make it to mothers
Yogi

New York, NY

#107 Aug 2, 2014
I was happy to hang out at Mother's on the weekends, and still remember Billy of the Orphans handing me the cowbell to play on a few songs!
One night something happened to the light guy so they asked me to fill in even though I had never done that before. The bass player who's name escapes me now kept looking up at the lights with a strange expression on his face, as if to say "What the hell is going on?!" :)
Another night the keyboard player left the premises after a disagreement and would not come back from the hotel, so they sent me out to get him.
I did everything I could possibly do to get him to come back to the club, but he would not budge and went home. The keyboard player from the other room's group agreed to fill in, but he did not know the Orphan's cover songs that well, so the sound was not that great. Needless to say, Billy was not happy.:(
My girlfriend and I were decent dancers, so we one a dance contest one night which was pretty cool. But one night this beautiful girl made a bit of trouble for me by dancing with me very sexually while my girlfriend looked on with daggers in her eyes! And yes, I wonder myself how we made it all the way back into New Jersey in one piece after all those wild weekends.
Moose

Dana Point, CA

#108 Aug 14, 2014
Ahhhh, memories of Mothers. I went there a lot when I was in high school and then occasionally in college. There was a great band that played there that also played our fraternity parties a few times, Mother Duck. A group of guys from Rutgers Law if I remember correctly. They did an amazing "Them Changes" among other things.
Doubt it was the same Robin, but a gorgeous girl named Robin dated my fraternity brother Fred, and I ran into her at Mothers one night when Mother Duck was there. She greeted me with the most insane kiss from an "acquaintence" ever, and invited me to her car to ...partake. Unfortunately I was well into a stash of my own and a wee bit too out of it to take her up on it. One of my big regrets of the 70s!!
John Zimmer

Glassboro, NJ

#109 Sep 21, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>. What were some of the songs you played. Taking a walk down memory lane
The fire at Mother's in Greenwood Lake was the night before Thanksgiving 1972; my band "Dead Brandy Dog" was the house band at the time, we had been switched to open the NJ Club on Rte.23 and played there for about a month when we were asked to go back to the Greenwood Lake club for Thanksgiving weekend. Lucky for us, our drummer, Alan was put in the hospital with pneumonia and we had to cancel at the last minute. Rumor has it that the fire was planned and they wanted to put us out of business over an argument between one of the band members and one of the owners at Mother's over "dating"one of the barmaids.... if you catch my drift !!!!
John Z

Glassboro, NJ

#110 Sep 21, 2014
Pete wrote:
To John Z. When I played with the Soul Set in the late 60's at a battle of the bands in Passaic NJ, we came in 2nd to a group called The Fillet of Soul and won ..a microphone haha. Wonder if it's the same F of S band you mentioned ? Wish I had some tape recordings of the band days just for fun.
The original "Filet of Soul" I believe were from Ramsey, NJ. The Best band by far that I saw in Greenwood Lake or any club for that matter;, was "Mother, Flag & Country" originally from Albany, NY. Those guys were AMAZING singers and players but they never "made it" because they had no original material.
pete

Clementon, NJ

#111 Sep 22, 2014
John Z wrote:
<quoted text>
The original "Filet of Soul" I believe were from Ramsey, NJ. The Best band by far that I saw in Greenwood Lake or any club for that matter;, was "Mother, Flag & Country" originally from Albany, NY. Those guys were AMAZING singers and players but they never "made it" because they had no original material.
Thanks John Z. for your reply. Funny ,,,I just happened to check this site out after a long time since doing so and there's your Sept 21 post. Not thinking it is the same Filet of Soul since I always thought they were from my area...but it is possible they were from Ramsey and Albany..May never know...They were good I know that much. A 'soul' music evening..We had the horns and a 9 piece black and white band We were ages 16 to 18 .....Later the hair and music 'expanded' and got into The Youngsters..later changed to Vintage...did the lake clubs for a while..70..71 72...A few of the band continued in music and are doing well today. I left all behind and now play 'couch' guitar lol.
Lindalella

Livingston, NJ

#112 Dec 18, 2014
Neysa aka SuPeRsTaR wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you the Billy that was in the fabulous "Orphans" ? If this is the same Billy, you let me play my tambourine on your stage in Brooklyn at the Wooden Nickel for 2 weeks. You also let "Johnny Angel" get on stage and dance with me. I have pictures of that.
I think I know Billy too. Wasn't he Hawaiian or Asian? Please may I see a pic ? Have been looking for him forever. Thanks!
lindalella

Livingston, NJ

#113 Dec 18, 2014
Yogi wrote:
I was happy to hang out at Mother's on the weekends, and still remember Billy of the Orphans handing me the cowbell to play on a few songs!
One night something happened to the light guy so they asked me to fill in even though I had never done that before. The bass player who's name escapes me now kept looking up at the lights with a strange expression on his face, as if to say "What the hell is going on?!" :)
Another night the keyboard player left the premises after a disagreement and would not come back from the hotel, so they sent me out to get him.
I did everything I could possibly do to get him to come back to the club, but he would not budge and went home. The keyboard player from the other room's group agreed to fill in, but he did not know the Orphan's cover songs that well, so the sound was not that great. Needless to say, Billy was not happy.:(
My girlfriend and I were decent dancers, so we one a dance contest one night which was pretty cool. But one night this beautiful girl made a bit of trouble for me by dancing with me very sexually while my girlfriend looked on with daggers in her eyes! And yes, I wonder myself how we made it all the way back into New Jersey in one piece after all those wild weekends.
Do you have any pics of billy. I think I remember him too
Rich Lew

San Diego, CA

#114 Dec 19, 2014
Anyone from Newark N.J. that went to Mothers please let me know if u know a girl I dated that worked at the courthouse,drove a grey Pontiac,her name was Sue,i have been looking for her for 40 years, I also have pictures of Mothers outside and inside sent to me from one of the owner,s sons,if anyone wants to see them,Sue was the most wonderfull girlfriend till I screwed it up,we met in the lower room at Mothers,god I need to know how she is,my big mistake leaving her.
Neysa aka SuPeRsTaR

Staten Island, NY

#115 Dec 29, 2014
lindalella wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any pics of billy. I think I remember him too
Yes, I have a pic of me and The Orphans when they played Brooklyn. I will look for the pic and try to scan and send it to you.
lindalella

Wayne, NJ

#116 Dec 30, 2014
<quoted text>Yes, I have a pic of me and The Orphans when they played Brooklyn. I will look for the pic and try to scan and send it to you.
Thank you so much!!! Have been looking forever for this band.

Since: Jan 15

Location hidden

#117 Jan 11, 2015
Sure I remember Monzuka. Good band. Mothers was especially great because there were TWO bands- one on each side of the club.
jake6

Salt Lake City, UT

#118 Feb 28, 2015
Al G wrote:
<quoted text>
Long Pond, oh yeah! I remember the girls dancing right on the bar, also remeber the stiff neck from looking up! LOL!
I was one of the girls (now an old lady) dancing on the bar 1964.
lindalella

Berkeley Heights, NJ

#119 Mar 1, 2015
lindalella wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you so much!!! Have been looking forever for this band.
Still waiting!! Lol
Linda Lella

West Orange, NJ

#120 Mar 8, 2015
<quoted text>Yes, I have a pic of me and The Orphans when they played Brooklyn. I will look for the pic and try to scan and send it to you.
Please let me see pic! This is driving me crazy !!!
mike

Cornwall, NY

#121 Mar 8, 2015
how about those in NJ who went to the Hofbrau House in Statn Island because could not drink in NJ
Rich Lew

Los Angeles, CA

#122 Mar 8, 2015
I have a facebook group mothers greenwood lake ny with pics of mothers,feel free to join!
Neysa aka SuPeRsTaR

Staten Island, NY

#123 Mar 8, 2015
Linda Lella wrote:
<quoted text>
I found the pic. This week I will try to have someone scan and send it to you. I did not forget you !
Neysa aka SuPeRsTaR

Staten Island, NY

#124 Mar 8, 2015
Linda Lella wrote:
<quoted text>
I just realized that I would need your email to scan and send the pic.
dan wardrope

Cedar Grove, NJ

#127 Mar 16, 2015
Cousin Linda wrote:
Hi everyone.. I was a dancer at almost all of the clubs in Greenwood Lake.. but Mother's was the one I worked at the most...
I also worked at The Sterling, The Silver Fox and Le Pussycat...
Bobby Gleason nicknamed me "Cousin Linda"
in Le PussyCat one night.
Does anyone remember the "Orange Inn" Hans opened his house for a place to party, for all of us that worked in Greenwood Lake...it was right up behind Le Pussycat...
and Coca Cola Louis cafe in town..Lou Caddy making us all laugh...
Man the fun we had back then....
I remember it well and the girls that played at the Pussycat the 4 roses
Linda Lella

Paterson, NJ

#128 Mar 17, 2015
Rich Lew wrote:
I have a facebook group mothers greenwood lake ny with pics of mothers,feel free to join!
Can't seem to find yur Facebook group under that name. I am dying to see pics of Orphans

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffern Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fire destroys apartment above Greenwood Lake ea... (Mar '12) Nov '17 anonymous 5
Township salaries (May '17) Jul '17 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 2
News Another Suit from East Ramapo Parents (Jan '16) Jul '17 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 3
Stony Point Teacher arrest (Mar '17) Apr '17 BIG MIKE 2
News The Center for Jewish History Announces January... (Dec '16) Apr '17 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 2
the red rail (Nov '08) Mar '17 Bojangle 35
News Ex-NFL running back John Harvey admits raping 1... (Jul '08) Nov '16 Eric Miller 17

Suffern Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Suffern Mortgages