Homatas, families still are awaiting ...

Homatas, families still are awaiting trial

There are 104 comments on the Courier-News story from Jan 30, 2007, titled Homatas, families still are awaiting trial. In it, Courier-News reports that:

It would be difficult to prove John Homatas drove recklessly in a fatal drunken driving accident if no one can say whether he actually was behind the wheel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Courier-News.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
ME BLOOMINGDALE

Bloomingdale, IL

#107 Jun 3, 2011
WHY WOULD JOHNY BE DRIVING IF HE WAS SICK AND THROWING UP? I WOULD NOT LET MY FRIEND DRIVE. HE STILL DOES NOT REMEBER ANYTHING SO I DOUBT THAT HE TOLD ANYONE HE WAS DRIVING.
Hunny boo

United States

#108 Sep 27, 2012
Anyone know how Johnny is doing? Heard he has fb I can find it!!!
JAR

Chicago, IL

#109 Jan 6, 2014
Tammy wrote:
YES,JOHN HOMATAS WORKED ALOT OF HOURS, HE WAS NOT GIVEN A NEW CAR ,HE WAS WORKING AND PAYING FOR HIS OWN CAR.I TRY TO PUT MY PLACE IN JOHN CHERELIOS SHOES AND IF I WAS IN THE BAR DRINKING AND I HAD A FRIEND THAT GOT SICK AS JOHN HOMATAS DID. I WOULD NOT HAVE HIM DRIVING AND PUCKING,I WOULD BE THE DRIVER ? WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE ? YES MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL INVOLVED ,FAMILYS, FRIENDS,AND THE ENEMIES. THE FIRST THING YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK FOR FORGIVENESS, AND GOD WILL FOLLOW THE REST. AND ALL SHOULD KNOW THAT A HORRIFIC ACCIDENT LIKE THIS YOU WILL HAVE MEMORY LOSE. JOHN WOULD NEVER BLAME HIS FRIEND IF HE KNEW HE KNEW WHO WAS REALLY DRIVING. GOD BLESS ALL.
On this day, I must say something. April was my sister. John took her life and if you sat in court all day, everyday, during that trial it was clear. Thanks for your input but you clearly are mistaken. I wish you nothing but the best in life and just hope you don't get it all stolen from you by some loser, lowlife like John. It wasn't just my sister that lost her life that night...much of my family has lost the meaning of life since then as well.
JAR

Chicago, IL

#110 Jan 6, 2014
anonymous wrote:
I was a juror in this trial. I went in knowing nothing about this case and had a completely open mind. I have a son close to John Homatas'age. We on the jury all agreed there would be no real good outcome in the case. No matter what, there would be heartbroken families and we felt sorry for all involved. But the bottom line is that there was absolutely no reasonable doubt to us who was at fault. I think his sentence is pretty fair, I would have thought the maximum was too stiff a penalty. I don't know John Homatas personally and he seemed like he had a lot of friends but it does show a personality flaw when you don't express any remorse for your actions. The only remorse he shows is the fact he's going to jail. And that is also being appealed. I think a person with a conscience would want to take responsibility at this point and not try to keep prolonging the issue.
As a juror I'm almost wondering which one you were. I'm April's brother...the one who spoke at sentencing....and seem to have the jurors photographically memorized in my mind. I thank you for the work you did. I know it must have been hard. I cannot believe it's been as long ago as it has. My only regret, as I think about the opportunity to address him in open court, is that I did not physically harm him. I've had this reocurring thought for 6+ years now that I should have taken my opportunity to set him straight and I don't think I'll ever get over the fact that I didn't. I know...I'll get some people that will say things like "violence solves nothing" and so on but I just wish I didn't let that one shot slip away. If I'm still living in 3 more years when he gets released....I pray we come in contact and he better pray we do not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Streamwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police involved in fatal Summit shooting (Apr '06) 46 min TIRED OF IDIOTS 547
Host a Foreign Exchange Student! (May '07) 21 hr really 77
News New Mexican Restaurant, El Fuego, Opens; Offers... (Mar '14) Mon Frank Longdong 4
News 5 charged in rape of teen (Oct '08) Mon Frank Longdong 59
News Judge gives transgender students voice in Chica... Jun 17 TerriB1 1
News Glendale Heights man charged in two bank robber... Jun 14 Teresa W 1
sears kmart email spam Jun 14 Sears and Kmart suck 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Streamwood Mortgages