Vermont brewery told to change beer name

The makers of Monster energy drink are taking aim on a Vermont brewery that sells a beer called "Vermonster." Rock Art Brewery, which is located in Morrisville, says it's been told by Hansen Beverage to cease and desist from selling its Vermonster brand. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
flat lander

United States

#1 Oct 12, 2009
the term or name VERMONSTER has been around long before either of those two companies used it. You got to be as stupid as that crap drink to spike your brain which burns you up so they don't think. well in 10 years when they can't think it's called burnout. WHO IS GOING TO CONFUSE THAT CAN OF CRAP WITH A BOTTLE OF BEER. BAN THE MONSTER DRINK FROM VERMONT iT'S NOT VERMONT MADE GET OUTLOSERS
flat lander

United States

#2 Oct 12, 2009
DID HANSON OF CAL. STEAL THEIR NAME FROM FENWAY PARK. tHEIR CAN HAS GREEN ALL AROUND THE TOR RUNNING DOWN. FENWAY PARK LEFT FIELD WALL HAS BEEN CALLED THE MONSTER AND ALSO THE GREEN MONSTER. SO WHO IS WHO CALLING THE SHOTS the brewery is using a term in general not a patented name
Gloria

Montpelier, VT

#3 Oct 12, 2009
Isn't the name of our Vermonster, Champ?
Localkid

Brattleboro, VT

#4 Oct 12, 2009
I agree this is total BS. The name Vermonster has been around forever. Mike wood drove an drag bike with a V8 in it named the Vermonster back 15 or more years ago. Now they think they own that name. I dont think Rock Art will have any issues proving this isnt a copyrighted name but a name that is commonly used in VT.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#5 Oct 13, 2009
Hey Hansen. UP YOURS!
Deborah McNeil

Pittsford, VT

#6 Oct 14, 2009
There was a motorcycle built in the mid eighties by Terri Hall titled the Vermonster. Mr. Hall is a resident of Brattleboro, the motorcycle was, and still may be touring. The original Vermonster had three chevy motors in it....If there is any confusion, Vermonster came before Monster....
NakedNukesHarmon ySkater

Mount Holly, VT

#7 Oct 14, 2009
I just dropped Monster Beverage a note stating I will never buy their product again. You all should do the same, even if you never bought a Monster product in your life. Let them know Corporate Amerikkka has no place in Vermont.
http://www.monsterenergy.com/web/guest/contac...
New Clear Waste

Brattleboro, VT

#8 Oct 14, 2009
Where can we send a few bucks to help Rock Art Brewery fend off this out-of-state corporate attack on a Vermont brand?
Vermont Parent

Standish, ME

#9 Oct 14, 2009
New Clear Waste wrote:
Where can we send a few bucks to help Rock Art Brewery fend off this out-of-state corporate attack on a Vermont brand?
Vermont Yankee is also a Vermont brand name. How about Rock Art Brewery send 600 Vermonster t-shirts to VY? Solidarity of Vermont workers!
Kenny

New York, NY

#10 Oct 14, 2009
Hasn't Ben & Jerry's had a Vermonster for years?

Since: Oct 09

Manchester, NH

#11 Oct 14, 2009
Some big companies 'pants' are just to f------g tight for their a-- and they throw their weight aroung threatening smaller guys.
Ignore them---this is a FREE enterprising America.
brattleboro resident

Barre, VT

#12 Oct 14, 2009
yes, I can see how a huge can that is bright green with claw marks down the side that says "Energy Drink" can be confused with a bottle that states "beer".(sarcasim here) This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard since Spike Lee tried to sue the Spike channel for using the same name. Get a life people, and leave our little state alone. I have full support for the brewery. Don't stop selling the "Vermonster"!!!!
irishdawg52

Provincetown, MA

#13 Oct 14, 2009
What idiot would confuse an energy drink in the soda (?) section with a beer (duh!) in the beer section!! Judge, there are more important things. Throw it out and move on!
Darlene

Worcester, VT

#14 Oct 14, 2009
will you give me a break this isnt something new dont you think there are better things to be doing!!!!!!!
dta

Bennington, VT

#15 Oct 15, 2009
Kenny wrote:
Hasn't Ben & Jerry's had a Vermonster for years?
I don't know if they still offer their 32-scoop sundae, but they certainly once did. I seem to remember that having a copyright attached.
Jeremy l

Burlington, VT

#16 Oct 15, 2009
I can't believe this nonsense, and hope you fight tooth and nail until the end. Remember the Ben and Jerry's Vermontster, they have not been told to change there name. Oh wait they sold out to corporate America. I would think Monster will step down and create a seperation between beer and caffeine water in a can. Good luck
Teri

Salem, NH

#17 Oct 23, 2009
Rock Art Brewery has announced that Hansen Beverage has backed off!

Read Rock Art owner Matt Nadeau's statement, which came out yesterday:

http://www.rockartbrewery.com/uploads/2009102...

Congratulations, Rock Art, and thank you for giving us hope! You've shown that small business *can* stand up to corporate giants and WIN when they are in the right.
Stash

Wellsville, NY

#18 Feb 5, 2011
My bud, Tom remembers the frame being drawn on the floor with chalk for the V-8 Vermonster. What a trip. Mike, do remember being told that "if you didn't come back with brown stains on the inside of your race suit, you done something wrong"?
ashley bostwick

Peabody, MA

#19 Aug 2, 2011
Deborah McNeil wrote:
There was a motorcycle built in the mid eighties by Terri Hall titled the Vermonster. Mr. Hall is a resident of Brattleboro, the motorcycle was, and still may be touring. The original Vermonster had three chevy motors in it....If there is any confusion, Vermonster came before Monster....
actually my father mike wood built the vermonster drag bike,not terry hall,and it had a chevy v-8 454 engine on it.
Fups

Bristol, VT

#20 Aug 17, 2011
change iot

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stowe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Patriotism to bloom at flower show (Aug '14) Aug '14 jenniferzara 3
Doug Racine out at Vermont Agency of Human Serv... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Anne O Toole 2
recommend good taxi firms in Stowe? (Aug '14) Aug '14 Ding cabbie 1
Things to do Saturday August 9 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Tour Guide 1
Vietnam: The Top of Your Bucket List (Jun '13) Aug '14 visit commie land... 7
Dummerston skeptical of solar deal (Feb '14) Aug '14 Bob Story 4
Looking for Mark Patterson (Aug '14) Aug '14 Old friend 1
Stowe Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Stowe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]