Are The Villages the best place to retire in Florida?

Posted in the Summerfield Forum

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Retiring

Seattle, WA

#1 Apr 7, 2009
Am retiring shortly. Heard that the Villages were the place to retire in Florida! Is this really true? I'm a single male, so I only need a small inexpensive home. What does it actually cost to live in The Villages? Would South Florida be better a better place to go?
mary

Mount Dora, FL

#2 Apr 9, 2009
I don't think anything compares to The Villages. visit www.myvillagesconnection.com and look at all the fun activities, friendships and good times we have!
A Villager

Eustis, FL

#3 Apr 9, 2009
There are many many good places in Florida to retire. I like it here but my friends like their developments too. Do a great deal of research-
Contrary to what Mary said Talkofthevillages.com is a much bigger site with many posters and many threads where your question has been asked.
Mary's site use to be Villageschat and there is a whole thread here about that site.
Enjoy your retirement!

“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Mar 09

Chicago, IL - The Villages, FL

#4 Apr 9, 2009
Actually the best site for information on The Villages is myvillagesconnection.com
Retiring

Seattle, WA

#5 Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for the tips! How does the climate of The Villages compare with South Florida?(Miami, Sarasota, etc.)
Mike

Altamonte Springs, FL

#6 Apr 10, 2009
Not as warm. My neighbor has a summer home in the Villages and a winter home in Palm Beach. Ask questions and read back threads of TalkoftheVillages.com . They have many more posters than this new site.
atwell

Mount Dora, FL

#7 Jul 4, 2009
nothing bit a bunch of mean old people. you treat people like crap.what kind of people move from family and friends to go to a place where they dont know any one?selfish people.Then they all move to one place called the villages.Not florida's friendliest home town.Its the meanest people i have ever seen in my life.one good thing your time is limited thank god.
don

Mount Dora, FL

#8 Jul 4, 2009
such bull from atwell.....stay in Eustis, you loser!
Cindy

Orlando, FL

#9 Jul 4, 2009
It is a overcrowded community now. It is #1 AIDS. (NOT JOKING)
Retiring

Seattle, WA

#10 Jul 5, 2009
atwell wrote:
nothing bit a bunch of mean old people. you treat people like crap.what kind of people move from family and friends to go to a place where they dont know any one?selfish people.Then they all move to one place called the villages.Not florida's friendliest home town.Its the meanest people i have ever seen in my life.one good thing your time is limited thank god.
Can't they have their kids visit? Besides, I heard that the mount of sexual activity going on there with the seniors is truly amazing!
Lola

Longwood, FL

#11 Jul 5, 2009
First of all, I am a resident of The Villages, so I will give you an insiderís perspective. The Villages is a fun place to live, but you'll enjoy your life here a lot more if you are a person of means. Although they will claim that all income levels can comfortably reside here, most things are geared toward the more affluent. Even the local stores are high-end. Secondly, if you decide to move here, get yourself a very thorough house inspector before purchasing. The homes in The Villages are put up practically overnight and many corners are cut (translation: look at things very carefully). Also, there is a monthly amenities fee that everyone must pay. Mine happens to be $137 a month and that has increased since I moved here two years ago. There are many golf courses throughout, but that comes with a price tag as well. Also, outside lawn care has to be done more often because the growing season is much longer here in "the tropics". And pest control is a must; and for a good pest control company you will pay about $400 to $500 a year, and thatís not counting your annual termite inspections. If you move into Sumter County, there is a bond that must be paid in addition to the purchase price of your home. For a new home, you will have the full amount of the bond, but even for resales there could be a remaining bond amount if the previous owners did not pay it off. I'm in the "cheap seats" and my bond is $10,000, which you can pay off in 20 years. However, the amount of the bond increases depending on the size/cost of the home you purchase. During the months that the snowbirds reside here, traffic is very heavy. But once they leave, the roads are a pleasure to drive on. Medical care is plentiful, but most doctors want to see you more frequently. I hope I helped you with the information I provided.
Mary

Lady Lake, FL

#12 Jul 23, 2009
It's a wonderful place to live. I'm a nurse here. Don't believe what you hear or read about STD'S AND AIDS. Lots of rumors are from us old people love to gossip and grumble. Majority are very nice and extremely friendly and helpful.
It's hot and humid here in summer but the winter months are delightful and that's the payoff. Hot and humid brings bugs although Ii'ver never had a problem. Had the same issues in North Carolina and Kansas City so it's nothing new to me. You adapt.
Lots of small housing and plenty of single women for you. They out-number single men by ALOT!!
The "bond" is the cost of the infrastructure: sewers, streets, power, water and natural gas installations. In most markets that is added into the price of the home. Here it's a separate charge and can be paid for thru your property taxes over a 20yr. period. Yes-I will pass my balance on to the next owner because if I paid it off I couldn't add it to the price of my home when I sell , esp. in this soft market.

Come for a visit. Just call the 800# and tell them you want a "preview" visit. They're very helpful.
Beth

Summerfield, FL

#13 Jan 8, 2010
That site has like no info and looks to be almost dead. I think going to Naples or below would be a good idea as the Villages can be very cold.(like it is now)
ricthemic

Ocala, FL

#14 Jan 9, 2010
Chelsea24 wrote:
Actually the best site for information on The Villages is myvillagesconnection.com
Your kidding right Chelsea?
Mary

Debary, FL

#15 Jan 9, 2010
Of course www.thevillages.com has the most information about The Villages!
myvillagesconnection.com is a local online forum for making villages friendships.
Indiana

Winona Lake, IN

#17 Jan 17, 2010
I'm in my 40's and just spent 20 days close to the Villages,went shopping there and spoke with many people. I like the place. Everyone was friendly and the prices at the stores were great.
Steve from california

Altamonte Springs, FL

#18 Feb 4, 2010
My wife and I Moved to the villages and it is the best thing we ever did. The most friendly people and more things to do. If you are retired the villages is the place to be. 24 golf coures you can play on for free. entertainment every night of the year for free. Alot of recreation centers to choose from and a swimming pool in every neighborhood. You can live a millionare life style on a middle class income. The villages is like being in paradise. Check it out.
Kaligirlsam

East Lansing, MI

#19 Feb 4, 2010
Homes are poorly made as evidenced by the tornadoes. People are snobbish somewhat and if they don't seem friendly to kids, well, it is a retirement community. They've been there, done that, got over it. It is pricey to live there but shopping in Lady Lake is no more than any other town. Walmart, Lowes, etc. It is more convenient living there with all amenities so close so you'll just have to weigh everything out. A single guy shouldn't have any problems making friends with all of the clubs and events. The paper lists events for any interest you can think of. It is very difficult to find your way around in the different Villages. Hard to tell someone how to find your place.
Bernie

Belleview, FL

#20 Feb 6, 2010
We have lived in the Villages for years. We love the clubs and having everything so near. It is so big that you always find people from your hometown and with your interests. However, we are looking at other places because we wish the homes weren't so close together, with so much traffic and we need an indoor pool. Place we are looking at has a fitness center, indoor pool included in a very low amenity fee which includes your trash pick-up. You get a better built home with a great view for less money. (plus walking trail) The Villages is a good place but not for everybody.
Adi

Lady Lake, FL

#21 Feb 8, 2010
After several years of visiting and renting homes around The Villages and after studying and looking for retirement homes else where in the country, we selected that The Villages with very little imperfection since we can't please every one is the best place to retire. I just couldn't believe to hear people talk so negatively about this place. If you're complaining about the people who lives here as nasty old people I wonder about yourself. I suggest please look in the mirror. People in The Villages are the most friendly, helpful and generous. May be not all peole are like that but in my Bonita neighborhood
9 out of 10 people are the most friendly. The Villages always try to perfect their services to make us happy. If you buy a home and not happy with it, you have 1 year to tell them to correct every single thing in the house until you're happy. If you enjoy yourself, you will meet a lot of nice people and enjoy the rest of your life here in The Villages with your new friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Summerfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's up with the village news? Oct 25 Mary 3
Linda Lingenfelter Oct 24 Daughters friend 1
Alcoholism (Oct '13) Oct 23 The Villager 2 27
GG is back in full BS mode (Mar '14) Oct 23 The Villager 2 81
Sarah Palin's father and brother pen book about... (Oct '12) Oct 23 Nope 20
Larry or Linda May does anyone know where they are Oct 23 From ky 1
Lou Card is a hoot ! Oct 23 The Villager 2 5
Summerfield Dating
Find my Match

Summerfield People Search