where has the english language gone?

where has the english language gone?

Posted in the Sublette Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#1 Oct 1, 2007
lately when I go into local business, I hear more employees speaking spanish than english. The other day I asked a sales person to help me and she could not because she did not speak English. I am not prejudiced but this is American and English is what I want to hear when I go into a business.
a mother

Hugoton, KS

#2 Oct 1, 2007
Aman!

Since: Sep 07

Small town in KS

#3 Oct 2, 2007
An American Girl wrote:
lately when I go into local business, I hear more employees speaking spanish than english. The other day I asked a sales person to help me and she could not because she did not speak English. I am not prejudiced but this is American and English is what I want to hear when I go into a business.
You said it!!!! I agree with you 100% We do so much to accomodate the spanish speaking residents and look where it has gotten us! Just look at job openings many say "spanish speaking a plus" even have read some saying a "must". Notes coming home from school have to have english on one side spanish on the other. I am a parent who must know my childrens friends and their parents before allowing any away from our home playdates and a couple years ago the child had to translate just so I could get directions to even meet the parents! I understand they have heritage, traditions, their language, but this IS America and Americans speak english!!!! I find it to be very annoying when you go into a business as you stated and be put it that kind of situation!!! They want a job, a better future, then speak the language of the country that is providing you with such a chance. I know it can be done. I know a specific young woman that came to the states from Mexico as a grade schooler speaking spanish and did what it took to learn, speak and understand the english language. She has set such a wonderful example. If only more were like her. She didn't give up her traditions, beliefs, or such but has become an educated english speaking member of society! Why shouldn't there be more like her!
english speaking resident

Moscow, KS

#4 Oct 2, 2007
Didn't Kansas pass a law making english the official language? What good is it going to do if it is not enforced? That's one of the resons I don't like going into Mcdonalds.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#5 Oct 2, 2007
That is one of the business in particular I am talking about but yes ther are others!
AMERICAN

Moscow, KS

#6 Oct 2, 2007
What a great topic!!! As a white mother I am not prejudice. I think there are wondeful spanish speaking people that live in our country. I have very good friends that are spanish, but..........
We live in America, lets speak english. If you want to live here in our country then speak our language. I think sometimes the whites are being discriminated against. When a business here is looking for help and they say Bilingual prefered, that's discrimination. What happened when years ago if you could not speak the language, you brought your own translator with you. Come on people, we are catering to them. Do you think they will cater to us when we go to Mexico? NO
Pedro

Johnson, KS

#7 Oct 2, 2007
que?
AMERICAN

Moscow, KS

#8 Oct 2, 2007
Pedro wrote:
que?
MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!!
Pedro

Johnson, KS

#9 Oct 3, 2007
If you really feel this way, you need to get involved in organizations like www.fairus.org
Put your money where your mouth is.
Pedro

Johnson, KS

#10 Oct 3, 2007
I want to make this very clear. I am not a racist, nor am I anti immigration. Personally, if some one wants to come into our country to work, I really don't have an issue with that. Issue work permits and do not allow chain immigration. What I DO have an issue with is a porous border that makes it impossible to know who is coming and going. I see it as more of a national security issue at this point. I have a HUGE issue with giving illegal aliens free medical care and social security bebefits.
Stay at home mom of 4

Ulysses, KS

#11 Oct 5, 2007
I agree that we are trying to accommodate the Mexicans too much. We could not move to any other country and expect them of learn our language and honor of culture and traditions. I am a 3rd generation Hispanic, and my family learned English. I never even heard my grandparents speak their native language. They did not force us to learn it, but seems now that would have been a good idea. They truly became Americans. They never loving talked about the "old country", or even went back for vacations. They loved the United States.

I do believe everyone should learn about their heritage. But learn about it at home. Learn about it while visiting with the older members of your family. They'd love to have you come by for a visit, and talking about their childhood memories. The best stories I've every heard were stories my grandparents, and great-grandparents have shared with me.

Lastly, as a non Spanish speaking person, I have had a hard time finding a job. I am unemployed right now. I am a high school graduate, and I also graduated from a trade school. When I've applied at jobs, I've noticed I've been passed over for young Spanish speaking people. I've been fortunate to have a husband who has been able to support our family on one income. When people assume me and my children should know Spanish because of how we look, it makes me mad. I often get told we need to learn. I respond saying, "No, you need to learn English."
American

Ulysses, KS

#12 Oct 5, 2007
Stay at home mom of 4 wrote:
I agree that we are trying to accommodate the Mexicans too much. We could not move to any other country and expect them of learn our language and honor of culture and traditions. I am a 3rd generation Hispanic, and my family learned English. I never even heard my grandparents speak their native language. They did not force us to learn it, but seems now that would have been a good idea. They truly became Americans. They never loving talked about the "old country", or even went back for vacations. They loved the United States.
I do believe everyone should learn about their heritage. But learn about it at home. Learn about it while visiting with the older members of your family. They'd love to have you come by for a visit, and talking about their childhood memories. The best stories I've every heard were stories my grandparents, and great-grandparents have shared with me.
Lastly, as a non Spanish speaking person, I have had a hard time finding a job. I am unemployed right now. I am a high school graduate, and I also graduated from a trade school. When I've applied at jobs, I've noticed I've been passed over for young Spanish speaking people. I've been fortunate to have a husband who has been able to support our family on one income. When people assume me and my children should know Spanish because of how we look, it makes me mad. I often get told we need to learn. I respond saying, "No, you need to learn English."
Me Too!!!! It's taken me over a year to find a good paying job in this town where I wasn't required to speak spanish. I've always been told that I have wonderful skills, all but one, spanish. Personally, THIS IS AMERICA we speak ENGLISH!!!!!! If I wanted to learn spanish i'd move somewhere where they speak it.
Meya

Ulysses, KS

#13 Oct 5, 2007
I was in Walmart in GC the other day, and there were three groups of people speaking 3 different languages near me: a family of hispanics speaking spanish, a mennonite family speaking german, and a very dark-skinned family dressed in African garb speaking some language I didn't recognize. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to hear all these different languages.

I do agree that people who come to this country need to learn our language. We should not have to make accomodations for their decision. I hate seeing products or advertising in 5 different languages. I really liked what Stay at Home Mom of 4 wrote about how her grandparents loved America and wanted to be americans. I wish all immigrants felt that way and would appreciate the country instead of feeling Americans owe it to them to make accomodations for them.
Ulysses

Holcomb, KS

#14 Oct 5, 2007
I'm so tired of hearing about this crap. I'm married to a "Mexican" as some of you people call Hispanic's, and he DOES speak English. I also speak Spanish and I'm "White", and are children speak spanish and ENGLISH. I think that it will help them later in life. And NOT just here in ULYSSES. We have hispanic all OVER this WORLD. I'm working and I don't have to know Spanish to have my job. So maybe you haven't looked hard enough for a job. Or maybe you have to have a special job. You can go work at a c-store, Alco, Pizza Hut ect.? Not to hard to find a job.
Get over it

Holcomb, KS

#15 Oct 5, 2007
Ulysses wrote:
I'm so tired of hearing about this crap. I'm married to a "Mexican" as some of you people call Hispanic's, and he DOES speak English. I also speak Spanish and I'm "White", and are children speak spanish and ENGLISH. I think that it will help them later in life. And NOT just here in ULYSSES. We have hispanic all OVER this WORLD. I'm working and I don't have to know Spanish to have my job. So maybe you haven't looked hard enough for a job. Or maybe you have to have a special job. You can go work at a c-store, Alco, Pizza Hut ect.? Not to hard to find a job.
I think what they were talking about was a good paying job with probably benefits and something that is probably a career move, not a minimum wage job.

Good for your children knowing both languages. Good for you being white and knowing spanish.
I just think what some people on here, myself included, are trying to say is that we don't think it should be a MAIN REASON why someone would or would NOT hire you at a job. If you look in the paper, you see a LOT of "spanish speaking a plus" in it. And if you think about it a little, these jobs are trying to accomidate customers by having someone speak spanish to someone who obviously wasn't born and raised here because why else would they not know how to speak english..lmao It's quite funny. And you can get mad all you want...it's still not going to change the actual fact that these illegals are taking your social security for when you are supposed to retire because they have stolen idenities (another law breaking action they do QUITE OFTEN) and collected social security checks, from money you have been putting into since the day you started working. They also get free medical care, because they "don't make enough", yet they still drive that fancy Denali and Escalade. I've seen it at the WIC appointments!! These people, who I see out and about, walk in there saying they don't make shit! The same people I've witnessed myself, walk into Russ' to get their WIC, and they drive off in their HUMMER!!...geezus!! Something is wayyy wrong when you can get away with that. They lie and cheat to get what they want. This is happening in NOT JUST ULYSSES! It's all over the country. So don't get so mad at us here in Kansas. It's not just happening here.

Why do you say it's good your children can speak spanish because it will "help them later on in life"??? Help them out with what?!?!

And from the looks at your post...your grammar is HORRIBLE. I'm assuming maybe it's you who works at Pizza Hut or a convienience store...you may not need to speak spanish at your job, but it looks like you don't need a knowledge for basic english grammar either.
wow

Moscow, KS

#16 Oct 9, 2007
Ulysses wrote:
I'm so tired of hearing about this crap. I'm married to a "Mexican" as some of you people call Hispanic's, and he DOES speak English. I also speak Spanish and I'm "White", and are children speak spanish and ENGLISH. I think that it will help them later in life. And NOT just here in ULYSSES. We have hispanic all OVER this WORLD. I'm working and I don't have to know Spanish to have my job. So maybe you haven't looked hard enough for a job. Or maybe you have to have a special job. You can go work at a c-store, Alco, Pizza Hut ect.? Not to hard to find a job.
GOOD FOR YOU FOR BEING MARRIED TO A "MEXICAN" MAYBE YOU SHOULD MOVE TO MEXICO TOO!!!!!!!!!!
utown citizen

Moscow, KS

#17 Oct 9, 2007
Ulysses wrote:
I'm so tired of hearing about this crap. I'm married to a "Mexican" as some of you people call Hispanic's, and he DOES speak English. I also speak Spanish and I'm "White", and are children speak spanish and ENGLISH. I think that it will help them later in life. And NOT just here in ULYSSES. We have hispanic all OVER this WORLD. I'm working and I don't have to know Spanish to have my job. So maybe you haven't looked hard enough for a job. Or maybe you have to have a special job. You can go work at a c-store, Alco, Pizza Hut ect.? Not to hard to find a job.
What do your kids first, spanish or english?
utown citizen

Moscow, KS

#18 Oct 9, 2007
oops, I meant to ask what do your kids speak first, spanish or english?
lifelong proud resident

Holcomb, KS

#19 Oct 10, 2007
I think it's pretty petty of people to degrade or cut others down on this forum. We are all here to voice our opinions and shouldn't have to be belittled for them. We are adults. In my experience I know for a fact that a majority of the mexicans working under false identification have not stolen anyone's identity. They are using SS numbers and names that are made up. Employers have a duty to submit all ssn and names of all new hires to the ss administration to get verified. 9 times out of 10 these numbers come back as not matching the name. Therefore I would think that the ss/medicare benefits that are being submitted for this number would be impossible to collect at retirement. Which is benefiting the American citizens by contributing to a fund that is rapidly depleting because citizens are living longer, not because benefits are being paid to immigrants. The employers are then required to notify the employee of the discrepancy and are not allowed to terminate them based on that information. I also feel that the mexicans I've come to know and had experience with do not have the mentality of "Americans owe it to them to make accomodations for them" This is the reason they have opened their own businesses, to accomodate themselves, not to ask others to do it for them. The businesses that are hiring spanish speaking persons are probably doing it more for themselves than to accomodate the mexicans. They are looking at the facts, that the mexican population in Ulysses is high, and they don't want to lose that business. So in accomodating them and making them feel more comfortable, they increase their profits. I don't feel it is fair to not give the mexicans some credit. If they all left our town who would cook your food, clean your houses, wait on you at the restaurants, work the intensive labor jobs, etc. A lot of them are doing the menial jobs the anglos don't want to do, they are not taking the high paying professional jobs. We all need to look at the facts of the situation, that being that our town has a large hispanic population, and ask ourselves what we need to do to better fit in the community that we live in, because chances are they're here to stay.
Forever Ulysses

Holcomb, KS

#20 Oct 10, 2007
taken your mexican husband and go to mexico, you can not own land, have a job or stay there longer then 180 days with out coming back to the usa and get another permit to go back to Mexico. get real lady and smell the roses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sublette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which color of power ranger is best???? (Nov '07) 11 hr Concerned_American 9
barfight? (Apr '08) Mar 19 Assquatch 7
Save an interesting link here! (Nov '11) Mar 16 Swedish Guy 142
Citizens concerned about west view addition (Apr '09) Feb 26 leaf lettuce 29
Daron hall (Oct '11) Feb '17 Citizen Pitt 296
Clinton not too old to run! (May '14) Feb '17 Shootem 4
Inbreeding Jan '17 Assquatch 2

Sublette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sublette Mortgages