Officials not spending sales tax for ...

Officials not spending sales tax for what was voted on!!

Posted in the Sugar Grove Forum

melody

Sugar Grove, IL

#1 Mar 9, 2009
Whats with the village board approving a special sales tax assessment to help fund a very specific project that never even came close to fruition, and then instead of rescinding the tax they simply change their minds and spend it on something completely different?
Dont you think this is just more governmental slight of hand?
What is that extension of Galena Blvd. suppose to gain? I suppose we have hundreds of tax paying businesses just lined up waiting to build on that stretch of road.
Wake up, we are in a serious recession, why waste the taxpayers dollars on roads to nowhere?
sammy

Sugar Grove, IL

#2 Mar 9, 2009
I believe you do call that "a road to nowhere".
Well put. A darn shame the way politicians can just change their minds about a tax usage.
What a sad joke on all of us.
terry

Sugar Grove, IL

#3 Mar 9, 2009
I hope you folks dont think this is unique around here.
This is sadly par for the Sugar Grove course so to speak.

A formerly nice little village that has been taken over by people that think Naperville is nervana.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.
slim

Sugar Grove, IL

#4 Mar 10, 2009
Spend, spend, spend .
Easy to do when all you have to do is raise taxes for one thing then just spend it on whatever you want.
Really good government or is it just more of the same old crap??
shrimp

Sugar Grove, IL

#5 Mar 11, 2009
When did it become important that politicians tell the truth??
Patti

Angola, IN

#6 Mar 27, 2009
The special tax assessment should have been removed. PLEASE VOTE. Removing the current office holders is the only way to send a message.
ENOUGH ALREADY!
shrimp

Sugar Grove, IL

#7 Mar 29, 2009
Patti wrote:
The special tax assessment should have been removed. PLEASE VOTE. Removing the current office holders is the only way to send a message.
ENOUGH ALREADY!
Of course you are right.
It is past time for new ideas and honesty.
Sweep all the old blood out, you see what they have gotten us.
How are your property taxes looking?
Not so good I'll bet.
wowww

Sugar Grove, IL

#8 Apr 2, 2009
Nothing new about politicians lying.
Move on.
Nobody in Sugar Grove cares, they keep electing the same people over and over.

Since: Apr 09

Downers Grove, IL

#9 Apr 17, 2009
To wowwww Shrimp and Patty,

Nobody in Sugar Grove ever votes. With a 25% turnout last election what do you expect? Is complaining on a website going to do anything about it?

If you really believe in what you are posting stand behind your comments and say who you are and vote. All you are here is a screen name and no credibility

There are those of us that do care and dont want to see Sugar Grove turn into every other cookie cutter suburb around us. With economic down turn and the added bonus that its very hard to put a business in Sugar Grove has actually helped us. Look at all the sub-par construction in Yorkville and Plano and the poor planning. I am happy that growth has come so slow to Sugar Grove. I am proud to say that we are the only town without a McDonalds and a Walgreens.

The Galena road extension might pay off in a few years but with the abundance of vacant commercial space we have now I do not think its realy going to make much of a difference in the near future.

As far as the 1% tax who cares its a small amount of money that didnt come from our basic needs such as food.

Melody and Sammy are the only comments on this discussion that seem to be thought out.
Leslie

Sugar Grove, IL

#10 Apr 22, 2009
sugargrove60554 wrote:
To wowwww Shrimp and Patty,
Nobody in Sugar Grove ever votes. With a 25% turnout last election what do you expect? Is complaining on a website going to do anything about it?
If you really believe in what you are posting stand behind your comments and say who you are and vote. All you are here is a screen name and no credibility
There are those of us that do care and dont want to see Sugar Grove turn into every other cookie cutter suburb around us. With economic down turn and the added bonus that its very hard to put a business in Sugar Grove has actually helped us. Look at all the sub-par construction in Yorkville and Plano and the poor planning. I am happy that growth has come so slow to Sugar Grove. I am proud to say that we are the only town without a McDonalds and a Walgreens.
The Galena road extension might pay off in a few years but with the abundance of vacant commercial space we have now I do not think its realy going to make much of a difference in the near future.
As far as the 1% tax who cares its a small amount of money that didnt come from our basic needs such as food.
Melody and Sammy are the only comments on this discussion that seem to be thought out.
It is great to see you dont care about your taxes being raised and then spent on something other than what you apparently voted for.
You must be better off then others in the community that take taxes seriously, especially in these bad economic times.
I do vote.
I voted NO on the tax increase.
And I will always vote no on tax increase, because these guys will always figure out a way to get the money they "need" without me voting for a tax increase.
Gee, I wonder if my property tax bill will go down now that my house is worth 25% to 35% less???
Oh yeah thats gonna happen..,,,,,
Bullshi*.
Cut off the gravy for these wasteful liars.

Since: Apr 09

Western Springs, IL

#11 Apr 24, 2009
I never said I dont care how my tax dollars are spent. I cant get all riled up oversomething like the 1% sales tax that very little of my money went to. Since they dont tax groceries I doubt I paid anything into it.

I will say that I am not totally happy with the way things are run. I vote too and am very disappointed at the low turnouts. Of course your tax bill isn't going to go down we still have to pay for the schools and every other item on our tax bill. Going through it line by line the only significant item is the part for the schools. I voted for the new school to be built so I have nothing to complain about. I only paid $68 to the library district so bfd.

You can take yor tax bill to the assessors office for review but I really dont think that ever works. I am guess you bought new construction and if thats the case yeah, you got hosed by the builders. I can understand your frustrations but its not the villages fault. You chose to live here. i suggest you go through your tax bill ine by line. If you live in the fancy part of town (any developemnt with a cute name) Yeah you are payng alot. Thanks George W for the last 8 years and Ronald Reagon for the last 30.

I am not better off then most in this town, I live south of the Mason Dixon line (Route 56) and struggle to pay my bills. I learned a long time ago to live within my means.I drive a 95 blazer, Paid for, I dont have fancy clothes or toys. If I cant pay cash I dont buy it. I would never take out an equity loan.

I would never buy new construction In my line of work I watched for 20 years house prices go insane and construction quality go down and knew that it would all come crashing down some day. It did in colorado 10 years ago. The problem is people dont watch whats going on around them. I grew up in Detroit in the late 60's and 70's I guess it was my version of growing up in the depression.

I am glad that you do vote. I cant take anyone seriously that doesnt vote.

All these well to do's that are freaking out over the stock markets and house prices cant figure out how to live on less income. Most of us are used to being poor we have had practice for years. I cant feel for people that gambled on over priced homes for the sake of vanity and keeping up with the Jones's. There were a lot of great deals when I moved here 16 years ago to get away from the Naperville mentalilty. It has all seemed to follow me out here however.

I dont know what you situation is and I am not assuming anything about you but your post comes across as angry.

Maybe you should have run for office. We need some pissed off people on board to shake things up. Id vote for you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sugar Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alice's Place in Elburn: 6 photos 21 hr really? 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Aurora (Feb '15) Jul 10 kimmaloney14 59
News Many village officials side with chickens, few ... Jul 9 Pixie dust 1
News East Aurora High school on alert after student'... (Feb '08) Jul 7 Dan 16
Is Oswego a good place to live? (Jan '12) Jul 4 John Caliendo Pla... 31
News NIUa s Baker getting a golden parachutea Jun '17 Metaz 1
News DeKalb church will display Black Lives Matter b... Jun '17 Metaz 1

Sugar Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance