Mountain Lion Photographed In Souther...

Mountain Lion Photographed In Southern Oklahoma

There are 125 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Jan 5, 2010, titled Mountain Lion Photographed In Southern Oklahoma. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

An Atoka pharmacist says five pictures captured by his special camera in a rural area of Atoka County have Oklahoma Department of Wildlife officials talking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

“PTL & pass the ammo”

Since: Nov 09

Tulsa

#22 Jan 5, 2010
I remember going hunting with my father, and we saw one, of course I was like 12, So I thought it was so cool. It was in a tree, and we just backed away slow. My father was a big nature person, we were hiking in the woods all the time as a child. Dad always made sure we grew with a deep respect for God's creatures.
Mikey

Tulsa, OK

#23 Jan 5, 2010
I saw one in Chandler Park about 10 years ago. It was a male.
DAVE

Byron, GA

#24 Jan 5, 2010
My place was in deep woods South of Henryetta. Being a Disabled American Veteran I wanted to be alone and away from people, probably the strangest of all critters.
I spent many hours sitting in my golf cart watching God's creatures live side by side, never once seeing one invade another's country or tell a lie to steal what the other had. I did see some take the weak and old to continue their lives in the manner that the Creator discribed. I did not ever see a Mountain Lion, but I knew when one had been through. I never saw a Bear, but tracks and scat were there. In fact, most of the illusive animals would have been shot on sight by that strangest of all critters should they have shown themselves.
Trish

Tulsa, OK

#25 Jan 5, 2010
Mike wrote:
I remember seeing one as a kid walking right through the middle of Camp Christian (near Tahlequah) right under one of the street lamps they use to light the path at night. It was pretty late and the barking from the care takers dogs constant.
I went to Camp Christian in Chouteau as a child, too...fun times!
BIG M

Tulsa, OK

#26 Jan 5, 2010
I grew up in Porum Oklahoma and have seen mountain lions and bear also there along the canadian river and the hogs there are huge. In the mid 80s there was a exotic game ranch there and someone cut the fence and alot of the exotics escaped so there are still some of those running loose down there
Just a Gal

Tulsa, OK

#27 Jan 5, 2010
Wow! Great pictures. My husband is a hunter and he sees them every year. I hear his stories but never really get to see them for myself. This is a beautiful cat. I'm glad that these pictures are posted here. This city girl would like to see more.
Cope

Inola, OK

#28 Jan 5, 2010
Kentley wrote:
Rare? I know five respected men who have seen one and one of those was in the City of Tulsa out by the rock quary NE of town. All the others were seen in the Mayes County area. I saw one just east of the Vo-Tech campus near Pryor. Some people don't report that they have seen one for fear of being ridiculed.
Hey Kentley, long tome no talk!
JustaMom

Sapulpa, OK

#29 Jan 5, 2010
I have been seeing them and hearing them since I was a child. Once you've heard one, you will never forget that sound. We currently see their tracks on the backside of our pasture. They are WAY to big to be a bobcats. It's just part of what we have as wildlife here in Oklahoma. People just need to be aware so they can teach their kids caution (if yours are like mine and like to romp in the woods), protect their livestock and their pets. They are a beautiful animal...but one who has to be respected with a healthy dose of fear!
Okmulgee Mom

Broken Arrow, OK

#30 Jan 5, 2010
We have seen them on our farm in Okmulgee they are not rare but are a threat. Legal or illegal, if they are a threat to my children or my animals it will be shot.
why hide it

Tulsa, OK

#31 Jan 5, 2010
There has been one spotted up around Newkirk (Kaw Lake area) also. Authorities said same thing, just a Bobcat, but judging from the claw marks it left on a girl I know, and the paw prints, it was definitely not a Bobcat.
Ashton Kutcher

Tulsa, OK

#32 Jan 5, 2010
I saw a cougar at Los Cabos. She came in close for a drink and I bagged her.

“Taste the Rainbow”

Since: Jul 08

Houston, TX

#33 Jan 5, 2010
Ashton Kutcher wrote:
I saw a cougar at Los Cabos. She came in close for a drink and I bagged her.
Hahaha! I was going to say something to that effect.... Well, all except for the bagging part. I don't bag cougars, I just think I might know where people can set their cameras up to spot them.
Teasly McBagger

Haskell, OK

#34 Jan 5, 2010
Okmulgee Mom wrote:
We have seen them on our farm in Okmulgee they are not rare but are a threat. Legal or illegal, if they are a threat to my children or my animals it will be shot.
You don't have the guts to shoot a real, live mountain lion.
clarity

Tampa, FL

#35 Jan 5, 2010
JustaRandomGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahaha! I was going to say something to that effect.... Well, all except for the bagging part. I don't bag cougars, I just think I might know where people can set their cameras up to spot them.
I don't think her term of "bagging" is the same as a camera shot!!
Motor Mouth

Tampa, FL

#36 Jan 5, 2010
Teasly McBagger wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think you know this Mom? Mess with her kids and you might find out what "guts" she has.
Motor Mouth

Tampa, FL

#37 Jan 5, 2010
Teasly McBagger wrote:
<quoted text>
What gives you the right to judge this Mom's intent. Mess with her kids and you might find out what she has the "guts" to do, Macho.
Why now

United States

#38 Jan 5, 2010
I grew up in Osage county, they are everywhere there. My family and I saw them regularly on our property, one left tracks that were bigger than a full grown saint bernard. We reported these sightings several times to fish and wildlife only to be told we had to be mistaken because there were NO mountain lions in Osage county. Maybe the rangers with fish and wildlife need to get out of their offices more often, then they would actually KNOW what wildlife really does live in Oklahoma.
Coweta Hunter

Elizabethtown, KY

#39 Jan 5, 2010
Id like to shoot that sucker, make a heck of a trophy.
marcia

United States

#40 Jan 5, 2010
that is crazy we had one just get are horse today we have paw prints everywhere

“RIP Eric Medlen FC#4 1973-2007”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#41 Jan 5, 2010
Kentley wrote:
Rare? I know five respected men who have seen one and one of those was in the City of Tulsa out by the rock quary NE of town. All the others were seen in the Mayes County area. I saw one just east of the Vo-Tech campus near Pryor. Some people don't report that they have seen one for fear of being ridiculed.
I live NE of Salina in Mayes County and my son and I have seen a mountain lion twice. I saw a small black bear once, and bobcats several times. Other family members have seen the mountain lion and bobcats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stringtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
baby chicks or hatching eggs Wed booneyman55 1
Atoka Hospital Jul 14 Charon 2
Remember David "B"Rhodes Jun '17 Anonymous 4
Visit Intermission Cafe Jun '17 William Sollenberger 4
Active Still? Jun '17 Anonymous 2
Coalgate Strip Mines (Jan '10) Jun '17 Indict dov lior 2
News Atoka Co. Commissioner charged with 33 counts o... (Jun '11) May '17 Wonderingminds 6

Stringtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stringtown Mortgages