Hunting Revolutionary War graves

There are 26 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 13, 2009, titled Hunting Revolutionary War graves. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Some members of the Ohio Genealogical Society are fanning across the state to document the graves of all Revolutionary War veterans in their counties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dianne Amos

Hollywood, FL

#1 Jul 13, 2009
Would like to help in my area. Pickaway/Hocking counties.
What can I do?
Its about time we come full circle in honoring our troops.
Lila Haught

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 13, 2009
Interesting article. There are other Revolutionary War veterans in the Marlboro Cemetary on Horseshoe Road just north of Delware, OH, off Rte 42. This is an old, old cemetary that was moved around 1950 to make room for the Delaware Dam. Many of the graves date back to the 1700's.
pki1955

AOL

#3 Jul 13, 2009
Best place to start would be in Cincinnati and Marietta areas. As these were some of the earliest settlements in Ohio.
Scooter Moonpie

Shippingport, PA

#4 Jul 14, 2009
pki1955 wrote:
Best place to start would be in Cincinnati and Marietta areas. As these were some of the earliest settlements in Ohio.
Don't forget Martins Ferry.
Beulah Astle

Olympia, WA

#5 Jul 14, 2009
Great and thanks to those volunteers who are doing this . I have a Revolutionary grandfather buried in Ohio. I think in Dayton. Isaac Spining or Spinning. He was a Judge in Dayton, Ohio. Also one in Somerset, Pennsylvania. The one in Pennsylvania was marked with a plaque in 1976.
Pam Drake

Boonville, IN

#6 Jul 14, 2009
How do you get in contact with this group? I believe my 4xgreat-grandfather,a Rev.War Vet,is buried somewhere in Belmont Co.,OH.
Scooter Moonpie

Shippingport, PA

#7 Jul 14, 2009
Pam Drake wrote:
How do you get in contact with this group? I believe my 4xgreat-grandfather,a Rev.War Vet,is buried somewhere in Belmont Co.,OH.
I've spent some time in Belmont County. Old river history there.

Best wishes. A couple links that may or may not help:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1WMQ

http://www.jeffcochapter.com/Grave_Registrati...
Mary Stewart

Chicago, IL

#8 Jul 14, 2009
Hi! Great work for a great cause!
Does the group have a website? Are they 'posting' their findings somewhere?
Thanx again for your generous efforts!
ML Stewart
Pam Drake

Boonville, IN

#9 Jul 14, 2009
Scooter Moonpie wrote:
<quoted text>
I've spent some time in Belmont County. Old river history there.
Best wishes. A couple links that may or may not help:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1WMQ
http://www.jeffcochapter.com/Grave_Registrati...
Thanks Scooter for the information! I will check them out.
Margaret Strueby

Gig Harbor, WA

#10 Jul 14, 2009
My Revolutionary ancestor, Thomas Hunt, died in Huntsville, Butler County, ca 25 June 1814 and is reportedly buried on what was then his farm. The story passed down to me is that the current site,
when last visited by a relative, was a pig farm and pigs were rooting around the headstones. Congratulations to all involved in this wonderful project to locate and recognize our Patriot ancestors.
Dianne Amos

Floresville, TX

#11 Jul 14, 2009
Can the writer of this article get the web site or a contact number so others could help with this? There appears to be much intrest in volunteering.
What say you Columbus Dispatch?
Diane Glover

Annapolis, MD

#12 Jul 14, 2009
I would like to know if you have been to Maryland to document any graves that are here. I live in Cambridge,Md. Dorchester County.If you haven't done any here perhaps i could help find the Soldiers here. Please contact me at sweetpea21613@yahoo.com Diane Glover
Scooter Moonpie

Shippingport, PA

#13 Jul 14, 2009
Dianne Amos wrote:
Can the writer of this article get the web site or a contact number so others could help with this? There appears to be much intrest in volunteering.
What say you Columbus Dispatch?
Go to http://www.ogs.org/contact.php

you'll find contact info there.
Debbie Levine

Orlando, FL

#14 Jul 15, 2009
I would like more states do this.
Debbie Levine

Orlando, FL

#15 Jul 15, 2009
Diane Glover wrote:
I would like to know if you have been to Maryland to document any graves that are here. I live in Cambridge,Md. Dorchester County.If you haven't done any here perhaps i could help find the Soldiers here. Please contact me at sweetpea21613@yahoo.com Diane Glover
If there are any Revolutionary Soldiers in Orange County, I will help find them. This is too important to all of us. They need to be recognized for their bravery.
Elise Anderson

AOL

#16 Jul 15, 2009
Who do we contact with information about an ancestor who is buried in Ohio.

Justin Cole 1751-1829
Madison Village Cem., Lake Co., Ohio
Alma Miller

Mesquite, TX

#17 Jul 15, 2009
Great idea! How do I add someone to the list from Morgan county and Noble County?

A. Miller
Rob

Danville, KY

#18 Jul 20, 2009
My great-grt-grt grandfather John Crum (RWS) is buried near a fence row at the edge of a corn field in Clarke County, Indiana. He is buried on the 100 acres he was given as bounty for service in the American Revolutionary War. Only a small piece of stone marks his grave. I do not know who owns the property now, though I have been there a couple of times. I would like a Veterean's grave marker if posible ?
Rob Chapman

Danville, KY

#19 Jul 20, 2009
So far I have five multi-great grandfathers who served in the American Revolutionary War. Three on my Dad's side and Two on Mom's. And I'm sure there is at least one more, on my Father's side. Two of those are a Father and Son, William and (Son) Martin Pruitt. They along with another of my RWS, James Garrison pioneered to Illinois and are burried there. James Gano (nephew of Chaplin Revereand John Gano, one of General Washington's Chaplin) is burried in Berkley County, West Virginia. And John Crum in Indiana.
Kay Bfrandt Hughes

United States

#20 Jul 21, 2009
My 4th great grandfather Ludwig Brandt, sometimes spelled Ludwick served in the 3rd Battalion and 4th Company of Cumberland County, Pa. under Colonel Samuel Erwin and Capt. John Lamb. He was 5th Class in the Revoluntary War. Ludwig claimed his Bounty Land for payment for his service in the Revoluntionary War. This land is in Township 16, Range 16, Section 14 and is 160 acres in Perry County near Somerset, Ohio. Reading Twp. I have not been able to locate his final resting place. I would appreciate knowing if it is found.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shaker Day Camp (Jun '09) May 18 campus is great 34
Dct Apr 29 Ant 1
Brandon Cisar - pedophille trash ! Apr '15 thad 5
Review: COX Autocraft LLC Apr '15 jessica harbarger 1
News Arron Agler dies outside Akron hospital after a... (Jul '09) Mar '15 nic conrad 165
News Woman Heard Screaming, Shooting Man In Her Home... Mar '15 Bob Hoch 3
Review: R.B. Thomas Electric Co., Inc. Mar '15 J Varga 1
More from around the web

Stow People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]