Psychoactive drugs may impact mass shootings

Posted in the Stroudsburg Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Jan 31, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 30, 2013
 
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighb...

The Newtown School shooter reportedly took the pharmaceutical drug Fanapt, made by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation. Fanapt is prescribed to treat schizophrenia in adults, according to the drug company's literature. Fanapt was approved by the FDA after two short-term research trials: a four week and a six week trial.

Side effects listed in the literature that accompanies Fanapt notes the following: Fanapt can cause "arrhythmia and sudden death - consider using other antipsychotics first."

Other side effects of Fanapt include suicide, along with hostility, aggression, mania, a confused state, along with problems with impulse control. Fanapt can also cause seizures, erectile dysfunction, high blood pressure, and low blood sugar.

Frequent side effects of Fanapt include restlessness, aggression, and delusion. Fanapt can also cause hostility, paranoia, anorgasmia, confusional state, mania, catatonia, mood swings, panic attack, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, delirium, polydipsia psychogenic, impulse-control disorder, and major depression.

Novartis and the FDA state that this drug has not been safely tested on young people. According to Novartis, "Safety and effectiveness in pediatric and adolescent patients have not been established."

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 30, 2013
 
Most of these drugs have that same safety warning, but yet they are readily prescribed for children and adolescents. Scary. Some kids really need help, then others are shoved into the shrink's office in order to obtain a diagnosis for the checks.

Since: Sep 09

Effort

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 30, 2013
 
I look at the side effects of many of these drugs and seriously consider that I would rather deal and live with the problem than take the pills.
Shirley

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 30, 2013
 
fistv wrote:
I look at the side effects of many of these drugs and seriously consider that I would rather deal and live with the problem than take the pills.
Have to agree with that,Drs.shove blood pressure,chloresterol pills,etc.,all have side effects,same with the flu shot-putting a dead germ in your body,have never had to deal with any of these,like you I'll take the chance of dealing with whatever happens.
lotta

Tunkhannock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 30, 2013
 
Lanza taking Fanapt is supposedly a hoax started by an internet troll. That said, there are many cases of young shooters on similar medications but I have to wonder if that's not a chicken/egg thing, though in general, I believe all medications are overprescribed. Big pharma would like it to stay that way.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 30, 2013
 
fistv wrote:
I look at the side effects of many of these drugs and seriously consider that I would rather deal and live with the problem than take the pills.
Sometimes that is the case, but other times you hope the doc has your best interests at heart and not the pharma co's.
lotta

Tunkhannock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 30, 2013
 
hennypennyhag wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes that is the case, but other times you hope the doc has your best interests at heart and not the pharma co's.
That's one ugly ball of wax:(. There's also the patient and the patient's expectations to add to it. One reason we're in the antibiotic resistance mess we're in today has to do with their over-prescription simply because giving an Rx looks like the Dr. is doing something. And that's what patients expect and what contributes to patient satisfaction. Giving antibiotics for a cold was almost routine just a few years ago even though we know that colds are caused by viruses and antibiotics are not effective against them.

As for psychotropic drugs, with national health care on the horizon I think we'll see even more prescribing. And with taxpayers footing the bill the sky will be the limit. I predict we'll be seeing a lot more drug advertising. IMHO, advertising is the first thing we should have restricted in the name of cost control. The amount spent by drug companies is staggering.

Still, if we see an increase in Rx'es then I suppose that may be one way to sort out my question re the chicken/egg thing..... if we have an increase in violent incidents as the Rx rate increases then I think we'll have a strong indicator.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 30, 2013
 
Well, that's certainly something to look forward to lotta :(

You are correct though.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 30, 2013
 
I don't think the doctors are the ones 'pushing' the scripts as much as the patients who see all this advertising pressuring the doctors to write them.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 30, 2013
 
^in reply to post #4
Shirley

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 30, 2013
 
hennypennyhag wrote:
I don't think the doctors are the ones 'pushing' the scripts as much as the patients who see all this advertising pressuring the doctors to write them.
How many people do you know that go to a Dr.and say I want blood pressure or chlores.pill?I went for a physical last week and the doc says you should have a pneumonia shot,I politely told him no.
Too many people think a pill is going to take care of a problem.Usually it makes it worse.I know a lot of people who are on the chlor.pill and they eat anything they want,lots of fatty stuff and other foods not good for you,but since their tests say it's ok then it must be good for them,Really?

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 30, 2013
 
Shirley wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people do you know that go to a Dr.and say I want blood pressure or chlores.pill?I went for a physical last week and the doc says you should have a pneumonia shot,I politely told him no.
Too many people think a pill is going to take care of a problem.Usually it makes it worse.I know a lot of people who are on the chlor.pill and they eat anything they want,lots of fatty stuff and other foods not good for you,but since their tests say it's ok then it must be good for them,Really?
A few personally. But I am repeating what a couple of doctors have told me, from their experience. My doctors don't prescribe meds like candy, that's why I stick with them.
lotta

Tunkhannock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 30, 2013
 
Shirley wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people do you know that go to a Dr.and say I want blood pressure or chlores.pill?I went for a physical last week and the doc says you should have a pneumonia shot,I politely told him no.
Too many people think a pill is going to take care of a problem.Usually it makes it worse.I know a lot of people who are on the chlor.pill and they eat anything they want,lots of fatty stuff and other foods not good for you,but since their tests say it's ok then it must be good for them,Really?
I have to agree with henny. If you don't think patients drive the drug market then think about two none fatal conditions that are making the drug companies billions each year, mostly due to advertising- ED and toe nail fungus.

Here was an interesting article if you need more convincing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/201...

"We seem to be living through the most extraordinary paradox: We have never been healthier, yet we seem to consider ourselves sicker and sicker than ever. Mild symptoms, inconvenience, being at low-risk, aging, human life, and death, are rapidly being medicalized."

There are all sorts of new conditions we never even thought about treating before because they just aren't all that serious. And when sales fall or patents start to run out, the companies just make up new conditions and make sure the public knows about their *new* miracle drug.
Shirley

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 30, 2013
 
lotta wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with henny. If you don't think patients drive the drug market then think about two none fatal conditions that are making the drug companies billions each year, mostly due to advertising- ED and toe nail fungus.
Here was an interesting article if you need more convincing.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/201...
"We seem to be living through the most extraordinary paradox: We have never been healthier, yet we seem to consider ourselves sicker and sicker than ever. Mild symptoms, inconvenience, being at low-risk, aging, human life, and death, are rapidly being medicalized."
There are all sorts of new conditions we never even thought about treating before because they just aren't all that serious. And when sales fall or patents start to run out, the companies just make up new conditions and make sure the public knows about their *new* miracle drug.
A lot of patients take the pills the Dr.prescribes because they think the Dr.knows best,maybe it's time for people to start questioning why it's necessary to pop a pill for the problem they have.Years ago I don't believe anyone questioned Drs,now with so much info on the internet I for one think half the time they're just guessing at what's wrong with you.How many Drs.have their patients visit them every 3 months? Do you suppose it might have to do with money?

Since: Sep 09

Effort

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 30, 2013
 
I have said it before and will say it again, a treatment makes much more money for drug companies than a cure does.
My doctor tried to get me started on cholesterol lowering drug, I started taking red yeast rice then the FDA banned the real stuff at the behest of big pharma which is what the cholesterol drugs are based off of.
Big pharma uses laws to prevent treatments that are natural and have been used for centuries like red yest rice.
loose stool

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

testing.
some of my most salient comments have disappeared.
I blame slush

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

loose stool wrote:
testing.
some of my most salient comments have disappeared.
I blame slush
I see you.

slush is too busy, but the busybody isn't.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

fistv wrote:
I look at the side effects of many of these drugs and seriously consider that I would rather deal and live with the problem than take the pills.
I agree.
lotta

Tunkhannock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jan 31, 2013
 
loose stool wrote:
testing.
some of my most salient comments have disappeared.
I blame slush
I believe your salient comments have been located in Kentucky... along with your pig :)
loose stool

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

lotta wrote:
<quoted text>I believe your salient comments have been located in Kentucky... along with your pig :)
I smell a whiff of prejudicial species xenophobic pigeonholing. I'll be putting a check in your box labeled "thin veneer".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stroudsburg Discussions

Search the Stroudsburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 1 hr bacon hater 3,808
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 7 hr More Settled Science 51,184
Where can you get the 2013 income tax forms. (Jan '13) 14 hr poodle 7
Former Ebay Sellers group on Facebook come join... Jul 17 FormerEbaySeller 2
Costco Jul 15 Shane 1
owner (Apr '12) Jul 14 LolaBee 4
any wives chea ting on husbands with significan... Jul 10 mayoroftrs 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Stroudsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Stroudsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Stroudsburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Stroudsburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••