Loopholes, nothing but loopholes

Posted in the Stratford Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
UpstateWizard

Coshocton, OH

#1 Feb 23, 2013
Can anyone think of a loophole that can effect the Common Council Resolution concerning the taxing of the Ys rental props and the Co-Op. No resolution is absolute, it was crafted by people with an agenda to a specific goal. Could that narrow focus possibly have left avenues that the Assessor may be able to exploit? Just thinking out loud.

Since: Jan 10

ishmael.org

#2 Feb 24, 2013
The law is on the YMCA's side.
That should be enough.
But

Cortland, NY

#3 Feb 24, 2013
UpstateWizard wrote:
Can anyone think of a loophole that can effect the Common Council Resolution concerning the taxing of the Ys rental props and the Co-Op. No resolution is absolute, it was crafted by people with an agenda to a specific goal. Could that narrow focus possibly have left avenues that the Assessor may be able to exploit? Just thinking out loud.
Resolution are written with a agenda. In this situation the council voted for no one opposing.
It would be very difficult to overturn.
UpstateWizard

Coshocton, OH

#4 Feb 24, 2013
But wrote:
<quoted text>
Resolution are written with a agenda. In this situation the council voted for no one opposing.
It would be very difficult to overturn.
Oh I dont know, Some Lawyers love to find ways around anything.Maybe there is a legal eagle out there right now who would love to torpedo a resolution drafted by the lawyer who helped the Council with its resolution.It does not matter if the resolution was passed by all. Even the Constitution gets wrung out regularly.
Reality Check

Herkimer, NY

#5 Feb 24, 2013
UpstateWizard wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I dont know, Some Lawyers love to find ways around anything.
More than anything else, however, lawyers love to be PAID. Thus the Common Council resolution not to PAY the City's lawyers for any further work on this matter is likely to have a chilling effect on the passion those lawyers for finding loopholes.
UpstateWizard

Coshocton, OH

#6 Feb 24, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
More than anything else, however, lawyers love to be PAID. Thus the Common Council resolution not to PAY the City's lawyers for any further work on this matter is likely to have a chilling effect on the passion those lawyers for finding loopholes.
Could be R.C.- could be, but do not rule out the Assessor, with guidance and guile, find funding somehow that may not be under the Common Council control.Unlikely but who knows?
Rumor Check

Herkimer, NY

#7 Feb 24, 2013
UpstateWizard wrote:
<quoted text>Could be R.C.- could be, but do not rule out the Assessor, with guidance and guile, find funding somehow that may not be under the Common Council control.Unlikely but who knows?
I heard that Bob looked at using UR funds and Water/Sewer funds to continue paying the lawyers, but I am not sure I believe it. Smart people say this is finally over, but I don't believe that either. Peters is just starting the process of getting revenge, and I am sure he will not let the YMCA get out of his gunsights either.
UpstateWizard

Coshocton, OH

#8 Feb 24, 2013
Thank you Rumor Check for your comments, I hope that you and others will go to the Common Council meeting in March and ask questions like that during Public Comment. Questions yes, rants no.
Rumor

Cortland, NY

#9 Feb 24, 2013
Rumor Check wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard that Bob looked at using UR funds and Water/Sewer funds to continue paying the lawyers, but I am not sure I believe it. Smart people say this is finally over, but I don't believe that either. Peters is just starting the process of getting revenge, and I am sure he will not let the YMCA get out of his gunsights either.
Neither UR funds or water/sewer funds can be used for lawyer fees in the Y fiasco.
Ynot

Herkimer, NY

#10 Feb 24, 2013
Rumor wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither UR funds or water/sewer funds can be used for lawyer fees in the Y fiasco.
Since when does Mayor Peters feel a need to follow the rule of law?
Rumor

Cortland, NY

#11 Feb 24, 2013
Ynot wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when does Mayor Peters feel a need to follow the rule of law?
He would need board approval and a board member to sign the check with him on one of those boards.
Just like the council passed their resolution so can the other boards.
Ynot

Herkimer, NY

#12 Feb 24, 2013
Rumor wrote:
<quoted text>
He would need board approval and a board member to sign the check with him on one of those boards.
Just like the council passed their resolution so can the other boards.
But Peters just fires board members that disagree with him?
UpstateWizard

Coshocton, OH

#13 Feb 25, 2013
Ynot wrote:
<quoted text>
But Peters just fires board members that disagree with him?
How many board members have been fired just for disagreeing with Peters? Does anyone have any names?And what was the disagreement about? Or is it just another Urban Legend?
Wow

Little Falls, NY

#14 Feb 25, 2013
UpstateWizard wrote:
<quoted text>How many board members have been fired just for disagreeing with Peters? Does anyone have any names?And what was the disagreement about? Or is it just another Urban Legend?
Santry and Shaffer off the Urban renewal board for starters.
LFR

Herkimer, NY

#15 Feb 25, 2013
UpstateWizard wrote:
<quoted text>How many board members have been fired just for disagreeing with Peters? Does anyone have any names?And what was the disagreement about? Or is it just another Urban Legend?
How can you be on the council and not know this? Pls do your homework.
Sea Lawyer

Utica, NY

#16 Feb 25, 2013
UpstateWizard wrote:
Rob and Jeff from Codes, for two more examples. Reason given by the Mayor...a need for "new blood" on the board, even though these two were the two newest members. One suspects they were fired for supporting candidates other than Peters in the last election.

There's virtually no reason to even have boards in this City, in these current circumstances. The Mayor tells them nothing, and if they complain, members are fired. Thus, these boards are useless, and cannot do anything other than agree with whatever the Mayor wants. I cannot imagine why any person would wish to serve under those conditions. Why spend all the time and effort learning the position and the needs of it, if only to be fired the first time you disagree with Bob Peters?
LFR

Herkimer, NY

#17 Feb 25, 2013
Bear in mind, Peters sits on every board as it heads.

Power corrupts.
UpstateWizard

Coshocton, OH

#18 Feb 25, 2013
LFR wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you be on the council and not know this? Pls do your homework.
Council? I began this thread by asking a question.This forum is where I do my homework, By asking questions, getting answers, and occasionally questioning answers.
Wow

Little Falls, NY

#19 Feb 25, 2013
We elected him to two terms. Unreal.
nosy resident

Herkimer, NY

#20 Feb 25, 2013
it can only corrupt if you let it .
come on people it time to take back whats left of the city before it all goes down the drain we elect people to do whats best for us speak up and let them know what you expect from them if not. remember them on election day.lets get going in a good way and all work for the good of the city.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stratford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Urban Renewal 1 hr Fyi 11
Cristy LaVenture (Apr '14) 1 hr Lovespell83 16
What was going on at the Mc Donalds today 1 hr Fyi 4
Anything but MSF and that Fugly Fountain! 9 hr Eggs Tech 55
Vacant Houses 13 hr String Theory 30
New Pizza Joint 13 hr What 19
Younger girl taking care of senior citizen 17 hr Firm nut 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stratford Mortgages