Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Feb 25, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Larry in VT

Stowe, VT

#1 Feb 21, 2013
Well, Dear leader gave a speech the other day where he told us little people that if the sequester goes into effect next friday, trains will stop running, airports will be clogged and "three hour waits" will result, fire fighters won't put out fires, police wont be there to protect us, ambulances wont run, teachers wont be able to teach, cities will burn, the internet won't work, we won't have electricity, food stamps won't exist and people will starve, the elderly won't have Medicare and will die.

But he will continue to be paid.

All because of those wasciwy wepubwicans.(sorry Barney)

We are looking at a REDUCTION IN THE GROWTH, not actual cuts in government spending. With the current spending, we are looking at a 2% reduction in that spending. Two percent. Federal employees, who make on average 17 to 20% more than their counterparts in the private sector will have a pay freeze. Not a pay cut, but a pay freeze. And you would think the world is ending.

Many want Congress to not get paid until this is resolved, but ol' Betsy Botox says she deserves her money.

I personally hope the sequester comes about. Then we can all see what a liar Ostupid really is.
Danny

Manchester, CT

#2 Feb 21, 2013
Another one of his lies...

Since: Sep 09

Effort

#3 Feb 21, 2013
More fear mongering, the main 'product' of our politicians.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#4 Feb 21, 2013
I hope it comes about and then I hope thay attack entitlements too so it even begins to make a dent in our deficit. I do not see this as a rep/dem thing. I see this as a necessity for all americans.
Larry in VT

Stowe, VT

#5 Feb 21, 2013
slush wrote:
I hope it comes about and then I hope thay attack entitlements too so it even begins to make a dent in our deficit. I do not see this as a rep/dem thing. I see this as a necessity for all americans.
What entitlements to you want to see attacked? Social security? Medicare? Medicaid? Food stamps?

I'm asking a serious question. How would Slush handle entitlements if you were given the chance to make the decisions?

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#6 Feb 22, 2013
fistv wrote:
More fear mongering, the main 'product' of our politicians.
An unsigned opinion piece in the PR is calling for selling off our oil reserves to prevent sequestration. How outrageous is that?

Since: Sep 09

Effort

#7 Feb 22, 2013
AunieEm2 wrote:
<quoted text>
An unsigned opinion piece in the PR is calling for selling off our oil reserves to prevent sequestration. How outrageous is that?
What scares me about that is there is one group who probably said 'Hmmm, sounds like a plan' and another group that immediately got together with their business partners and asked 'can we make any money off of this' the sad part is both groups were probably elected into office and take up space in DC.
lotta

Tunkhannock, PA

#8 Feb 22, 2013
Larry in VT wrote:
<quoted text>
What entitlements to you want to see attacked? Social security? Medicare? Medicaid? Food stamps?
I'm asking a serious question. How would Slush handle entitlements if you were given the chance to make the decisions?
That's a good question Larry, not just for slush but for everybody. What would you do?

Personally I'd start with raising the age for SS benefits and do something about medicare part D to lower costs such as allowing the gov't to negotiate drug prices like the VA does. Then maybe get rid of the obamaphone program. And paying out almost 2 years of unemployment benefits is ridiculous.
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

#9 Feb 22, 2013
Now let me see if I have this right. Obama promised 'spending cuts' before March If the house republicans provided a tax increase before December 31.

The Republicans produced but Obama can't???

Seems we do not have a 'do nothing congress' after all.
Larry in VT

Stowe, VT

#10 Feb 22, 2013
We can't arbitrarily raise the retirement age tomorrow. But we can gradually raise it to 70. But that won't save money right now.

Let's start with Food Stamps. Currently you can purchase any food with them, except prepared foods. Oh, and toilet paper is exempt. You can buy Cheese Doodles with the card, but not toilet paper. My next door neighbor was on the program and got $348 a month for food for her and her daughter. How many here can buy all their food for $348 a month? It does involve creative buying. Now most people think that's $87 a week. But four times a year a month is 5 weeks long, so that means stretching that $348 by only spending $69.50 a week. But again, eliminating certain things from the program won't save any money. They'll still get $348 a month.

We do need to totally revamp the way the Government purchases things. They throw so many pages of regulations into the PO so a $20 Sears hammer ends up costing $400. They should be negotiating like WalMart. WalMart tells their suppliers they want 10,000 hammers not for $400, but $6. And yes, they should negotiate with the drug companies in the same fashion.

Unemployment: There should be a trigger point where unemployment goes over a certain level, automatic extensions kick in. But not 7.8%. We are going to have to wean people off that benefit, and the sooner, the better.

lotta

Tunkhannock, PA

#11 Feb 22, 2013
Larry in VT wrote:
We can't arbitrarily raise the retirement age tomorrow. But we can gradually raise it to 70. But that won't save money right now.
Let's start with Food Stamps. Currently you can purchase any food with them, except prepared foods. Oh, and toilet paper is exempt. You can buy Cheese Doodles with the card, but not toilet paper. My next door neighbor was on the program and got $348 a month for food for her and her daughter. How many here can buy all their food for $348 a month? It does involve creative buying. Now most people think that's $87 a week. But four times a year a month is 5 weeks long, so that means stretching that $348 by only spending $69.50 a week. But again, eliminating certain things from the program won't save any money. They'll still get $348 a month.
We do need to totally revamp the way the Government purchases things. They throw so many pages of regulations into the PO so a $20 Sears hammer ends up costing $400. They should be negotiating like WalMart. WalMart tells their suppliers they want 10,000 hammers not for $400, but $6. And yes, they should negotiate with the drug companies in the same fashion.
Unemployment: There should be a trigger point where unemployment goes over a certain level, automatic extensions kick in. But not 7.8%. We are going to have to wean people off that benefit, and the sooner, the better.
good ideas Larry:) Care to run for congress?
Larry in VT

Stowe, VT

#12 Feb 22, 2013
lotta wrote:
<quoted text>
good ideas Larry:) Care to run for congress?
I'm a self employed crafter, so I can't afford the pay cut. And since Vermont only has one Congressman, and he's a nincompoop, the lefties up here will keep him.

You see, common sense is gone in Washington. And that's why I liked Herman Cain.

Location hidden

#13 Feb 23, 2013
I would like to see welfare, foodstamps and Medicaid SERIOUSLY cut or even eliminated. Put them to work for their handouts! All we are creating is unmotivated takers and we can't afford it. I am sick to my stomach when I see the crap that the foodstamp recipients buy with my money or able bodied people not working for the lamest reasons like stress, substance abuse or I'm a single mother and other bs. Then there are the takers that have better access to healthcare than I do. Poor life decisions are not my problem.I'm sick of it!
Larry

Stowe, VT

#15 Feb 23, 2013
That's what I like about you Slush. You have absolutely no problem with elderly widows who make $400 a month on Social Security starving because you don't want them to have food stamps.

And just what are they buying that annoys you so much? Beer? Can't. Tobacco? Nope. Steak? They get only so much money. And who are you to decide what they can and cannot purchase with that money? As it is they can't buy toilet paper.

If you want the program changed, then change the parameters of eligibility. As of now qualifications are based on income and income only. Assets do not play a part in the decisions. And we can thank your party for that.

What about free breakfasts in schools? Should we eliminate that?
how about some facts

Mohnton, PA

#16 Feb 23, 2013
Larry wrote:
That's what I like about you Slush. You have absolutely no problem with elderly widows who make $400 a month on Social Security starving because you don't want them to have food stamps.
And just what are they buying that annoys you so much? Beer? Can't. Tobacco? Nope. Steak? They get only so much money. And who are you to decide what they can and cannot purchase with that money? As it is they can't buy toilet paper.
If you want the program changed, then change the parameters of eligibility. As of now qualifications are based on income and income only. Assets do not play a part in the decisions. And we can thank your party for that.
Hi Larry,

I don't know where you heard that resources aren't considered and that the Democrats are responsible for that. It is not true, and cannot be spun as true, despite the best efforts of the RW.

There are income and resources limits, and pretty stringent ones, in order to qualify for SNAP (food stamps). Vehicle value restrictions, if any, are handled at the state level, but the income and resources limits are applicable across the country.

Thought you'd want to know.

Location hidden

#17 Feb 23, 2013
Larry wrote:
I said able bodied! That is the difference. Putting words in my mouth again. I am talking about someone who is able to work but rather sit back and let me pay their way as they consume nothing but junk food and then I finance their substance abuse problems. Or the woman who had 5 kids by 5 different men, never got an education and then expects me to support her kids. Get it now?

Location hidden

#18 Feb 23, 2013
Larry wrote:
You obviously have never stood behind a food stamp recipient on a check out line and saw their cart filled with nothing but junk. Or are you a recipient youselfwith that defensive attitude? Then all I have to say is "get a job".
ambler

Stroudsburg, PA

#19 Feb 23, 2013
roid rage, I believe...

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#21 Feb 23, 2013
More votes bought and paid for. Oh, slush, tell that is not true either, because you don't know anyone on foodstamps that voted D.
Larry

Stowe, VT

#22 Feb 23, 2013
how about some facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Larry,
I don't know where you heard that resources aren't considered and that the Democrats are responsible for that. It is not true, and cannot be spun as true, despite the best efforts of the RW.
There are income and resources limits, and pretty stringent ones, in order to qualify for SNAP (food stamps). Vehicle value restrictions, if any, are handled at the state level, but the income and resources limits are applicable across the country.
Thought you'd want to know.
I never said resources aren't considered. I said ASSETS are not considered. Resources are indeed considered as they are considered income. Your total household income cannot exceed I think 150% of the poverty level for the number of people in the household, at least here in Vermont.

Your money in the bank, your car's value, your home's value etc are not considered.

My neighbor got SNAP benefits even though she lives in a 3,500 sq ft custom log home and drives a 2011 Toyota Sienna.

Those are the facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stroudsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 15 hr bacon hater 51,299
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 18 hr Knows he lost 3,921
Northwestern Academy: boy escapes from Northwes... (May '09) Tue lydia 47
Bystander catches woman who jumped from burning... Aug 26 Yashira Rivera 1
Social Security disability approvals decline (Dec '13) Aug 22 Amelia Gillian 76
Centralia's last 9 residents fight eviction (May '10) Aug 21 Mayja 8
THE SAFEST PLACE IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY The town ... (Dec '08) Aug 19 John Fowlkes 62
•••
•••
•••

Stroudsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Stroudsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Stroudsburg News, Events & Info