New Sugar Grove library gets an A+

New Sugar Grove library gets an A+

There are 6 comments on the Elburn Herald story from Aug 14, 2009, titled New Sugar Grove library gets an A+. In it, Elburn Herald reports that:

The Kramps, who live in unincorporated Kane County west of Montgomery, were among the 1,243 visitors to the new library's grand opening on Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Elburn Herald.

Sugargrove60554_ com

Wheaton, IL

#1 Aug 17, 2009
The building is magnificent.
ziggy

Angola, IN

#2 Aug 18, 2009
To bad it is closed more than it's open. If they would have been up front about needing the additional funds to staff it properly (before they built the building) maybe the other referendum would have passed.
Who knows when the cash strapped taxpayers may pass a tax hike again?

It is a beautiful edifice, you are correct. But for a village with a population of 8800 doesn't it seem a little over the top?
Beverly Holmes Hughes

Carol Stream, IL

#3 Aug 18, 2009
ziggy wrote:
To bad it is closed more than it's open. If they would have been up front about needing the additional funds to staff it properly (before they built the building) maybe the other referendum would have passed.
Who knows when the cash strapped taxpayers may pass a tax hike again?
It is a beautiful edifice, you are correct. But for a village with a population of 8800 doesn't it seem a little over the top?
The hours of operation are as many hours as we can afford to be open, on the operating budget available to us.

In 2004, when the Building bond question was asked, the voters were also also asked to approve a rate of $0.25 for building operations. It was never a surprise or secret that a larger facility would require addition funds to operate. That question was defeated.

The Library District serves a population of 15,476, in a geography which is larger than the corporate limits of the Village of Sugar Grove.
ziggy

Angola, IN

#4 Aug 18, 2009
Beverly Holmes Hughes wrote:
<quoted text>
The hours of operation are as many hours as we can afford to be open, on the operating budget available to us.
In 2004, when the Building bond question was asked, the voters were also also asked to approve a rate of $0.25 for building operations. It was never a surprise or secret that a larger facility would require addition funds to operate. That question was defeated.
The Library District serves a population of 15,476, in a geography which is larger than the corporate limits of the Village of Sugar Grove.
So, why build a library knowing you can't staff it properly?
Isn't it kind of slight of hand to build it when you know you can't staff it?
And that building would support a population the size of Yorkville or Oswego you would think.
Why it has only one level of use in a building that appears three stories tall is also amazing. One would have thought that better use could have been made of the massive open ceiling spaces.
Art Morrical

Naperville, IL

#5 Jan 31, 2010
ziggy wrote:
<quoted text>

Why it has only one level of use in a building that appears three stories tall is also amazing. One would have thought that better use could have been made of the massive open ceiling spaces.
The Sugar Grove Library has a second story that houses all the mechanical for the building (in the back) and there is a sound reason for everything in the building to be as green as possible. Take a look at these videos:


http://www.youtube.com/watch...
lenny

Angola, IN

#6 Jan 31, 2010
Typical government project going way beyond the needs of a village this size library needs.

It's nice, but why shouldn't it be for it's cost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sugar Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Aurora (Feb '15) Jul 10 kimmaloney14 59
News Many village officials side with chickens, few ... Jul 9 Pixie dust 1
News East Aurora High school on alert after student'... (Feb '08) Jul 7 Dan 16
Is Oswego a good place to live? (Jan '12) Jul 4 John Caliendo Pla... 31
News NIUa s Baker getting a golden parachutea Jun '17 Metaz 1
News DeKalb church will display Black Lives Matter b... Jun '17 Metaz 1
News Looking back on Doug Baker's successes and fail... Jun '17 Metaz 1

Sugar Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sugar Grove Mortgages