Fake firefighter tries to battle blaze

Fake firefighter tries to battle blaze

There are 9 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 16, 2009, titled Fake firefighter tries to battle blaze. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Police arrested a man for impersonating a New York City firefighter after he tried to help battle a warehouse blaze in the suburbs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Jeremy Bender

Jenison, MI

#1 Mar 16, 2009
Woops! Is that against the law?
Beam-James Beam

United States

#2 Mar 16, 2009
I can see them not wanting "helpers" due to liability,but arresting the guy?That seems a little extreme.Maybe some psych help (he did have his own gear with his name on it).
BudtheFireman

Southfield, MI

#3 Mar 16, 2009
Jeremy Bender wrote:
Woops! Is that against the law?
I think it's illegal to hinder firefighters but I don't think it's illegal to impersonate one.

Sounds like a good way to get hurt.

“Knowledge is Power”

Since: Feb 08

Pond Creek, Oklahoma

#4 Mar 16, 2009
Ya, I think they should sign him up! Why arrest a guy trying to help. Maybe he needs psychiatric help but, he obviously wants to fight fires for a living.

“No time like the present”

Since: Jul 08

to make it happen!

#5 Mar 16, 2009
Jeremy Hoar wrote:
Ya, I think they should sign him up! Why arrest a guy trying to help. Maybe he needs psychiatric help but, he obviously wants to fight fires for a living.
Maybe he was using fake water?
TheMadHatter

Villa Park, CA

#6 Mar 16, 2009
This guy was caught a couple years back for impersonating a surgeon. He was in the proper attire, and he was stopped at the last minute from making the first cut by the guy who hired him. It appears that he had never worked as a tree surgeon before, and could have caused some major damage on the ponderosa pine he was poised to trim.

“Out in the West Texas”

Since: Mar 08

town of El Paso

#7 Mar 16, 2009
BudtheFireman wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's illegal to hinder firefighters but I don't think it's illegal to impersonate one.
Sounds like a good way to get hurt.
Yeah, it's actually illegal in New York. A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree when he/she "pretends to be a public servant, or wears or displays without authority any uniform, badge, insignia or facsimile thereof by which such public servant is lawfully distinguished, or falsely expresses by his words or actions that he is a public servant or is acting with approval or authority of a public agency or department; and (b) so acts with intent to induce another to submit to such pretended official authority, to solicit funds or to otherwise cause another to act in reliance upon that pretense."

Criminal impersonation in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.

“Out in the West Texas”

Since: Mar 08

town of El Paso

#8 Mar 16, 2009
Dr_Dirty wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he was using fake water?
I don't wanna know what he was using for a firehose.

“No time like the present”

Since: Jul 08

to make it happen!

#9 Mar 16, 2009
William Pena wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't wanna know what he was using for a firehose.
More importantly perhaps, is how he was using it to water down the third floor...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffern Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stony Point Teacher arrest Apr 21 BIG MIKE 2
News The Center for Jewish History Announces January... Apr 20 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 2
the red rail (Nov '08) Mar 31 Bojangle 35
make it to mothers (Jul '10) Nov '16 Gerard and Cathie 141
News Ex-NFL running back John Harvey admits raping 1... (Jul '08) Nov '16 Eric Miller 17
ANP Transcriptions in Suffern -- non-payment pr... (Oct '09) May '16 Anpdud 58
News Megalith plans 150-unit Dumbo rental - " with p... (Feb '14) Apr '16 aadrivers 10

Suffern Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Suffern Mortgages