Lady Lake, FL

#295 Oct 10, 2013
Good point Go Blue Forever
Sassy

Cape May, NJ

#296 Oct 11, 2013
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people use their cart all day and charge it every night. most peolpe from the UK, find the prices in the shops very reasonable. Here's a link to the shops within The Villages. When you open it, just click on the link for Spanish Springs shops, or Lake Sumter shops, etc. There are many other shops and malls close to the Villages...15 minute car drive away.
http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle/shopping...
We recently visited TV. Found shops to be a bit overpriced. People were very friendly on the streets and other establishmments. Very vanilla atmosphere, though pristine clean and homes were rapidly being built...quality is questionable. I like that they invite you back to stay for a visit and For Rent By Owner is a great option before purchasing.
We have not ruled it out!
Sparky

Leesburg, FL

#297 Oct 12, 2013
Mary wrote:
It's a wonderful place to live. I'm a nurse here. Don't believe what you hear or read about STD'S AND AIDS. Lots of rumors are from us old people love to gossip and grumble. Majority are very nice and extremely friendly and helpful.
It's hot and humid here in summer but the winter months are delightful and that's the payoff. Hot and humid brings bugs although Ii'ver never had a problem. Had the same issues in North Carolina and Kansas City so it's nothing new to me. You adapt.
Lots of small housing and plenty of single women for you. They out-number single men by ALOT!!
The "bond" is the cost of the infrastructure: sewers, streets, power, water and natural gas installations. In most markets that is added into the price of the home. Here it's a separate charge and can be paid for thru your property taxes over a 20yr. period. Yes-I will pass my balance on to the next owner because if I paid it off I couldn't add it to the price of my home when I sell , esp. in this soft market.
Come for a visit. Just call the 800# and tell them you want a "preview" visit. They're very helpful.
Did you know that the VILLAGES made national news about STD'S some years back?? THIS IS TRUE!!
Sparky

Leesburg, FL

#298 Oct 12, 2013
Did you know that the VILLAGES made National News years back about STD'S??
Patty

Lady Lake, FL

#299 Oct 12, 2013
Sparky wrote:
Did you know that a doctor made a flippant statement when being interviewed on national news. THAT made the headlines. A few days later, she retracted her statement. THAT was buried on page 50 or so. She was interviewed several times after that and she apologized profusely for her comment. You can google it and get the FACTS. Stop spreading a rumor that has been dead for years.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#300 Oct 12, 2013
Sparky wrote:
Either CBS's Sunday Morning or 60 Minutes did an excellent segment on the Villages, several years ago....
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#301 Oct 18, 2013
Was there just recently with my Wife....thought it was GREAT...alot of people , alot of golf carts...people playing tennis , softball and of course ....GOLF !....I am though very,very concerned about the BOND & CDD FEES....VERY CONCERNED....what do you "VILLAGERS" have to say about them to help me out...THANK YOU
POOKIE

Brooklyn, NY

#302 Oct 18, 2013
Hello, have one very important question to ask. Do you allow POOKIE GIRLS to live in the Villages
Underdog

Lady Lake, FL

#303 Oct 19, 2013
The bond is to pay for the infrastructure cost when building your "Village," is added to your property taxes and paid off over many years (unless you choose to pay it off early). If they repaired the sidewalk in front of the house you live in now they would assess it to your property taxes.

Amenities fees are $145 per month ... cheaper than amenities fees in most planned communities. It pays for the 60 swimming pools, 140 tennis and pickleball courts, helps keep golf at $4 per 9 holes (on an executive course), provides free nightly entertainment, and keeps the place looking like paradise.
Underdog

Lady Lake, FL

#304 Oct 19, 2013
"The house you live in now" means the house you currently live in outside the Villages. Same concept.
Underdog

Lady Lake, FL

#305 Oct 19, 2013
Last night I had a fabulous surf and turf (filet mingon) at a country club for $22. When you become a resident you are automatically a member of all 12 country clubs throughout the Villages. Two days ago I had a beer at one for $2.95. Small pizza for two was about $9.
Sarah

Lady Lake, FL

#306 Oct 19, 2013
Joe wrote:
Was there just recently with my Wife....thought it was GREAT...alot of people , alot of golf carts...people playing tennis , softball and of course ....GOLF !....I am though very,very concerned about the BOND & CDD FEES....VERY CONCERNED....what do you "VILLAGERS" have to say about them to help me out...THANK YOU
If you are VERY CONCERNED...then you probably just don't understand it. I have lived in the Villages for 8 wonderful years and I am not concerned at all. The developer knows exactly what he is doing. He has done a wonderful job and will continue to do so. The CDD fees are extremely reasonable...much cheaper than most communities and you get so much more. The bond issue will be cleared up. It will probably take a few years but I am not worried. The issuing of tax free bonds was done at about 200 Florida communities. The Villages is only ONE of them. the IRS initially ruled that theyshould be tax free. Now they are CONSIDERING changing their decision. This would cause havoc all thru Florida. I don't think it will happen. I believe that they will decide that MOVING FORWARD, any new bonds isuued will be taxable.
To the other poster...this is NOT the same bond as the individual HOME BOND. You are correct about the home bond... that is for infrastructure of your Village but that is not the IRS bond issue.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#307 Oct 21, 2013
Hi Sarah...THANK YOU for your reply ...APPRECIATED...it's not that I don't understand it...it's more that I'm afraid of it...I know that it varies from home to home & area to area...I'm just afraid of the cost....afraid that it will limit and take away from all the enjoyment of living at the Villages..afraid that it will limit and stop us from joining clubs and activities that we want to join.
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are VERY CONCERNED...then you probably just don't understand it. I have lived in the Villages for 8 wonderful years and I am not concerned at all. The developer knows exactly what he is doing. He has done a wonderful job and will continue to do so. The CDD fees are extremely reasonable...much cheaper than most communities and you get so much more. The bond issue will be cleared up. It will probably take a few years but I am not worried. The issuing of tax free bonds was done at about 200 Florida communities. The Villages is only ONE of them. the IRS initially ruled that theyshould be tax free. Now they are CONSIDERING changing their decision. This would cause havoc all thru Florida. I don't think it will happen. I believe that they will decide that MOVING FORWARD, any new bonds isuued will be taxable.
To the other poster...this is NOT the same bond as the individual HOME BOND. You are correct about the home bond... that is for infrastructure of your Village but that is not the IRS bond issue.

Location hidden

#308 Oct 21, 2013
I get the feeling, reading many of these posts, that some are by realtors or others with a monetary reason for such glowing descriptions.....Sometime's Florida is like NY with palm trees...lol....
Sarah

Lady Lake, FL

#309 Oct 21, 2013
Joe wrote:
Hi Sarah...THANK YOU for your reply ...APPRECIATED...it's not that I don't understand it...it's more that I'm afraid of it...I know that it varies from home to home & area to area...I'm just afraid of the cost....afraid that it will limit and take away from all the enjoyment of living at the Villages..afraid that it will limit and stop us from joining clubs and activities that we want to join.<quoted text>
Then buy a resale. Many of the older homes have paid off the bond and will advertise it.
You can save a lot of money by buying a home that is only a few years old. Many even sell their homes turnkey....meaning fully furnished. I am not a realtor but I am on my third home in The Villages. I sold the first two homes as For Sale By Owner. Saves both parties thousands of dollars.
Sarah

Lady Lake, FL

#310 Oct 21, 2013
Joe wrote:
Hi Sarah...THANK YOU for your reply ...APPRECIATED...it's not that I don't understand it...it's more that I'm afraid of it...I know that it varies from home to home & area to area...I'm just afraid of the cost....afraid that it will limit and take away from all the enjoyment of living at the Villages..afraid that it will limit and stop us from joining clubs and activities that we want to join.<quoted text>
Most of the clubs in The Villages are free. Some charge $5-$10 per year. You don't need a lot of money to join lots of clubs.

Here's a link to all the clubs.
http://districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pd...
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

#311 Oct 21, 2013
If you have any interest after reading a good number of these posts - just visit the place. Words don't truly describe it.

Ignore the negative speculations of those that have never been there.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#312 Oct 24, 2013
Hi again Sarah,THANK YOU for both of your replies ...I REALLY do appreciate it....will check the homes that you mention... and as far as the clubs ....UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!, P.S...I'm not from Jersey City ...I'm from Lake Mary Fl.
Underdog wrote:
If you have any interest after reading a good number of these posts - just visit the place. Words don't truly describe it.
Ignore the negative speculations of those that have never been there.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#313 Oct 24, 2013
Hi again Sarah,THANK YOU for both of your replies ...I REALLY do appreciate it....will check the homes that you mention... and as far as the clubs ....UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!, P.S...I'm not from Jersey City ...I'm from Lake Mary Fl.- CLICKED ON WRONG POST BEFORE !!!! 8596
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the clubs in The Villages are free. Some charge $5-$10 per year. You don't need a lot of money to join lots of clubs.
Here's a link to all the clubs.
http://districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pd...

Location hidden

#314 Oct 24, 2013
Looking at some of the properties, available here on this forum....some prices seem outrageously high to me....$119,000 for an 1985 Doublewide, manufactured home(mobile home)...including the lot....does'nt that seem a bit strong?.....I see condos and townhouses, here in Palm Beach County....a much more sought out area.....starting at $35,000 to $119,000....solid structures in hurricanes, also....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summerfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Am I Liberal or Conservative Wed Cincinnati Red 56
132 Children executed Wed TOTV member 1
Thank God for the Village News.com Dec 16 The Villager 2 29
Will the "BLUE FLU" hit the NYPD and the rest o... Dec 16 Lobo1 1
Review: All 4 Paws Wildwood Dec 14 The Villager 2 2
shauna rose Dec 12 resident 1
Review: Tom Donnelly Plumbing (Sep '09) Dec 11 kurtcooksalot16 7
Summerfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web