State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

By the way, both of my parents were Republicans who loved Ike, and to this day I have a great admiration for him. There were no other Republicans in our neighborhood that I recall. Things changed after the Civil Rights legislation was signed, and more southern democrats switched to Republican with Strom Thurmond as the lead dog, and my parents switched to Democrat, who really became the party of civil rights with Lyndon Johnson. Nixon put the icing on the cake. That is when the deal was finalized.
Waco 9999

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Judged:

TSF wrote:
Most of the South used to be what were referred to as Dixicrats. That changed when Kennedy pushed desegregation in the 60's . The Dixiecrats started voting republican out of resentment to federal intervention . To this day, they continue voting against their own self interests, not out of hatred of blacks, but out of hatred for Yankees. This is because "federals" are synonymous with Yankees in the minds of most rednecks, crackers, clod hoppers, cow pokes , lint heads , hillbillies etc.. I think many Northerners today are astounded by how such vehement Southern animosity can transcend so many generations. I am not sure anyone understands it completely. I just know it is there. So do the republican tax breaks for the rich crowd and they sure take advantage of it by getting the pea brains to vote against themselves.
<quoted text>
Please stop it TSF. My God, I've lived all over America, the South is no worse than the North.
There's no real hatred for Yankees in Texas, except for some isolated nuts.
Half the state is Yankees who came here looking for a better life.
We kid our Yankees, but the Civil War is long gone, man. All these names you use, just drives us all further apart.
Behind every"redneck"or "clodhopper" is a human being trying to support a family.
A real person, with real problems.
It's not as simple as you try and paint it, man.

Behind every"redneck,
Waco 9999

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Judged:

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing will go back to the way it was. No more FDR;s, no more JFK's. Handing out birth control by nuns does not compare to the obstruction that the Republican Congress has oppossed just for the sake of opposition particularly in the area of job growth and Obamacare. You know that Obama, being the First black Presidents, has been hurled more unnecessay racial indignities than anyone could ever imagine, and by some, is hated just for the reason being that he is black. The ones who hurl these insults are people in the Republican party. You know the ones I said are into God, guns, gays and abortion. To them, Obama's first name is "N". I about got into a fight in Walmart several months ago when one of these guys called him a "N". I just told him, "if you don't like Obama that is OK, but you don't have to throw around an ugly racial word about him". He threatened me. It was getting louder and the manager stepped in. Glad he did. I could have lost my job over that. Every Republican is not this way, but there is still a lot of hidden resentment and fear that "they are taking over", and we know that fear exists. Tell me. What people got forced out of their jobs for donations?
. What person just got forced out of his job for having an opinion about marriage, at least an opinion he had eight years ago? Didn't the guy make a donation eight years ago, only to be forced to resign because of it?
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Waco 9999 wrote:
<quoted text>. The guy has defended Obama a hundred times on his show.
You have to remember O'Reilly isn't that conservative.
You wouldn't believe the names the real conservatives have called the guy.
He said there was no proof that Obama knew anything about Benghazi, and I thought the guy he was talking to was going to stroke out, he got so mad.
Like all of us he's flawed.
I was shocked to discover that he was not a knee-jerk conservative.
The liberal guy there on"The Five", Bob Beckel, is great! Always fighting, but the guy has such class! He reminds me that there are real, live people behind the names"liberal"and "conservative".
O'Reilly likes to hear O'Reilly talk. He is arrogant and thinks that anyone who disagrees with him view is a dumb ass. I want to see him and Bill Maher go at it, but I don't think O'Reilly thinks he could handle him because Maher is so off the wall, and good at it. I like Beckel. A man surrounded by beautiful women and can keep his focus on the subject has to be good at what he does. 4 against 1. That's pretty stacked. He is a recovering alcoholic and comes straight out with it. I admire that.
Waco 9999

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Judged:

TSF let the anger be replaced by determination.
We'll all be the better for it, man.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

TSF wrote:
Most of the South used to be what were referred to as Dixicrats. That changed when Kennedy pushed desegregation in the 60's . The Dixiecrats started voting republican out of resentment to federal intervention . To this day, they continue voting against their own self interests, not out of hatred of blacks, but out of hatred for Yankees. This is because "federals" are synonymous with Yankees in the minds of most rednecks, crackers, clod hoppers, cow pokes , lint heads , hillbillies etc.. I think many Northerners today are astounded by how such vehement Southern animosity can transcend so many generations. I am not sure anyone understands it completely. I just know it is there. So do the republican tax breaks for the rich crowd and they sure take advantage of it by getting the pea brains to vote against themselves.
<quoted text>
I think it is the same way with the word "Union". I carries a northern connotation dating back to The Civil War. If you called unions the" Good Ole Boy Confederate Work Alliance "everybody and his brother would sign up.
Waco 9999

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Judged:

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
O'Reilly likes to hear O'Reilly talk. He is arrogant and thin. that anyone who disagrees with him view is a dumb ass. I want to see him and Bill Maher go at it, but I don't think O'Reilly thinks he could handle him because Maher is so off the wall, and good at it. I like Beckel. A man surrounded by beautiful women and can keep his focus on the subject has to be good at what he does. 4 against 1. That's pretty stacked. He is a recovering alcoholic and comes straight out with it. I admire that.
I like Maher and O'Reilly. They honestly believe what they say.
Beckel to me represents the Americans who strive to overcome, but refuse to take refuge in bitterness.
Waco 9999

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Judged:

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is the same way with the word "Union". I carries a northern connotation dating back to The Civil War. If you called unions the" Good Ole Boy Confederate Work Alliance "everybody and his brother would sign up.
. Could be. Then again, the"union"in USSR could have turned off a few.
Waco 9999

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Judged:

Three of the finest people I've ever known were from Texas, New Jersey, and North Carolina..
I would die for all of them.
Waco 9999

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Judged:

Too much introspection can be a bad thing.
I'm slightly depressed, time to crash.
You guys hang in there.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

TSF wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe so, but losing the domination over the lives of black people was a huge factor in the south because they knew no other way to live. The Rosa Parks incident was a huge statement about the intent of black people to remain with their struggle despite the hardships, but the country became galvanized for civil rights when the church in Birmingham was bombed and 4 little innocent girls died, and when the fire hoses and police dogs were turned on black children that was televised.. The bridge at Selma was the final cap on getting the support of the nation for civil rights with all the bloody heads at the hands of the George Wallace brutality brigade. Things turned quickly
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

I try not to use the word "Yankees" in a derogatory way. I'm a Yankees fan and also love The Dodgers. Strange mix.
hole in the wall

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Freedom from goverment rule thats all I want.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Now this was a very productive and meaningful dialogue. I really enjoyed it.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

hole in the wall wrote:
Freedom from goverment rule thats all I want.
In what areas do you feel they are they too instusive to you?
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

intrusive.(sp)
Red Square

Mills River, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Can you imagine the wingnut meltdown if 9/11 had occurred on Obama's watch? Total.

Of course the south used to be solidly Democratic back in the day when segregation still ruled. The Dixiecrats date back to at least Truman when they broke away from the Democratic party and ran on their own ticket.
Things only got worse when northern Democrats started to push civil rights. LBJ knew very well that the Democrats would lose a large number of southern voters for a very long time.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

Red Square wrote:
Can you imagine the wingnut meltdown if 9/11 had occurred on Obama's watch? Total.
Of course the south used to be solidly Democratic back in the day when segregation still ruled. The Dixiecrats date back to at least Truman when they broke away from the Democratic party and ran on their own ticket.
Things only got worse when northern Democrats started to push civil rights. LBJ knew very well that the Democrats would lose a large number of southern voters for a very long time.
Yes, Truman integrating the armed forces in 1948 pissed off the southern Democrats.Civil rights signed by Johnson solidified the Republican takeover deal in the south. If 9/11 would have happened on Obama's watch, the Obama "Muslim connection" would have resulted in many assassination attemps for sure. Where would Fox ratings have gone? Damn, I can hear Dumbass Hannity now!
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

O'Reilly would be armed at his next Obama Super Bowl interview with John Wilkes Booth on his brain and Pat Robertson would be calling for the divine slaughter of all Muslim Americans in a biblical manner.. Reverse Jihad would be the theme of the day.
Victoria

Sparta, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2014

Some really great news.....let's hope it's true.

MSNBC/Rolling Stone: Obama to Say NO to Keystone XL Pipeline

".....two high-level sources in the Obama administration told me recently that the president has all but decided to deny the permit for the pipeline – a dramatic move that would light up Democratic voters and donors while further provoking the wrath of Big Oil. Finally, Obama is positioning the U.S. to play a key role in negotiations on a new global-climate treaty that will begin next year, establishing American leadership on climate issues and giving him one last chance to lead the world to a cooler future before he leaves the Oval Office…"

Take that, greedy Koch brothers!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sugar Grove Discussions

Search the Sugar Grove Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bark Mobile (Sep '11) May '14 smile 6
Simple Blessings Bowtique Feb '14 Amanda Musselwhite 1
Banner ELk Exxon (Nov '09) Feb '14 lolz 22
heard of the diensts?? (Jan '14) Jan '14 JUSTWANTINGTOKNOW 1
jonothan b. glass half full kind of guy (Nov '13) Dec '13 queeker 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Sugar Grove, NC (Jan '12) Dec '13 Patrick Shethouse 9
Zionville man charged with break-ins while on p... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Bob 1
•••
•••