Smoking ban enforced in Sturgis

Smoking ban enforced in Sturgis

There are 3 comments on the KOTA-TV Rapid City story from Aug 13, 2011, titled Smoking ban enforced in Sturgis. In it, KOTA-TV Rapid City reports that:

Rules, regulations and restraint are not words commonly associated with the Sturgis motorcycle rally.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOTA-TV Rapid City.

VillageMystery

Huntsville, AL

#1 Aug 13, 2011
""It's a shame that there's so many laws 'don't do this, don't do this don't' do this'. They keep passing the 'don't do' laws," said Gold, the owner of One Eyed Jacks Bar."
Cleveland Kid

Cleveland, OH

#2 Aug 13, 2011
"I want to smoke inside with everyone else..."

Too bad. The party inside goes on without you.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#3 Aug 13, 2011
Lots of cogent comments in that one. Too hard to choose one. I thought maybe I had a whiner winner with the thing about obeying the laws because you have to and not because you want to. Maybe I should have stopped there and gone with that one. Oh, well.

It is oddly amusing that the author says it is "thanks to South voters" that the law is there. This law was passed by the state legislature (and SD has one of the strictest "preemption" clauses of any state, causing even school districts to play "Mother, may I?" with the state if they want to increase protection from SHS) and signed by the governor in '09. The only reason "South Dakota voters" were involved is that a handful of whiners ran around screaming that "the people of SD" should decide. After a huge amount of crap went down with nearly ten thousand bogus signatures removed from the petition drive, a court decided there were enough left.

So, the handful of whiners got their way. The people of SD DID decide--against them. Now, the same set of malcontents is pushing to have the law thrown out as unconstitutional. Not, as it is clear so many of you would turn this into yet another pulpit for your proclamations of, because of some "private property" issue, but because "it isn't fair" that there are some types of business that still get an exemption, "creating a new class of citizen".

Anything to foster the entitlement attitude in the addicts of the state, I guess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sturgis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hells angels give head on the highway to every ... (Jun '11) Feb 4 Marko 28
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Feb 1 Luella Mendoza 20
News The National Anthem Is A Dastardly 'Neo-Confede... Aug '17 okimar 3
As you Cheer Tiany Schuster my buddy just shot ... (Jul '17) Jul '17 CashCow 1
Sturgis Music Selection (Sep '12) May '17 Musikologist 14
Robert harkins (Apr '17) Apr '17 Smh 1
News New chiropractic CEO cracks glass ceiling at Ph... (Jan '15) Apr '17 annasmart 8

Sturgis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sturgis Mortgages