17,500 a year if you live in a Villa (costing $159,000) is an estimate. That includes a $500 per month mortgage, monthly amenities fees, property taxes, bond, lawn mowing, yard and pest control, cable tv and internet. So that would be just the cost of the home with a mortgage.

Doesn't include food, car/golf cart, entertainment (much of which is free) and other stuff.
Underdog

Brook Park, OH

#346 Nov 20, 2013
Includes homeowners insurance. And much of the utilities. I believe there's a villages website with an estimate of the cost. There's gotta be one somewhere.
Matt

Ocala, FL

#347 Nov 20, 2013
John NYC Yes. Decide how much house you need. We like to never have money problems and travel a great deal. Florida is so much cheaper than NY or New Jersey.
Anonymous

New York, NY

#348 Nov 21, 2013
Hi Matt....THANK YOU....I'm just afraid that I'll be there and be stuck in my house ( with my wife )...I won't have a mortgage..and I was worried about the CCD fees and the maintance fees being too much for us to handle....we want to be involved in alot of activities ( me ...GOLF & SOFTBALL / my wife .... & other things ...we are looking for a houe at about 250,000.00 ...I THINK)
Matt wrote:
John NYC Yes. Decide how much house you need. We like to never have money problems and travel a great deal. Florida is so much cheaper than NY or New Jersey.
Underdog

Brook Park, OH

#349 Nov 21, 2013
People don't know how good the softball is. Jose Canseco was there a month ago playing in a tournament. Lots of different levels of play. Lots of enthusiasm.
Matt

Ocala, FL

#350 Nov 21, 2013
John NYC,
Perfect! Good price range for house. Buy a pre-owned in a location you love but also know many Villagers move within the Village so you are not stuck with the first home you own.
You have plenty of money to have a hell of a good time.! Tons of golf courses in and outside the Villages. Softball is great here. Cheap cruises as you are near the oceans and ports. Near all the big amusement parks. 15000 clubs that are $5 to $10 dollars to join. Everything you could want is here or a short drive away. New homes are pricy and they hit you with that bond. Plus where they are building is too far out.
Not one more worry about money. Get down here and start having fun.
John- NYC

New York, NY

#351 Nov 22, 2013
Hi Matt....THANK YOU (AGAIN)...we will be coming there to rent a home for a week ...than will rent a home long term before buying....THANKS ALOT for your help
Matt wrote:
John NYC,
Perfect! Good price range for house. Buy a pre-owned in a location you love but also know many Villagers move within the Village so you are not stuck with the first home you own.
You have plenty of money to have a hell of a good time.! Tons of golf courses in and outside the Villages. Softball is great here. Cheap cruises as you are near the oceans and ports. Near all the big amusement parks. 15000 clubs that are $5 to $10 dollars to join. Everything you could want is here or a short drive away. New homes are pricy and they hit you with that bond. Plus where they are building is too far out.
Not one more worry about money. Get down here and start having fun.
Christine

Ocala, FL

#352 Nov 22, 2013
John from NY. My husband and I live on about $3,000 a month and save the other $1,000 and we live VERY WELL. We travel a lot and go out to eat a lot, too. Come on down, you'll love it.
Matt

Ocala, FL

#353 Nov 22, 2013
John NYC,

Renting is the only way to go. Some areas have train noise. Too close to pickle ball courts can make you move to get away from that noise. Make sure you are not too close to a water treatment plant as odor can be a problem.
Renting will give you time to research.
I so agree with Christine.
Welcome!
Barbnick

Eustis, FL

#354 Nov 23, 2013
We have lived in the Villages fo 2 years. Within those 2 years we regressed our age by an easy 10 years!
We have yet to meet unfriendly or grumpy people. Best move ever made.
John- NYC

New York, NY

#355 Nov 25, 2013
Hi Christine...WOW ...THANK YOU ....so 3,000.00 a month would be good enough to have a full villages life , even after paying the CDD & Mantenance fees...we'll have enough for GOLF, TENNIS and all the other activities....plus we will be able to TRAVEL...which we REALLY want to do ...I HOPE SO ...GREAT !!!
Christine wrote:
John from NY. My husband and I live on about $3,000 a month and save the other $1,000 and we live VERY WELL. We travel a lot and go out to eat a lot, too. Come on down, you'll love it.
ray machroi

Windermere, FL

#356 Dec 15, 2013
Living in the villages for 12ys. from chgo. weather is great, shoping,drs. everyting within minutes. as far as sexualy active, started by a doctor who was rejected by the villages. most negtives come from other wanna be retirement areas, that are jealous, spending there time visiting and attending free entertainment.
jan lane

Howick, New Zealand

#357 Dec 15, 2013
I am a single 69 from NZ and wondered about renting a house for 6 weeks or so in June/July and playing golf? Is this do-able and how hot is it at that time of the year? What would I be expected to pay? What would I have to pay to play golf and what transport would I use?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summerfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk Of The Villages (TOTV) (Jul '14) 12 hr Just me 390
News Man accused of shooting into home of woman he h... 18 hr Edward 5
Trouble At Stonecrest (Oct '12) 18 hr Edward 24
News STDs Running Rampant In Retirement Community (May '06) Jul 18 pailrider 110
clinton cash movie coming out Jul 15 Dr who 5
Seat savers at the villages squares. Jul 13 David 19
the fall of america Jul 5 Mr T 18

Summerfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Summerfield Mortgages