Ohio voters approve 59 percent of sch...

Ohio voters approve 59 percent of school levies | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 54 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 4, 2011, titled Ohio voters approve 59 percent of school levies | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Ohio voters yesterday approved 59 percent of tax requests for schools even though Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Team Al

Upper Sandusky, OH

#42 May 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
The unsatiable appetite for more money absent any sacrifice from our educators needs to be addressed.
You're just upset because 59% of schools passed their levies and the "silent majority" that you have been touting, over and over again, turned out to be pro-public education, pro-schools, and pro-teacher. The late Tip O'Neill said it best when he declared: "All politics is local."

Black Lion, Kasich stuck a sharp stick in the eye of the local communities for the sake of the corporations. He could have talked to them, reasoned with them, and come to a consensus on shared sacrifice, but he chose another route. That was not a good strategy. If people are voting on behalf of the schools, who have become Kasich's whipping boy... how much more will the voters protect our firemen and police officers?
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#43 May 4, 2011
Kahless wrote:
<quoted text>
Olentangy has a base salary of about $37K a year. To make $80K a year requires the teacher to have a Masters degree (or equivalent) and over 25 years experience or be earning additional money through supplemental contracts (like coaching) or extra days (like a guidance counselor). I would also guess some of those names you are upset about are administrators who work a 225+ day school year. So how much should a teacher with a Master's degree and 25 years experience earn?
There is no requirement for a teacher to have a masters degree in Ohio. You can start on day one with a BA and end your career there as well. You know it is a four tier system and to get to tier 3 so you can make more money you will need a masters but you can stay at tier 2 until you retire. This has been hashed out to death on this forum previously.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#44 May 4, 2011
Team Al wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just upset because 59% of schools passed their levies and the "silent majority" that you have been touting, over and over again, turned out to be pro-public education, pro-schools, and pro-teacher. The late Tip O'Neill said it best when he declared: "All politics is local."
Black Lion, Kasich stuck a sharp stick in the eye of the local communities for the sake of the corporations. He could have talked to them, reasoned with them, and come to a consensus on shared sacrifice, but he chose another route. That was not a good strategy. If people are voting on behalf of the schools, who have become Kasich's whipping boy... how much more will the voters protect our firemen and police officers?
I am actually quite pleased. I want local governments and districts to make their own decisions regarding their respective communities instead of taxing everyone in the state and then shipping our money to individual communities at the whim of a politician on either side of the isle. The remarks I made (you know this) about the silent majority were specific to SB5 and not individual school districts so don't try to make them applicable to school levies. School districts are another subject altogether. These little dicatators directly threaten voters by taking away extra curricular activities and sports from their kids if the levy doesn't pass while they get more money. Olentangy is among the most notorious. Kasich has a nice surprise in the works for them regarding consolidation.
Puzzled

Canal Winchester, OH

#45 May 4, 2011
Black Lion - does your brain work? Any person entering into education has 5 years to receive their masters degree or they will not have their teaching license renewed.
Some of the older teachers were grandfathered, but you know nothing about requirements for the renewal of a teaching license.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#46 May 4, 2011
Puzzled wrote:
Black Lion - does your brain work? Any person entering into education has 5 years to receive their masters degree or they will not have their teaching license renewed.
Some of the older teachers were grandfathered, but you know nothing about requirements for the renewal of a teaching license.
You cannot provide proof of what you say either from the ODE or your individual union contract. If you believe what you say you are misinformed or you are looking at old information. The actual language has been posted on topix several times and no masters is required until you apply for tier #3 which is not mandatory. Look it up and admit you were incorrect later. I am a teacher.
Team Al

Upper Sandusky, OH

#47 May 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
I am actually quite pleased. I want local governments and districts to make their own decisions regarding their respective communities instead of taxing everyone in the state and then shipping our money to individual communities at the whim of a politician on either side of the isle. The remarks I made (you know this) about the silent majority were specific to SB5 and not individual school districts so don't try to make them applicable to school levies. School districts are another subject altogether. These little dicatators directly threaten voters by taking away extra curricular activities and sports from their kids if the levy doesn't pass while they get more money. Olentangy is among the most notorious. Kasich has a nice surprise in the works for them regarding consolidation.
I know your remarks were specific to SB5... I was just messin' with ya! I haven't had the privilege of chatting with you for a while.
On a side note, I suspect that the 59% passage is a little misleading. Some of those school districts who passed this time around were actually on the ballot for the 2nd or 3rd time. It was not a "one time shot" and the voters flocked to the polls to pass the levy. I think Kasich's recent activities may have actually helped them get over the top with the passion he stirred up. I do believe that educational reform is on the way however, regardless of the passage of SB5, because it is usually the budget that drives any industry toward change, and the budget is what is broken at this time. School boards are going to have to find a way to determine "wants" from "needs". That is something many districts have been hesitant to do.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#48 May 5, 2011
Team Al wrote:
<quoted text>
I know your remarks were specific to SB5... I was just messin' with ya! I haven't had the privilege of chatting with you for a while.
On a side note, I suspect that the 59% passage is a little misleading. Some of those school districts who passed this time around were actually on the ballot for the 2nd or 3rd time. It was not a "one time shot" and the voters flocked to the polls to pass the levy. I think Kasich's recent activities may have actually helped them get over the top with the passion he stirred up. I do believe that educational reform is on the way however, regardless of the passage of SB5, because it is usually the budget that drives any industry toward change, and the budget is what is broken at this time. School boards are going to have to find a way to determine "wants" from "needs". That is something many districts have been hesitant to do.
More specific to the misleading "Voters approve 59% of school levies" is that they were all renewals of existing levies but 2/3 of the NEW levies were voted down.
Hooked on Fonics

Lewis Center, OH

#49 May 5, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot provide proof of what you say either from the ODE or your individual union contract. If you believe what you say you are misinformed or you are looking at old information. The actual language has been posted on topix several times and no masters is required until you apply for tier #3 which is not mandatory. Look it up and admit you were incorrect later. I am a teacher.
In fairness, this is brand new as of 2011. Until this past January you needed to earn an MA. Many teachers had already done so prior to January. Your argument is only partially legit.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6103...
Jesus H Christ

Skyland, NC

#50 May 5, 2011
How crazy are you people? Why in the world would you want to spend more money on education? Don't you realize dumbshits are easier to lead around by the nose? Kasich and his political progeny are counting on more dumbshits to maintain control of you. Get with the program!
Dan

Galloway, OH

#51 May 6, 2011
Jesus H Christ wrote:
How crazy are you people? Why in the world would you want to spend more money on education? Don't you realize dumbshits are easier to lead around by the nose? Kasich and his political progeny are counting on more dumbshits to maintain control of you. Get with the program!
Not really... I mean they count on it like all political folks

but I think the ultimate goal is to give tax dollars directly to for profit companies
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#52 May 6, 2011
Hooked on Fonics wrote:
<quoted text>
In fairness, this is brand new as of 2011. Until this past January you needed to earn an MA. Many teachers had already done so prior to January. Your argument is only partially legit.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6103...
black/white, hot/cold, correct/incorrect; I don't care it is not a contest. You are the only educator so far that admitted this to be true. A gold star is now on your post. You are correct. It is new. However, the four tier system has been around for a while and in that system you could have a BA for 9 years as a teacher in Ohio with no Masters degree required. When you wished to be certified as tier 3 a masters was required, however, you did not have to be certified as tier 3 to keep your job as a teacher in Ohio and could continue as a tier 2 teacher until retirement. Those are the facts.

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#53 May 9, 2011
ugh wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I saw quite a few in that database. Sorry it upsets you.
What percent of the database? I bet you it's pretty low.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#54 May 9, 2011
Puzzled wrote:
Ready to admit you lied. Here is the proof that a masters is not required.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6103 ...
Dirk

Portsmouth, OH

#55 May 10, 2011
lol at Puzzled's fail

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Strongsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NEORSD Storm Water Fee Mon GRS 1
Your Music Director is a Psychopath (Dec '15) Jun 23 Brian Michael King 2
Kumo Buffet in Strongsville Jun 23 Mickeyboy 1
, K8SCI Rick Wells, is African American. May '16 K8COK 1
K8SCI, He can be my b y t c h... May '16 K8COK 1
K8SCI, one fine "WOMAN" Apr '16 K8COK 7
i f u k k d... k8sci. Apr '16 W8IZ Steve Wolf 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Strongsville Mortgages