Sandy

Cincinnati, OH

#254 Jul 11, 2013
In my opinion if you have deep roots in the place you worked and lived most of your life, then you might be better off staying where you are and considering just renting in TV now and then. We moved often and never really established life long friendships, so TV is perfect for us. So easy to meet people. It takes a long time to establish friendships, but in TV it seems like you have instant friends and your social calendar will fill up quickly. It is hard to leave the family and especially those precious grandkids, but my reality was my kids and their spouses all work and are very busy, so watching them stress about making sure they spend time with both sets of grandparents on the weekends, with no time for themselves, was too much for me. I know if I need a family "fix", I can get in the car or get airline tickets and visit. Also with Disney not far, your grandkids will want to come and visit. As far as money goes, it is like anyplace else, richer people can afford more, no different than any other place. I lived in CA and there is lots to do there as well, but everything is expensive. Same as Chicago area. but there are lots of things that don't cost that much in TV.
tom tuttle

Ballwin, MO

#255 Jul 21, 2013
what an interesting conversation. it was quite entertaining to read while at work. lots and lots of angry people on here.
SkinnyGirl

Lady Lake, FL

#256 Jul 21, 2013
tom tuttle wrote:
what an interesting conversation. it was quite entertaining to read while at work. lots and lots of angry people on here.
Notice where those angry people are from.....NOT Florida. I don't know why they are posting on a Villages thread if they don't even LIVE here. The Villages is GREAT.
Toby West

Lady Lake, FL

#257 Jul 21, 2013
We have been residents of TV for eight years, having moved down from Connecticut. Compared to costs in the NorthEast, TV is a bargain for sure. Our house in CT sold for 4x what our very nice TV house cost. And the quality of our house's construction is truly excellent.

We could have bought roughly the same kind of house outside TV for about 20~25% less, but were more than happy to pay the extra to participate in the TV amenities. It is interesting to note that the prices of new houses have increased 20% in TV since 2005. Remember, that is during a steep downturn in FL real estate. They must be doing something right to pull that off.

TV isn't right for everyone, but if it fits your lifestyle, there really isn't a better place.
Ocala

Lady Lake, FL

#258 Jul 22, 2013
If you read the posts, the non Florida posts come from people who did live in THE Villages and didn't work or them.
Ocala

Lady Lake, FL

#259 Jul 22, 2013
Sorry Didn't proof read. Should of said if you read the non Florida posts, they come from former residents who did own in The Villages and it didn't work for them. But obviously it works for many.
Rita

Hillsborough, NJ

#260 Jul 29, 2013
atwell wrote:
nothing bit a bunch of mean old people. you treat people like crap.what kind of people move from family and friends to go to a place where they dont know any one?selfish people.Then they all move to one place called the villages.Not florida's friendliest home town.Its the meanest people i have ever seen in my life.one good thing your time is limited thank god.
Wow!
Not our experience. My husband and I just returned from a month in The Villages to test the "lifestyles". It was out third trip in 8 months. The other trips were for a few days. We were welcomed and treated by everyone like new found relatives. We are an African American couple and were surprised by the warm friendly expressions we experienced from EVERYBODY. We are cleaning , purging,and packing in anticipating our move in 2024 to The Villages"
FatAss

Lady Lake, FL

#261 Jul 29, 2013
Rita wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
Not our experience. My husband and I just returned from a month in The Villages to test the "lifestyles". It was out third trip in 8 months. The other trips were for a few days. We were welcomed and treated by everyone like new found relatives. We are an African American couple and were surprised by the warm friendly expressions we experienced from EVERYBODY. We are cleaning , purging,and packing in anticipating our move in 2024 to The Villages"
You will be more than welcome in the beautiful Villages but don't let in take 11 years. Hurry down while you are still young enough to enjoy this wonderful life. Hopefully, it was a typo and you meant 2014
Rita

Hillsborough, NJ

#262 Jul 29, 2013
Not our experience! My husband and I just returned from renting a home fir a month in The Villages to test 'the lifestyle'. It was our third trip in 8 months. The other trips were for se reals days. We were welcomed and treated by everyone like new found relatives. We are an African America couple and pleasantly surprised by the warm friendly expressions we experienced from EVERYBODY. we have returned to our home if 30 years in New Jersey to cleaning, sorting, purging and packing in anticipation of our move to The Villages in 2014
Joe

New York, NY

#264 Aug 4, 2013
In my experience people that make large outlays, such as for cars or houses, are reluctant to admit dissatisfaction with their purchase. Also, I've found people raving about the place they retire to when the real thing they're enjoying is simply not having to to to a job they didn't like. Lesson is rent and see for yourself.

That said, my impression of TV is a place that's totally not cosmopolitan. The squares, which the make such a big deal about, are filled with bad restaurants, hokey entertainment, silly stores. You don't encounter interesting, intelligent, well travelled folks. Never go away from an encounter that offers any sort of enrichment. Maybe it's the price point, which is at the lower end. Or maybe that its so totally white and Republican. These are smug folks, so happy to be away from the real, more threatening (to them anyway) world.
Joe

New York, NY

#265 Aug 4, 2013
Rita wrote:
Not our experience! My husband and I just returned from renting a home fir a month in The Villages to test 'the lifestyle'. It was our third trip in 8 months. The other trips were for se reals days. We were welcomed and treated by everyone like new found relatives. We are an African America couple and pleasantly surprised by the warm friendly expressions we experienced from EVERYBODY. we have returned to our home if 30 years in New Jersey to cleaning, sorting, purging and packing in anticipation of our move to The Villages in 2014
Be careful Rita. From what I saw there's a good chance there's gonna be a cross burned on your new lawn
Jackie

Sunnyvale, CA

#266 Aug 4, 2013
Ocala wrote:
Sorry Didn't proof read. Should of said if you read the non Florida posts, they come from former residents who did own in The Villages and it didn't work for them. But obviously it works for many.
Ever hear of a proxy server? I am in the villages, see where my posting shows. You are not a computer genius.
Ocala

Lady Lake, FL

#267 Aug 6, 2013
Jackie,
You are right I know next to nothing about computers but I wasn't even looking at those addresses. I was looking at what they said. I believe it was skinny girl who was using those addresses to say these people didn't live in Florida.
Ocala

Lady Lake, FL

#268 Aug 6, 2013
I was responding to skinny girl.
Thinking about a move

New York, NY

#269 Aug 6, 2013
Villages Suck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see, over 300 million being investigated by IRS, class action law suits due to Chinese dry wall, flaking siding, sink holes devouring driveways, damaging homes etc. no outside newspapers allowed to be sold or delivered on premises,no HOA as prescribed by Fl statues #720, re sale value down to nothing, go enjoy your painting clubs, then suck wind when your home falls apart, as they all do. its the worst construction in the industry. By the way idiot, Im not in Elks Grove, I'm in the Villages, ever hear of a proxy server you babbling idiot.
Is it true that no outside papers are allowed to be sold or delivered? That's creepy.
liposuctionLucy

Lady Lake, FL

#270 Aug 7, 2013
Thinking about a move wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it true that no outside papers are allowed to be sold or delivered? That's creepy.
We get USA Today delivered. Others get The Orlando Sentinel and The NY Times.
Lots of people on topix just make stuff up...none of it true. Come down and see for yourself. 100,000 people cant be wrong.
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

#271 Aug 11, 2013
There is no place like the Villages! Many of the comments here are reflective of the personalities of the posters.

The original thought behind the Villages was to provide a quality retirement for middle class people from up north. You can buy a house for $100,000 or $1,000,000 - yet have a millionaire's lifestyle the rest of your life.

The community is made up of those that have lived a reasonably successful life, are adventuresome, and willing to take the risk of leaving a familiar past to squeeze all the juice left in their lives - instead of passively fading away.

That type of person may not be a liberal educated elite, but is rarely an uneducated, uninteresting individual.

We all have a story to tell of where we came from and we all have more life to enjoy. Come down and tell us your story.

If still unsure. Come down and visit, because words just cannot describe the place.
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

#272 Aug 11, 2013
One person said that the Villages is not "cosmopolitan." While it is a retirement community, I see families and kids there all the time.

Even so, the last time I lived in a place that was not cosmopolitan was at college. So many people just like me! I had the time of my life. Wish I could've stayed 10 years!
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

#273 Aug 11, 2013
Finally, I invited some African American friends down in May. They had a fabulous time and felt as comfortable at the Villages as in their home town.
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

#274 Aug 11, 2013
"The original thought behind the Villages was to provide a quality retirement for middle class people from up north. You can buy a house for $100,000 or $1,000,000 - yet have a millionaire's lifestyle the rest of your life."

And that's why it's the fastest growing community in the U.S.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summerfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 29 min Bobby 2,480
Fox or MSNBC 3 hr RuffnReddy 9
hi Sun bigdaddy9669 1
Who else had a bisexual wife? Sep 13 kat 4
Talk Of The Villages (TOTV) Sep 11 Lou 123
Tea party is losing their hold on the Villages ... Sep 10 Visitor 111
Attention: Del Webb Spruce Creek residents... Sep 9 ocalian 1
•••
•••
•••

Summerfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000