Whatever Happened to the Fisher Quintuplets?

Posted in the Stratford Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 131 Comments Last updated Apr 9, 2014
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Bobbie from Boise

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2006

In September of 1963 the first set of quintuplets to survive in the the US was born in Aberdeen, SD. I have heard that they grew up in that city, too. They will be 43 this fall --if they are still living. Are they?

The WORLD would like to know.
Thanks.
Bobbie from Boise

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2006

They will be 43 this fall --if they are still living. Are they?
Cowboy Bill

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2006

All 13 members of the Fischer Family still live in the Aberdeen, SD area.

Mary Ann and her husband; Andrew, divorced in the 1980s, which also may be a reason the media has lost interest in this family. The entire family, including Andrew (age 81) still gets together at Christmas.
Despite the troubles that came with publicity in the 1960s, the family's private life was wonderful and still is.

Mary Ann has been quoted as saying, "The joy of my children was the best part," she said. "We had lots of good times. Why, we had enough family to have our own ball games out in the yard."

At this time, neither she nor any of her children are sitting on top of the world, but they are all happy. Mary Ann has also been quoted saying, "They're the most important thing to me. I love every one of them dearly and none of them turned out bad. I am not saying we were always perfect, but I think I did a pretty good job as a mother, and I am proud of every one of them."

Mary Ann has eight grandchildren ranging from grade-schoolers to college students. She also has one great-granddaughter. The family with an understandable propensity for privacy will celebrate their 4rd birthdays on Sept 14th in that manner.
Karen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2006

I simply wish that they would allow some magazine to do an article because it would be really fun to see how they all look now. I truly wish them well.
kirk 1105

Aliso Viejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2006

I also want to respect their privacy. But would
love to know how their lives evolved. They were out of the spotlight after age 4 or 5.
But being the first quints in the USA to survive,
I am just curious.
Dianne

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2006

I remember how excited everyone was when the Fischer quints were born. I remember how the family said they had 10 children, not the quints and five others. and I remember when they had the 11th one the next year or so. It would be fun to see pitures of all the family again, but I understand them wanting to be just people like all the rest of us..which is what they are. Thant's for this website.
Danie

Aberdeen, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2006

Yeah they are alive. And they are all still living in the aberdeen area
Danie

Aberdeen, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2006

Bobbie from Boise wrote:
They will be 43 this fall --if they are still living. Are they?
yeah they are
carol glendora ca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2006

Judged:

I remember them taking pictures of the quints on my cousins farm in sisseton sd the pictures were in look magazine it is my fathers treasure who happens to be 89 his birthday is feb. 4, 2007 he will be 90 years old he lives in britton s.d. with my mother and when i go to visit we go to aberdeen to the storybook park we love the small town atmosphere and the friendly people i hope the quints are well would like to know if there was ever a book written or any articles i could collect for myself and my parents thanks carol
Pat - Iuka Ms

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2006

The Fischer quints were born 2 weeks before my oldest daughter.
I have always had an interest in them due to this. While I do realize they need their privacy, I wish they would allow someone to do an article about them.
Pam Dunedin FL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2006

My first child was only a few weeks old when the Fischers were born: Same town, same doctor, same hospital, in Aberdeen. I, too, am sorry we don't get more news of them. There was a flurry of coverage when they were born; not all of it positive. Their lives were invaded, so I can understand their need for privacy. I wish them well, and always remember them on my son's birthday.
Almab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2006

I collect everything I can find on the Fischers. The calendars are very difficult to find. I just purchased the 1970 (which was the hardest of all to find) of the series for my collection. They were produced from 1964-1971 or 72. Madame Alexander made a set of "Original Quintuplets" for one year only in 1964. They were supposed to represent the Fischers since she couldn't get the family to authorize a set with the family name on it. She made extra clothes for the dolls, available in pink and blue. It is very very difficult to find these items. I have managed to put together the nightgowns, long dresses and robes in the correct color combination for this set. Allied Doll and Toy made a set of five dolls dressed in four pink blankets and one blue...they were 7 1/2" tall. Grants had a similar set. Several smaller sets were available from Japan. They were marketed under the names "Quint-Tots" and Quintuplets Baby Darlings. Most were dressed in the four pink and one blue combo as a tie in to the Fischers. There was also one paper doll set made to represent the Fischers. It was simply called Quintuplets with five blonde babies, one boy and four girls. The town produced a coin for the celebratory parade that is quite collectable and several post cards were produced. None of the post cards showed the children. Rather there were photos of the sign coming into town and the hospital where they were born. I would love to see some photos of them now!
Almab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2006

ps Thanks Cowboy Bill for your wonderful update of the family.
Margiemb1

Aberdeen, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2006

I am Mary Margaret, and we are all still alive and well. I don't think there would be a problem with an article about all of us as long as it would include the whole family and not just the five of us. We aren't millionaires or anything like that but we are all very close. We still all get together ar Mom's house for Christmas and see each other for lunch once in a while. But all in all we are alive and well! Thank you all for the memories and nice words. We also like to collect calendars and magazines and read the stories. It makes for fond memories!!
Lisa B

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2006

I had a set of the paper dolls all the way down in Texas. I've always wondered what happened to the actual "babies". Glad to hear they have had a good life! It would be neat to see their families and learn more about them. I have 5 of my own children, but they span 11 years!
reader122

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2006

Margiemb1 wrote:
I am Mary Margaret, and we are all still alive and well. I don't think there would be a problem with an article about all of us as long as it would include the whole family and not just the five of us. We aren't millionaires or anything like that but we are all very close. We still all get together ar Mom's house for Christmas and see each other for lunch once in a while. But all in all we are alive and well! Thank you all for the memories and nice words. We also like to collect calendars and magazines and read the stories. It makes for fond memories!!
thank you for your up date. i was allways looking for information regarding your family. i use to collect everything written about your family.i had hoped that everything went well and that you and your family were doing well.
AlmaB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2006

Almab wrote:
I collect everything I can find on the Fischers. The calendars are very difficult to find. I just purchased the 1970 (which was the hardest of all to find) of the series for my collection. They were produced from 1964-1971 or 72. Madame Alexander made a set of "Original Quintuplets" for one year only in 1964. They were supposed to represent the Fischers since she couldn't get the family to authorize a set with the family name on it. She made extra clothes for the dolls, available in pink and blue. It is very very difficult to find these items. I have managed to put together the nightgowns, long dresses and robes in the correct color combination for this set. Allied Doll and Toy made a set of five dolls dressed in four pink blankets and one blue...they were 7 1/2" tall. Grants had a similar set. Several smaller sets were available from Japan. They were marketed under the names "Quint-Tots" and Quintuplets Baby Darlings. Most were dressed in the four pink and one blue combo as a tie in to the Fischers. There was also one paper doll set made to represent the Fischers. It was simply called Quintuplets with five blonde babies, one boy and four girls. The town produced a coin for the celebratory parade that is quite collectable and several post cards were produced. None of the post cards showed the children. Rather there were photos of the sign coming into town and the hospital where they were born. I would love to see some photos of them now!
So nice to have an update and wonderful to hear everyone is well.
AlmaB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2006

Lisa B wrote:
I had a set of the paper dolls all the way down in Texas. I've always wondered what happened to the actual "babies". Glad to hear they have had a good life! It would be neat to see their families and learn more about them. I have 5 of my own children, but they span 11 years!
Glad to see another Texan...I don't know why it is showing Tulsa OK on my name1
AlmaB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2006

Margiemb1 wrote:
Great to hear everyone is well and close. I wish someone would write that article!
Chris Erikson

Irvington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2007

I just came across a Saturday Evening Post with a cover story on the quints. The headline is "The Fischer Quints frolic on their new farm". It's dated July 31, 1965. Email me if you would like me to send it to you. No charge.:-) chris_erikson@yahoo.com
carol glendora ca wrote:
I remember them taking pictures of the quints on my cousins farm in sisseton sd the pictures were in look magazine it is my fathers treasure who happens to be 89 his birthday is feb. 4, 2007 he will be 90 years old he lives in britton s.d. with my mother and when i go to visit we go to aberdeen to the storybook park we love the small town atmosphere and the friendly people i hope the quints are well would like to know if there was ever a book written or any articles i could collect for myself and my parents thanks carol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stratford Discussions

Search the Stratford Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Fischer Quints (Oct '13) Oct '13 Richard D Frison 2
Review: Matt's Tree Service (Feb '12) Feb '12 Saddles 1
SD Who do you support for Commissioner of Schools ... (Oct '10) Feb '11 hold on 7
SD Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in S... (Oct '10) Feb '11 UW Wallpaper and Photos 8
SD Who do you support for Auditor in South Dakota ... (Oct '10) Jan '11 everything comes 5
SD Who do you support for Public Utilities Commiss... (Oct '10) Dec '10 huh 23
SD Who do you support for Treasurer in South Dakot... (Oct '10) Nov '10 GMD 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Stratford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Stratford People Search