Sturgis Rally 2012
Bear

Rapid City, SD

#1 Aug 27, 2012
This is the kind of crap that goes on at the Sturgis Rally...
Myron Eliason, 81, was driving from his home in Belle Fourche. He was on his way to the Buffalo Chip campground in Sturgis to volunteer to help the DAV. It was mid-afternoon and he picked up a hitchhiker at Whitewood. Just before getting to the Buffalo Chip the hitchhiker, Robert Fox of New Orleans, LA for no known reason, began stabbing Myron with a knife. Myron went into the ditch. He suffered numerous stab wounds, one deep wound in each lung, deflating both.

Myron lost track of time. It seemed so many people passed him by without stopping to help. Then an employee of Russ Brown Attorneys, returning to the Chip, saw the conflict, called 911 and actually went to help Myron, pulling him from the vehicle and helping ward off further attacks.

The Meade County Dispatch radioed the Buffalo Chip’s dispatch to advise the conflict was near the Chip. The Chip’s security, EMT’s and ambulance responded immediately and soon arrived at the scene. Buffalo Chip Security secured the crime scene until law enforcement could arrive. The Chip’s EMT’s stabilized Myron and, having no time to wait for an ambulance from town, ambulanced him to the hospital in the Chip’s ambulance.

Myron is still in the Rapid City Regional Hospital. He’s alive, is recovering and hopes to be transferred to the VA hospital in Fort Meade as soon as a bed becomes available.
mike

Myrtle Beach, SC

#2 Jul 26, 2013
Update? Has he been convicted?
TexasLady

Pasadena, TX

#3 Jul 26, 2013
My son ,Robert Fox,had been in Sturgis for two days and had hitchhiked to Rapid City to try to find work tattooing.Not finding work, he decided had to hitch hike back to Sturgis.He was exhausted ,when Eliason picked him up.He asked if he could stow his gear in the back seat,which he did..He then asked to put the seat back and sleep until they reached the Buffalo Chip campground.(The seat was back ,when the vehicle was inspected ,to support his story. He awoke to Eliason making advances on him. He was half asleep,groggy ,reached for his pen knife to ward off the advances.I'm not condoning what occurred. Just that he went on instinct to protect himself. He WAS HALF ASLEEP.The angle of the knife wound supported his story ,of the seat position. There was a drop of blood the size of a quarter, on the seat,,(which was pointed out to police by Robert's public defender.The knife was a pen knife. The length of my pinky finger. Eliason's lungs were not deflated.That was reported by the news.Not true. My daughter and daughter-in-law flew to SD and met with the public defender and saw the wound photographs,from the hospital. Two ball point pen size marks. When Robert saw what he had done,he tried to hack off his arms.My son has never been a violent person ,nor would he or has he ever hurt anyone. The entire town backed Eliason,whose story varied. First he didn't recall,then he recalled a little,an off again ,on again thing.Robert was sent to prison for eight years. Had we been able to afford adequate representation,the outcome would have been very different. I pray every day that those who know the truth will come forward. Hoping that knowing a man is in prison for eight years because he was railroaded,will weigh on their conscience.The Rally brings in a lot of revenue to that town. I just realized I left out one more thing. My son had NO drugs or alcohol in his system as was reported. There was a syringe found at the scene. It was determined that it belonged to another man who was at the campground.
Steve G

New Orleans, LA

#4 Dec 14, 2013
TexasLady wrote:
My son ,Robert Fox
I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to rob. We were good friends and we lived in the same apartment complex in New Orleans. I helped him out a bit when he did a couple tattoos on me, and I have to say, he is an amazing artist. I knew him for almost a year and I'm having a hard time believing what the hell happened. I was with him the night before he took off for Sturgis and he was in good spirits. I hope they take it easy on him. I realize the circumstances aren't in his favor, but I'm pretty sure I would've done the same had someone tried taking advantage of me like that. I hope he gets some leniency on this case.
Texas Lady

Pasadena, TX

#5 Dec 15, 2013
Talked with Rob yesterday. He is doing better. Painting again.He writes often and calls when he can.He is at Mike Durphee State Pen in Springfield,SD,for the next eight years.There was no fairness in any of it. I hope Elaison can sleep well at night knowing he didn't tell the truth and that my son is on jail because of that. Rob has a FB page with his address at MDSP on it. If you would like to write or just send a Christmas card ,I know he would appreciate it. We all live across the country and can't visit. His wife decided she didn't want to wait eight years and is divorcing him. On the bright side,he is a new grandpa for the first time. I send him pictures of Alex when I write. Thanks again Steve for responding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sturgis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sturgis Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 17 Musikologist 13
News INTERVIEW: Sheriff Mark Kessler (Oct '09) Aug 12 Kathy cz 19
News Bizarre Sturgis Motorcycle mishap caught on vid... Aug 9 Parden Pard 5
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Jul 30 america first 13
News Sturgis Rally prompts cut in speed limit Jul '16 hansena 1
News New chiropractic CEO cracks glass ceiling at Ph... (Jan '15) Jun '16 ChristopherDA 6
Full throttle saloon fire burned to the ground ... (Sep '15) Mar '16 wowitsgone 3

Sturgis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sturgis Mortgages