Random Drug testing
Arrowhead High School

Terre Haute, IN

#1 Feb 5, 2008
I am so thankful the article about random drug testing came out in the newspapers. We almost signed on a home in the Arrowhead School District until we came across the newsarticle.

My Son is a star athlete....We just moved here from another state....I had wanted him to continue on with his sports and we were looking for a school who had a good athletic program.

Arrowhead seemed to have been a good choice and we did reseach on the athletic department.

Now, due to the random drug testing, we will look for another school....

My Son does not take drugs and he detests alcohol.

Random drug testing is a violation of his as well as our rights....I would never allow the test to take place...period...especially when there is no probable cause...

Arrowhead may have just lost a valuable athlete due to their stupidity....
Arrowhead High School

Terre Haute, IN

#2 Feb 5, 2008
School deals with new random drug testing program

By Caroline Radaj and Amanda Frankwick

On January 9, in an 8-1 decision, the Arrowhead school board approved the motion that starting the 2008-2009 school year, any student who participates in an extracurricular which involves competition or performance will be eligible for a random drug test.
Arrowhead will administer the tests through a contract with a hospital agency that will be responsible for selecting the students and acting as the control agency, said Arrowhead Activities Director, Geoff Steinbach. It is estimated that about 25% of the student population will receive the drug test at one time throughout the school year. Out of an enrollment of about 2,400 students, between 1,300 and 1,400 participate in extracurricular activities. This means up to 400 students could be randomly tested each year.

The tests will be budgeted and paid for through tax dollars as federal grants change on a year to year basis, said Steinbach.

The district will test for substances including, alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, opiates, cocaine, amphetamines, and possibly anabolic steroids. If a student tests positive for any substance, the student is suspended from their extracurricular activity according to the school’s code of conduct. No other citation or police involvement will occur but the students’ parents and activity director will be contacted.

When asked their opinion on the random drug testing, both senior Emily Grieger and junior Kayla Bastien responded that they don’t expect the tests to make a difference.

“The tests are pointless. It’s not going to change people’s habits because they won’t expect to be selected,” said Grieger.

School officials continue to hope for the opposite. North Campus principal Bonnie Laugerman said,“It creates a positive image that Arrowhead is proactive in taking action against drugs and alcohol.”

Each year the school board will receive a report containing statistical information on how many students were tested, how many tested positive and for what substances they were tested positive for and review the program further.
Drug testing

Terre Haute, IN

#3 Feb 5, 2008
Random drug testing is a violation of constitutional rights....

What do they do with the specimens afterward? Put the "DNA" into a general database?

Where is the probable cause?

Say No! to random drug tests....
What message

Terre Haute, IN

#4 Feb 5, 2008
What kind of message are we giving our children!

We can no longer trust their WORD!

Random drug testing leaves a negitive impact upon our children....
What

Terre Haute, IN

#5 Feb 5, 2008
Arrowhead highschool is sending a clear message to the future leaders of this county!

A person's word is not good enough!!!!

Parents--Where are you in all this red tape?

Are we becoming a nation where the govenmental authorities are taking away our rights and we are no longer responsible for our own actions? Everything seems to be MANDATORY nowadays....
Another site

Terre Haute, IN

#6 Feb 5, 2008
Posts from other site

Terre Haute, IN

#7 Feb 5, 2008
Where does this lock of hair go after it is tested?

In a general database that collects DNA from all citizens?

This is CRAP!!!

Talk about a violation of constitutional rights!

----------
High School To Enforce Mandatory Drug Testing

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 09:46 PM CST

Updated: Feb 4, 2008 10:21 PM CST

Some local high school students won't just have to pass exams to stay in school. The News On 6's Ashli Sims reports Bishop Kelley High School will start mandatory drug testing of every single student, next year.

Bishop Kelley is on a crusade to end illegal student drug use. Starting next year, students won't just promise to be drug free, they'll have to prove it.

"Our goal is not to catch kids. Our goal is to help kids," said Bishop Kelley High School Principal Alan Weyland.

Principal Alan Weyland said help begins with identifying who has a problem. So, all of Bishop Kelley's 870 students will be tested for drugs starting in the fall of 2008. Testing positive once will get you a meeting with the dean and your parents. If you test positive twice, your career at Bishop Kelley is over.

"I think a lot of kids, most kids, are going to say,'I go to Bishop Kelley. I like going to Bishop Kelley. I don't want to risk being asked to leave," said Weyland.

Students will be asked to leave a lock of hair for testing, which some said is a small price to pay.

"I'm all for it. Like all my friends have been saying, there's nothing for me to hide; so, test me," said Bishop Kelley Junior Katherine Devonshire.

"Well, if giving a piece of my hair is all that I need to do to help one kid stay off of drugs, then I'll do it," said Bishop Kelley Junior Payton Fesperman.

Weyland said the hair test by Psychemedics is harder to fake than a urine test and it shows a 90 day history. According to Psychemedics' website, it will detect marijuana, cocaine, meth, and ecstasy.

But, a new national anti-drug ad shows the teen drug of choice is increasingly prescription drugs. The Psychemedics hair test doesn't screen for all of them.

"There are a number that are being tested, and there's a few that to be honest aren't; and because the testing is so difficult. As we've told our community throughout this two and a half year process, it's not a panacea," said Weyland.

The News On 6 spoke with several Bishop Kelley parents on Monday and everyone seemed to be in favor of the new policy. The Psychemedics drug test doesn't just require a strand or two of your hair; it's a snippet about the size of the end of this shoe lace.
Posts from other site

Terre Haute, IN

#8 Feb 5, 2008
DDD55
Tulsa, OK Reply »
|Report Abuse |#9 5 hrs ago
What a waste of time and money. I know drugs are bad but what does this prove? If some kid was caught he/she is now exposed to everyone and is now an outcast. Think of the damaged self esteem ect... this could cause??? They should test for any school sports or programs only. To have ALL tested is taking away our freedom to choose whether good or bad. It's just wrong! This is a PARENT problem, not the schools responsibility. Spend money on metal detectors and security if anything. That kid you exspelled and now exposed to their community about his/her private matters??? That's how violence starts in the schools and you may seriuosly regret what you have done.
Posts from other site

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Feb 5, 2008
Bishop Kelley
Nashotah, WI Reply »
|Report Abuse |#11 5 hrs ago
QUOTE:
"So, all of Bishop Kelley's 870 students will be tested for drugs starting in the fall of 2008."

Where is the probable cause?

|Report Abuse |#14 4 hrs ago
Forced DNA taking is what it is about..
HumanSpirit
Alachua, FL Reply »
|Report Abuse |#15 4 hrs ago
Vernonia School District v. Acton

Supreme Court

http://www.oyez.org/cases/1990-1999/1994/1994 ...
Posts from other site

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Feb 5, 2008
Mark
Tulsa, OK Reply »
|Report Abuse |#17 4 hrs ago

First of all, this is a private school so government has nothing to do with it....

It is a private school that parents choose to send their kids to, they can do what they want. I don't agree with public schools doing it though.

|Report Abuse |#18 1 hr ago

What part of freedom do the officials not understand? This is the united states of america, not Iraq, the drug users will just shave, wait until someone sues the school board and wins for violation of their AMERICAN RIGHTS and wins, a school can be shut down too. I dont do drug never have and smart enough not to start, but this is just teaching the students to give up their rights before they get out into the world, ive been out of school for almost 30 years, there was a man who wanted you to give up your right many years ago , his name was Hitler thats all i have to say

|Report Abuse |#19 1 hr ago

This has just forced my children to ELECT NOT to participate in sports.....

They are good kids who are on the straight and narrow....This has given them a sence that their word doesn't matter and are not even given a choice to make a correct one...

Give the CHOICE back to the Kids...to choose to do right....not have rightousness shoved down their throat

This is the beginning of other "choices" to do right being taken away.

Ya! as stated above: the new world order....

Take choice away from the people so pretty soon they don't know how to make a right choice at all.

Put the choice into the govenmental authority's hands....does this sound familiar?

IT'S called the communistic holocaust!
Posts from other site

Terre Haute, IN

#11 Feb 5, 2008
Turn our kids over
Nashotah, WI Reply »
|Report Abuse |#20 1 hr ago

After reading the case file referenced above I am just discussed at our govenment to even violate and misinterpate a clear 4th amendmandment right.

Where do I begin?

Quote:
Question:
Does random drug testing of high school athletes violate the reasonable search and seizure clause of the Fourth Amendment?

Conclusion:
No. The reasonableness of a search is judged by "balancing the intrusion on the individual's Fourth Amendment interests against the promotion of legitimate governmental interests." In the case of high school athletes who are under State supervision during school hours, they are subject to greater control than over free adults. The privacy interests compromised by urine samples are negligible since the conditions of collection are similar to public restrooms, and the results are viewed only by limited authorities. Furthermore, the governmental concern over the safety of minors under their supervision overrides the minimal, if any, intrusion in student-athletes' privacy.

"balancing the intrusion on the individual's Fourth Amendment interests against the promotion of legitimate governmental interests." Who ever ruled that urine testing was a promotion of govenment interests? It has no legitamate foundation

"Furthermore, the governmental concern over the safety of minors under their supervision overrides the minimal, if any, intrusion in student-athletes' privacy." Since when is our privacy minimal.....? Why not just turn our kids over to the school at age 5 and then get them back at age 18. Obviously the govenment doesn't think parents can supervise their kids as good as they can...

"and the results are viewed only by limited authorities." Ya...the authorities that use the info for DNA databases...

The statements above by the Supreme Court Justices just make me SICK to be living in the US.
Posts from other site

Terre Haute, IN

#12 Feb 5, 2008
Fingerprints
Nashotah, WI Reply »
|Report Abuse |#21 1 hr ago

I remember my children comming home from grade school with a notice of the police departments intent to fingerprint my children....and keep it for their records

They made the arguement that it was "just in case" my children were ever abducted and also wanted a strand of hair....

I could see between the lines even then

Apparently that ploy didn't work so now they have concocked a new sceeme to collect the "New World Order" DNA

Still against it!

|Report Abuse |#22 1 hr ago

"The privacy interests compromised by urine samples are negligible since the conditions of collection are similar to public restrooms,..."

So does this mean that if you don't pee in a public place (School restrooms) you don't have to subject yourself to random drug testing?

And this was a Supreme court justice that stated this!!! How stupid is that statement!!!

|Report Abuse |#23 23 min ago

When I was in High School it was the "Druggies" and the "Jocks"

The Jocks didn't do drugs (but they drank) and the Druggies didn't do Sports (rarely did the druggies drink)

What does drug testing prove? the ones who do take drugs don't do sports and the ones who do sports don't do drugs....

Doesn't make sense!!!

I agree...Mandatory DNA database
Posts from other site

Terre Haute, IN

#13 Feb 5, 2008
Another site
Nashotah, WI Reply »
|Report Abuse |#6 5 hrs ago

News on 6 Tulsa

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp ...
Michelle PA

Lebanon, PA

#14 Feb 19, 2009
I think if the athelete is doing drugs he or she should be kicked of the team and that will change there habits
Anonymous

Green Bay, WI

#15 Apr 28, 2009
We do not need your son. How really how do you know 100% that he has never touched any drugs or alcohol? huh? Exactly!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sullivan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oconomowoc Police Department (Jan '09) Sep '16 Brusskyle389 19
Jonesboro Arkansas Topix forum Aug '16 Guest 1
News Man faces 12 counts of contempt of court after ... (Jul '13) Aug '16 WCTCStudent101 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Wisconsin ... (Oct '10) Dec '11 NotaproductofTexas 7
News Four to trial in Sullivan burglary (May '11) Jul '11 Here 2
Debate: Marijuana - Sullivan, WI (Sep '10) Mar '11 DIXIE 6
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Wisconsi... (Oct '10) Nov '10 LD Rockwell 5

Sullivan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sullivan Mortgages