Martin County students help Ugandan children

Thanks to junior Kelcey Weimer, students at Martin County High School on Monday saw the plight of 20,000 displaced children from the 20-year civil war in Uganda. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Helio

United States

#1 Oct 9, 2007
I wonder how many invisible children there are in America?
Livingstone

Canada

#2 Oct 9, 2007
First of all as a person from Northern Uganda, I would like to thank you, the Martin County Children for your effort to assist the children of Northern Uganda.
How ever i am also sad to say that Organisation like 'Invisible children' have turned from caring organisations to Fraudulent and scam. The directors of Invisible children forgot what they stated back in 2005 and have now turned to greed. Only less than 25% of money they have been raising in the name of the children of Northern Uganda gets there to the children.
The directors of Invisible children have turned this money to become their very personal money. The directors now drive expensive cars and refer to themselves as Movie directors. They have been shunned by all international Northern Uganda associations in Canda, UK, Sweden and even in Sandiego USA.
Associations such as "acholi in diaspora"(canada) Acholi association(UK) Freinds for Peace in africa(USA). Peace in Northern Uganda group(Sweden). "Campaign to end genocide in Northern Uganada)(USA) and many more.
"invisible children' functions are boycotted by many ugandans who are aware that they recieved bribes from General Salim Saleh to focus the suffering of the Northern Uganda Children to the Rebels...rather than tell the whole truth that both the rebels and Uganda government ave comitted atrocities and Genocide againts the acholi people of Northern Uganda..
Northern Uganda members of parliament have added 'invisible children' to their list Of NGO's under investigation for fraud.
They have been requested to publicly declare their accounts since 2005 however untill today that has not been done.
Your contributions are better off being sent directly to the children in Northern Uganda rather than to enrich the directors of 'invisible children'
However we leave it to God to be the judge. Thank you and God bless all of you

Judged:

15

12

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mike

San Diego, CA

#3 Nov 20, 2008
Livingstone, thank you for your comments--I must say I wholeheartedly agree with you.
As a university student in the U.S., I have seen this organization all over the place and have even attended a presentation or two of theirs. The entire time, the whole approach they took seemed a bit too much like a pyramid scheme, or even a cult. Now, they are hosting an event in my area where they are selling designer clothes that allegedly will benefit the children in Northern Uganda. I believe, however, that Invisible Children IS a pyramid scheme and that they should be thoroughly investigated for fraud and embezzlement. The manner in which students become involved in the organization and the degree of their enthusiasm about the issue is both encouraging and disturbing. Encouraging, because they feel so passionately about the suffering of the children and the Acholi people in Northern Uganda...but also disturbing, because of the blind faith and total obsession with which they give their time and money to Invisible Children, Inc.
kotecha

Ipswich, UK

#4 Nov 21, 2008
Mike wrote:
Livingstone, thank you for your comments--I must say I wholeheartedly agree with you.
As a university student in the U.S., I have seen this organization all over the place and have even attended a presentation or two of theirs. The entire time, the whole approach they took seemed a bit too much like a pyramid scheme, or even a cult. Now, they are hosting an event in my area where they are selling designer clothes that allegedly will benefit the children in Northern Uganda. I believe, however, that Invisible Children IS a pyramid scheme and that they should be thoroughly investigated for fraud and embezzlement. The manner in which students become involved in the organization and the degree of their enthusiasm about the issue is both encouraging and disturbing. Encouraging, because they feel so passionately about the suffering of the children and the Acholi people in Northern Uganda...but also disturbing, because of the blind faith and total obsession with which they give their time and money to Invisible Children, Inc.
Her's the biggest crook of them all.Sits right there in the State House with the President for life.This man has terrorised innocent Ugandas for years hiding behind Museveni.Should also be charged at the ICC in Hague for crimes agaiinst humanity.Read on.

The Director of Special operations in State House, Maj. Roland Kakooza Mutale is facing special investigations into his conduct.

The investigations follow allegations by some Members of Parliament that he conned Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in northern Uganda using his NGO, Kalangala Action plan (KAP).

The probe will be conducted by the ministries of internal affairs and finance.
Among other organizations to be probed include COWE, TEAN, Dutch International and Acid. The probe comes after MPs had told parliament that the above organizations are duping IDPs.

“The organizations that are conning people include TEAN, COWE and ACID. There could be others which we don’t know as a ministry and we appeal to members to forward the names of those organizations.

We also appeal to the IDP’s not to embrace every organization which approaches them claiming to render assistance,” Kasaija said.
“Kakooza Mutale through his KAP went to the north (Acholi) and collected bags of money from IDPs claiming that he was going to assist them.

Evidence was tabled before the internal affairs ministry but the man continues to move freely. It seems the investigations are being done selectively,” MP Okumu Regan said.
Joe

Kenosha, WI

#6 Apr 3, 2009
Livingstone wrote:
First of all as a person from Northern Uganda, I would like to thank you, the Martin County Children for your effort to assist the children of Northern Uganda.
How ever i am also sad to say that Organisation like 'Invisible children' have turned from caring organisations to Fraudulent and scam. The directors of Invisible children forgot what they stated back in 2005 and have now turned to greed. Only less than 25% of money they have been raising in the name of the children of Northern Uganda gets there to the children.
The directors of Invisible children have turned this money to become their very personal money. The directors now drive expensive cars and refer to themselves as Movie directors. They have been shunned by all international Northern Uganda associations in Canda, UK, Sweden and even in Sandiego USA.
Associations such as "acholi in diaspora"(canada) Acholi association(UK) Freinds for Peace in africa(USA). Peace in Northern Uganda group(Sweden). "Campaign to end genocide in Northern Uganada)(USA) and many more.
"invisible children' functions are boycotted by many ugandans who are aware that they recieved bribes from General Salim Saleh to focus the suffering of the Northern Uganda Children to the Rebels...rather than tell the whole truth that both the rebels and Uganda government ave comitted atrocities and Genocide againts the acholi people of Northern Uganda..
Northern Uganda members of parliament have added 'invisible children' to their list Of NGO's under investigation for fraud.
They have been requested to publicly declare their accounts since 2005 however untill today that has not been done.
Your contributions are better off being sent directly to the children in Northern Uganda rather than to enrich the directors of 'invisible children'
However we leave it to God to be the judge. Thank you and God bless all of you
I completely agree with you, do you have any proof to back it up? I'd love to take that into school and show them that Invisible Children ain't as great as everyone makes it out to be.
Toddman

United States

#7 Apr 21, 2009
You can get the Better Business Bureau F rating info online. They have failed to submit reports since 2006 and are red flagged. You can also look at the financial statements they do post and see that they have an extremely large amount of administrative cost and they even try to list the bracelet campaign as an aid expense when it is actually an advertising expense for promotion and activism...it does not help the children. Actually less then 25 percent of what they take in goes to the field to aid children. Their offices are in one of the most expensive cities in the west coast. Scam.
Meli

Greece

#8 May 5, 2009
Crazy thing is, the Acholi and Langi and all those people in the North dismantled democracy in Uganda. An army of them, led by Idi Amin and with Obote as the commander raided the Buganda King's palace, killed everyone in the area, burried some alive, men, women and children alike. The King escaped into exile where they (Those North Ugandans)later poisoned him to death. They abolished kingdoms, wrote their own constitutions every when they wished, never abiding by them either. Then they were all very happy, sadists, they murdered and raped and hurt lots of people. The Baganda children were then the only invisible lot. What is happening in Uganda now, to them and to Buganda still, was build on a foundation of their own making.

The adults have to bear the consequences of their actions. For the children, it's really sad they had and still have to go through all they have. And most probably they don't even know their parents started all this mess. People should start to learn their lessons. As they go around walking the Gulu walk and making all those speeches about the Invisible children and collecting funds, they should have a minute of silence for the innocent people they killed in Buganda, for the invisible Baganda children whom they forced to spend endless nights in the bush, and who witnessed them murder their parents and siblings, and the troubled lives those who survived lived ever since. Would be nice if just one of them felt some remorse for their actions and as much as whispered an apology.

What I see here, was first the pain cause dto the Baganda children. Then the pain reached their won children. But now it's being imported internationally to toher children who'll loose their faith in humanity because of these scam organizations. The Northern Ugandans should stop being selfish, if only for once in their entire lives, and do whatever they can, even if it puts a lid on the funds flowing in, to protect other people's children too. These children who are trying to help.
Sabrina

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Oct 26, 2009
livingstone, I'm really interested in reading and researching more about this secret about invisible children. I was enthusiastic about the organization when I found out about it, but as my time that I devoted towards IC progressed, I realized that there is something peculiar about Invisible Children. Do you know any articles regarding this? I'd like to talk more about it with you
doesnotmatter

Coppell, TX

#10 Nov 15, 2009
stick to the facts, if you go to the BBB (better business bureau) website this is what they say in regards to the Invisible Children's rating:
This Charity did not provide requested information. As a result, the Better Business Bureau cannot determine if it meets standards.
searchin4truth

Decatur, GA

#11 Jan 25, 2010
where are your articles from other than BBB... if you are going to make such acusations than please state where you found ALL information otherwise it comes off as opinion...
lookatthefacts

Monroe, NC

#12 Jan 25, 2010
before you come out with sensationalist claims that aren't backed up, check the facts. everything is included in this document. an updated version will be available soon.

http://cloud.invisiblechildren.com/media/fina...

tax audits are also available on the invisible children website dating to 2006. fyi, plenty of charities aren't evaluated by the BBB.

also, i have been to Uganda and i've seen the amazing work that invisible children has done on the ground affecting the lives of thousands.
parker

Batavia, IL

#13 Feb 17, 2010
HAHAHA you post up a link that is the MOST biased sourse POSSIBLE, thats like if i turned to the government to tell me about the benifits of prohibition, the fact is that this is a major institution which gets media coverage and media is COMPLETLY corrupt and only serving the wants of coorperations and others ways to screw people over and thats exactly what invisible children is, they provide false hope for hundeds of thousands of teens but they are just that, false, its sad how easily good intentions can get circumvented to produce the veryt thing they are fighting against
Tom

United States

#14 Mar 17, 2010
I really apreciate the negative opinions expressed by everone. Invisible Children cam to my school a couple weeks ago and caused such fuss. We had people walking around campus asking for donations, and the student council was organizing rallies to "raise awarnes". The moment I saw the Invisible Children's presentation my first instinct was to find their finacial records. They weren't there. It saddens me to think that I live in an ignorant, reactionary society, but it is the sad truth. This occurance made me begin to lose my faith in society, and I feel that if the ignorant masses want to feel good about themselves we aware individuals should let them, and those of us who want to actually help end global atrocities then we should take matters into our own hands.
lanidrac

New Orleans, LA

#15 Mar 25, 2010
In regards to where the money goes here is a very reliable website that shows how Invisible Children distributes their money. Invisible Children uses this group and not the Better Business Bureau. So I don't think that it is so much about not having their information public you just have to do some research. There are probably many issues and problems with Invisible Children but you have to remember that there are problems with all organizations. You have to measure the bad against the good. See which one out weighs the other.
I understand the complaints with Invisible Children and I too have been to Uganda and what I was told is that they feel that they are just another american group trying to fix the problems. We have remember though that there are tons of students out there who want to help and don't know how. So I ask instead of just bashing a group that has been so good at giving voices to those who are never listened to, help them. Give them advice. None of our problems are going to be solved if we just yell and criticize each other.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm...
Imlookingfortrut htoo

Ellicott City, MD

#16 Apr 10, 2010
In the midst of so many of you trying to "oust" Invisible Children, I hope you're trying to do so with facts. It seems like a lot of you are just expressing opinions and trying to pass them off as facts than can be proven. And if I'm wrong, I'd like to see where you're getting your information (hint: blogs are not reputable sources).

and to Parker: Of course Invisible Children is the first one to give out its financial information and spending, they're the ones who would know first... think about it... There's no way around that.

But if you're going to slander the name of a non-profit that claims it seeks to support education and end a war, shame on you if you can't back up your claims with facts.

Try to make sure you're not becoming part of the problem (because if you're not part of the solution..)
Portland

Tacoma, WA

#17 Apr 10, 2010
All of these comments are very disappointing. Invisible Children is very legit and as a registered 501c3 non-profit in america they are required to have at least 70% go to programs and 30% go to overhead. So therefore they are monitored in their actions. On top of that, I know for a fact that they are independently audited every fiscal year and proceed to release their financials on to their website. It just saddens me that all of you are making these claims based on nothing.

ps I have actually been to Uganda, visited 5 of the school IC is partnered with and rebuilt.

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/About/annual...
kotecha

Edinburgh, UK

#18 Apr 11, 2010
Portland wrote:
All of these comments are very disappointing. Invisible Children is very legit and as a registered 501c3 non-profit in america they are required to have at least 70% go to programs and 30% go to overhead. So therefore they are monitored in their actions. On top of that, I know for a fact that they are independently audited every fiscal year and proceed to release their financials on to their website. It just saddens me that all of you are making these claims based on nothing.
ps I have actually been to Uganda, visited 5 of the school IC is partnered with and rebuilt.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com/About/annual...
99% of all American churches, do gooders and other evangelists operating in Africa are fakes. They are just there to save their 'souls'.They all know that when it comes to instant healing and the rest of mumbo jumbo Africans are the most gullible of all the people on this planet. Even Museveni's wife is caught up in all this garbage calling herself 'born again'. But then knowing her greedy husband and family she also might be making money like all the tutsis that govern Uganda for now.
An Acoli in Awere

Playa Del Rey, CA

#19 Apr 30, 2010
What I know is that The Invisble Children seems to be a very dubious organisation with vested interests in Acholi.

They are involved in land grabbing in Pader District, Angole in Awere Subcounty. The case is with Odong & Co Adocates in Gulu. Ref. LO/LAAD/086/07. They were invoved in arbitrarily arresting, torturing and detaining people especially women with children who were returning to their lands from the camps and transporting them to police stations in April 2007. Some of these unfortunate detainees spent a whole week (08/4/2007-14/4/2007) in detention. People in Awere bore witness to this. Unfortunately these poor souls are unable to foot the legal fees for this serious crime. Is the American Senate being used as a cover?
Kelcey W

Jacksonville, FL

#20 Jun 1, 2010
Hello to all commenters,
My name is Kelcey Weimer. I'm not sure how many of you are just commenting on what others have written above you or have actualy read the article, but this article pertains to me and my school. I started a club at my high school called "TigerCare International" (as our school mascot was the Tiger) not only did we work with Invisible Children, but with Soles4Souls and other organizations as well. I started the club, single-handedly my junior year and it was pretty much sucessful until I graduated my senior year. I had heard of Invisible Children from my sister so I looked them up on the internet and got them to come to our school. I sent out invitations to the teachers to see who wanted to bring their classes and on the day of the viewing, the auditorium was packed. We were able to show over 600 high school students on topics most of them had never even heard about - we did this 2 years in a row! After school that day, TigerCare had a club meeting and close to 50 students showed up when we usually only had 5. The main point of my argument is that I just wanted to open the eyes of my fellow classmates. I wanted to share with them some of what I learned about what is going on in different parts of the world. I wanted to give them a visual to make them see that there are more important things in life then cars and clothes. Hopefully, some of my classmates, even one would be enough, have taken that knowledge with them and will make a difference in the world.
If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to e-mail me at roxyfish308@bellsouth.net
Thank you.
Leanna

Grain Valley, MO

#21 Jul 20, 2010
I'm sorry to day this, but Invisible Children is not a scam. They are a non-profit organization trying to change and save lives. All of their financial records are on their website. Maybe you guys should dig a little deeper next time. IC is an amazing organization trying to do amazing things for many people. If you all opened your minds to it, then you wouldn't be so quickly to judge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stuart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 48 min 30 years svs 2,498
When Should I Hire A Personal Injury Attorney? (May '13) Sep 17 Peter Simmons 4
Gangs moving in, police chief says (Mar '07) Sep 15 port saint lucifer 46
Debate: Marijuana - Port St. Lucie, FL (Aug '10) Sep 11 sherry 149
Old Holiday Inn oceanside site (Jun '10) Sep 11 cupcake 11
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Sep 8 Liberal forever 2,972
9-11 Known Since 1997 (Jun '13) Sep 7 Dulcimer 34
•••
•••
•••

Stuart Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Stuart People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Stuart News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Stuart
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••