Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

Judged:

I recently was passing by Emporia and got pulled over by a cop for speeding. He claimed I was going 65 in a 45mph zone. Funny thing was he was sitting behind the 45 mph sign waiting for cars to pass by who did not slam on there brakes. My question is, is Emporia officials that poor where they have to stoop down to this level to get revenues in. I have read in numerous forumns on the net that there has been plenty if incidents like this.
just tired of complaints

Emporia, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Judged:

Well, were you going 65? Once you past the sign you are suppose to be going 45mph. The sign isn't where you begin to slow down. Everyone complains about Emporia and speeding. I lived there for the first 20 years of my life and visit regularly. I've been pulled over once for speeding and received a warning and yes, I was speeding. However, nearly everyone I've ever heard complain was actually speeding and admits it. If you were speeding... get over yourself.
stop crying

Summerville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

pay the ticket and stop whining! If there was a wreck there, you would be the first to say the police weren't slowing people down.
BS Cops

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

I was traveling on I-95, going 70 mph in a 65 mph zone. The cop claimed i was approaching 80 mph and gave me a ticket for 80 - even when he told me he did not "clock" me at 80. I also have awitness in the car that looked at speedometer as soon as she saw the cop and leaned back to relax because i was going 70. Now - i would not complain if I was anywhere near 80, but I was not. People have valid complaints of this area for over-inflated speeds.
borninva

Capitol Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
I recently was passing by Emporia and got pulled over by a cop for speeding. He claimed I was going 65 in a 45mph zone. Funny thing was he was sitting behind the 45 mph sign waiting for cars to pass by who did not slam on there brakes. My question is, is Emporia officials that poor where they have to stoop down to this level to get revenues in. I have read in numerous forumns on the net that there has been plenty if incidents like this.
Just to answer your question...YES
this is my town

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

the speed limit is 65 0n I95 not 70mph so don't think its a bunch of BS you were speeding and got caught.dawg pay your fine or come back to court and fight it but remember we stp speeders
StopCorruptionin Emporia

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

All:

Just yesterday morning, while my cruise control was set to 68 mph, a police officer pulled me and my wife over in Emporia. He claimed I was doing 80 mph. No chance!

It was refreshing to know that others are in the same boat. But we can fight back against corruption in Emporia, VA. This cottage industry - especially on interstate highways profiling out of state travelers - is a disgusting abuse of the public trust.

But we can fight back.

Here's how:

1. Email the Metro Editor for the Richmond Times Dispatch and tell him what is happening. Ask these reporters to investigate the Corruption in Emporia:

Clay, Pauline
Editor
Richmond Times-Dispatch
[EMAIL="pclay@timesdispat ch.com"]pclay@timesdispat ch.com[/EMAIL]

Hallman, Randy
Deputy Metro Editor
Richmond Times-Dispatch
[EMAIL="rhallman@timesdis patch.com"]rhallman@times dispatch.com[/EMAIL]

Kelleher, Edward
Deputy Metro Editor
Richmond Times-Dispatch
[EMAIL="ekelleher@timesdi spatch.com"]ekelleher@tim esdispatch.com[/EMAIL]

Pritchard, Keith
Deputy Metro Editor
Richmond Times-Dispatch
[EMAIL="kpritchard@timesd ispatch.com"]kpritchard@t imesdispatch.com[/EMAIL]

Taylor, Andrew
Editor
Richmond Times-Dispatch
[EMAIL="ataylor@timesdisp atch.com"]ataylor@timesdi spatch.com[/EMAIL]

2. Call the US Attorney's office in Richmond and ask them to investigate corruption in Emporia. Call 804-819-540. Click here to learn more:[URL=" http://justice.gov/usao/vae/usattorney.html&q... ;]United States Attorney's Office - Welcome to the Easterm District of Virginia[/URL].

Under their mandate, they can investigate public corruption.

NO JUSTICE! NO PEACE!
Resident of Emporia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Lived in Emporia for the last 4 yrs and have had conversations with the police officers in this community about speeding on I-95. Everyone of them that I've talked to have told me that they generally won't pull you over unless you are going over 7 mph of the posted speed limit. A good friend of mine religiously sets his cruise control at 72 mph and has NEVER been pulled over. Yes the highways in the Emporia area are well patrolled...I've seen upwards of 10 patrol cars in a 10 mile stretch.
Bottomline, don't speed (I don't practice what I preach). The officers are just out there doing their job. Whether your doing 1 mph over the limit or 15 mph, you're still speeding.
There's no big conspiracy here or corruption as far as catching speeders on I-95 (or US-58).
Look at the posts, everyone has admitted to speeding...you choose to speed, deal with the consequences when you get caught and quit whinning.
Portsmouth Native

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2008

stop crying wrote:
pay the ticket and stop whining! If there was a wreck there, you would be the first to say the police weren't slowing people down.
Well what about driving a 2003 Mercedes SUV doing the speed limit and getting pulled over for suspicion of having tint to dark. Factory tint. Someone is hungry for finances. If you are obeying the speed limit and get unexpectantly pulled for something else something is wrong.
Wow some got brave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

thanks stop for the info.
I Got Out

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

Judged:

Lived in Emporia from 1year old until 18. They are poor, backwards and of COURSE they get a stream of revenue from tickets. Anyone with any brains gets out as soon as they can and it leaves them with a bunch of ignorant people and the "good ole boy" network running things.
alberto soliz FL to NY

Floral Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2009

Judged:

i was traveling north I95about well behind another car and to my left i see we both passedby a charger patrol car. the officer Rose pulls both of us over. last i saw i was going 70-73 mph. how does this radar scanner work? can this radar actually login both of our speeds? guess what the other car was also from NY. reply to email naci9726@juno.com court is 4/2/09 at greensville county, emporia.what will my diffence be? i was speeding, but the guy in front of me im sure was hitting the 86 mark not me.
observer from TX

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Of course you got over it ... you only got a warning not a ticket ..... I bet you'll be whining when you are falsely accused of speeding and get a ticket for it.
just tired of complaints wrote:
Well, were you going 65? Once you past the sign you are suppose to be going 45mph. The sign isn't where you begin to slow down. Everyone complains about Emporia and speeding. I lived there for the first 20 years of my life and visit regularly. I've been pulled over once for speeding and received a warning and yes, I was speeding. However, nearly everyone I've ever heard complain was actually speeding and admits it. If you were speeding... get over yourself.
observer from TX

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Of course you got over it ... you only got a warning not a ticket ..... I bet you'll be whining when you are falsely accused of speeding and get a ticket for it.
observer from TX

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

As a visitor and passing by Emporia, I was advised by a police officer (from another VA city) to STAY a few miles below the speed limit because even 2 miles over the limit will get you pulled over. The officer added that even police officer from near by town got tickets in Emporia. No fraternalship exists in Emporia Police Dept. Just cash in on the speed limit.
mrsmax

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

The new game in town is "failure to yield to a parked emergency vehicle"
On I-95 in the Emporia area we always drive below the speed limit because we've seen how many cars get pulled over there and have been warned about the area.
But we were stopped and ticketed for not shifting to the left lane or "dramatically slowing down" as we passed a stopped police car with flashing lights.
The police officer was on the far hand side of the other car giving the motorist a ticket. Because there was a full line of cars in the left lane preventing a lane shift we slowed down as much as we could without having the car behind us hit us and were stopped several minutes later. When we said we were abiding by the speed limit, assuming that's why we were being stopped, the cop claimed that was an admission that we were going 65 mph. Have no idea what the fine is and am debating going back to Emporia to plead not guilty
living here

Emporia, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2009

Judged:

I am currently a resident of Emporia. I once was pulled over and given a ticket
because my tail lights were out, a fuse had blown and I was only one block from my house . I told the Officer it was probably a fuse and I would fix it as soon as arrived at my house. He gave me a ticket for improper equipment and informed me that I could pay it or I could bring a receipt to court and it would be dismissed. He told me it was a safety issue so he had to write it. Then he sent me along my way. I went to court and produced my receipt for a 2 dollar pack of fuses . The judge dismissed it , but made me pay the 70.00 for cost of court. the ticket was only 90.00. Dont be fooled its not about law enforcement , and its not about public safety, if it was about safety why did he let me drive home , why didn't he follow me the 1 block ? Its all about revenue, plain and simple.

Since: Jun 09

Florence, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

anonymous wrote:
Its well known that Emporia''s sole source of revenue id from speeding and various other types of tickets. I recemmend people stop spending money in Emporia as a protest. They don't deserve your money!

Since: Jun 09

Florence, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

It seems there are only a few ways to fight unjust actions by officers in this area. Most police officers in other cities operate above board and don't unjustly prey upon drivers as you described. One option is to create a class action law suit to investigate the practices of this area. I feel a more more powerful option is a ONLINE CAMPAIGN to encourage as many people as you can to stop spending any money in Emporia, Virginia. You can start by documenting details of your experience in every online forum you can reach on the web. Its a great and powerful tool! Share with others your experience and encourage them to stop spending money on fuel, food and any other service in Emporia, VA when they pass through this town.

This will significantly impact possible revenue they will be able to collect from travelers. Send them a clear message!! There are hundreds, if not thousands; of online forums, to spread the messsgae. I would targe NC, SC, GA and FL since these are the typical travelers that pass through Emporia, VA. They dont deserve your money!

Normally I wouldn't encourage such behavior, but what you describe and what I have persoanlly experience seems to be unfair to motorist passing through Emporia, VA.
smartdriver

Annapolis, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

The problem isn't speeding. It's having a law called, "blocking the passing lane" if you're under the speed limit. If you're over the limit by 1 mph, you're speeding. If you're under the limit by 1mph, you're blocking. Everyone would obey speed limits if there were no such law as "blocking the left passing lane" on a highway. On the contrary, nobody would block the passing lane, if there were no speed limit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Stony Creek Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Stony Creek People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••