Centereach home burnt to a shell Thursday -

Full story: Newsday

A Centereach home was burnt to a shell Thursday morning, leaving one family with almost nothing but the clothes on their back.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of126
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Oscar the Grouch

Flushing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Oh yeah burn baby burn!
Fact or Fiction

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

We dont have manned Fire stations so how would you expect a response any quicker. Maybe we should have a small paid force so that the stations would be manned and they could at least have made the scene quicker. If Newsday has the times correxct thats 16 minutes to respond, how can you do any better ? Its sad what happened to this family but you cant try and blame the Fire Department unless they dont show up at all. Sounds like the fire was set, flames outside on the deck inching towards the house ??
bored

Farmingville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Fact or Fiction wrote:
...Sounds like the fire was set, flames outside on the deck inching towards the house ??
wonderful observation.
seriously
long islander

Indian Trail, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

ok no one should be bad mouthing Centereach. not that any one is yet. but its a volunteer dept. and it took the assisant chief 2 mins to get there and it took the truck 14 mins from cheif got there or 16 mins from the time of time of the call. n from what im reading centereach didn a very good job.
heres the story on thier website:http://www.centereachf d.org/LatestNewsStory.php?nSI= 1158983713 it has pictures of the fire also
concerned neighbor

Stony Brook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

The firetrucks and emergency vehicles that were in on our street Oxhead Rd Centereach which was blocked off until around 9 am were mostly Selden Fire dept....Centereach fire department is possibly 2 miles up the road this should not have taken so long
the truth hurts

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

16 minutes is way too long .it takes franklin square and munson average 4 minutes to be on scene.thats a difference of 12 minutes.12 minutes is a long time when it comes to a fire.the fire department should be held accountable for the lack of response time,who cares if the assistant chief got there first,if he wasnt in a fire truck holding a hose then he was useless
local

Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

concerned neighbor wrote:
The firetrucks and emergency vehicles that were in on our street Oxhead Rd Centereach which was blocked off until around 9 am were mostly Selden Fire dept....Centereach fire department is possibly 2 miles up the road this should not have taken so long
Monday morning quarterbacking sucks. Are you a volunteer?
Yeah Right

White Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

long islander wrote:
ok no one should be bad mouthing Centereach. not that any one is yet. but its a volunteer dept. and it took the assisant chief 2 mins to get there and it took the truck 14 mins from cheif got there or 16 mins from the time of time of the call. n from what im reading centereach didn a very good job.
heres the story on thier website:http://www.centereachf d.org/LatestNewsStory.php?nSI= 1158983713 it has pictures of the fire also
How about you come out from behind your computer and VOLUNTEER. These men and woman were ASLEEP just like you and your family at 5:00AM. Except, while you continue sleeping, they get up from a sound sleep and have to get dressed. These volunteers have to drive from their house to the station, wait for their crew and then drive to the scene. That acounts for the 16 minutes. It's amazing that these BRAVE men and women go to these extremes, and risk their lives for people just like you EVERYDAY! Many of them are up more than two times a night going on calls. It is also not their fault that there wasn't a fire hydrant for three blocks!!! How about you try running a hose three blocks away, then running back to fight the fire. They could have been firefighters killed in this SUSPICIOUS fire, yet some people can only complain and blame. A house and contents can be replaced...a life cannot!

From what the ARSON SQUAD says, IT LOOKS VERY SUSPICIOUS!
Yeah Right

White Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

local wrote:
<quoted text>Monday morning quarterbacking sucks. Are you a volunteer?
Well put...Absolutely true.
These volunteers risk their lives for NO PAY. Something these cowards behind their computers aren't BRAVE enough to do!
The system is broken

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you come out from behind your computer and VOLUNTEER. These men and woman were ASLEEP just like you and your family at 5:00AM. Except, while you continue sleeping, they get up from a sound sleep and have to get dressed. These volunteers have to drive from their house to the station, wait for their crew and then drive to the scene. That acounts for the 16 minutes. It's amazing that these BRAVE men and women go to these extremes, and risk their lives for people just like you EVERYDAY! Many of them are up more than two times a night going on calls. It is also not their fault that there wasn't a fire hydrant for three blocks!!! How about you try running a hose three blocks away, then running back to fight the fire. They could have been firefighters killed in this SUSPICIOUS fire, yet some people can only complain and blame. A house and contents can be replaced...a life cannot!
THank you for proving my point. When the vollies have to get out of bed, race with their blue lights to the house, bunker up, drive to the scene, hit a hydrant and then start pouring water on the flame. When seconds and minutes count who is going to get there quicker the vollies in bed asleep or a paid crew in the firehouse? The population density of LI REQUIRES a paid system. When you need the foundation to be saved, the vollies are a good choice. When you want to save the structure you need paid FF's in house, plain and simple. You get what you pay for, the only problem is the vollies are squandering more than million dollar budgets on race trucks, chief's conventions, commissioner's conventions, installation dinners and big screen TVs and a stocked bar. Use that money for salaried FFs and maybe you wouldn't lose everything but the foundation. PS, been there done that volunteer thing. Way too many little men on a power trip who are into it for the perks and their egos. The system will change when a few more important people die and the state wakes up and eliminates the law creating the Fire District fiefdoms.
PC Police

Haledon, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

The basements tenants probably had their apartment packed with flammables
Sarah Lombardi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Judged:

I am a neighbor of the house that burned down on Gaynor. I was awoken at 5:15 to my sister saying that our neighbor's house was on fire. My mother had first awoken because she heard a noise. She got up to go to turn off the air conditioner because she thought it was broken. When she got to the bottom of the stairs she saw an orange glow and saw that the neighbors house was on fire and so she woke me and my 5 brothers and sisters up. My father had left for work at 4:55 and there was no fire then. We rushed outside at 5:20 to see what was happening. By 5:40 the whole house was engulfed and there was no sign of the fire being put out. It seemed like when the firefighters came they just stared at it. It wasn't until 5:55-6 when they finally took out their hoses. This is a prime example of why we need on-call fire fighters. If there were people who this was their job they would've been prepared and maybe those people would still have their home. It was a terrible thing to watch this house burn to the ground and there is nothing any of us could've done. Police told us that it started in the basement. Their friends talked to me this morning saying it came from the deck. The fire marshalls were outside aroud 10:30 with a dog searching for the cause. He asked me and my sister what we heard and saw. My mom called the fire department as soon as she saw the orange glow, but someone had already called it in. If it was already called in why did it take so long? From the souds of it, my family thinks it was caused by a cigarette. If this doesn't make you quit, I don't know what other kind of proof you need.
Sarah Lombardi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Above it says I live in Ronkonkoma, but I live in Centereach on St. James St.
Dear Sarah

Mahwah, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Oh my God that's unbelievable!! You're leaving out valuable information, though. 1. What KIND of noise did your mother hear? 2. Have you had previous problems with that air conditioner? 3. Did your mom put on her slippers before waking you and your siblings? 4. Did you have orange juice for breakfast?
long islander

Indian Trail, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>
i will volunteer one day. but just not currently in a few yrs maybe 5 i will be a volunteer . n i will be on thoes trucks
Sad

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

I think people are missing the point. No one is criticizing the vollies, they do the best they can, but it's not enough. The problem is with the system itself. There should be paid round the clock firefighters staffing firehouses through Suffolk county. I live in Centereach, and if it were my house on fire, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to wait for 20 minutes before help arrived. Any firefighter will tell you the first 5 minutes is the most important. After 10 minutes, it's pretty much a lost cause.
Sarah Lombardi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Dear Sarah wrote:
Oh my God that's unbelievable!! You're leaving out valuable information, though. 1. What KIND of noise did your mother hear? 2. Have you had previous problems with that air conditioner? 3. Did your mom put on her slippers before waking you and your siblings? 4. Did you have orange juice for breakfast?
1. My mom heard something beeping, maybe the fire alarms next door?
2. no we havent had problems
3. no, she doesnt wear slippers
4. i hate orange juice

The point is, these people lost their home and it could've been saved if we had on call firefighters.
okay

Oyster Bay, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

hummm, watch them turn this around and be like two adult tenants in a basement apartment, do I see a FINE coming there way on top of this.
Sarah Lombardi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

WHY IS CENTEREACH TAKING PICTURES OF THE FIRE INSTEAD OF PUTTING THE FIRE OUT?!!?!
long islander

Indian Trail, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Sarah Lombardi wrote:
<quoted text>
1. My mom heard something beeping, maybe the fire alarms next door?
2. no we havent had problems
3. no, she doesnt wear slippers
4. i hate orange juice
The point is, these people lost their home and it could've been saved if we had on call firefighters.
no it couldnt. have you read the article. assiassant chief Losquadrio(sp?) said when he arrived 2 mins after the call the house was fully involved. meaning the house was totaly on fire.

also for thoes of you saying paid firefighters. you can do that or say on this day so n so needs to say after and and work nights. so depts in ny do it and some in nc do.

also for you saying it took too long think of this. ohsa requires atleast three volunteers on a truck for it to leave. so next time you are out and you see blue lights move over and let them pass they are trying to get to the fire house. if you want somthing done about response time let it start with you. if you move over may others will maybe they wont but you can know you did somthing to help. this also goes for fire trucks and other emergency vechiles. they need you to get out of thier way so they can get to the call.

~my dad is a former centereach volunteer and so is my uncle n i hope to be one in the future~

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of126
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stony Brook Discussions

Search the Stony Brook Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 20 min -USA-1 110,392
Straub's Market 1941 (Nov '11) 4 hr Silent But Deadly Dudley 3
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 23 hr Get real 6,195
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Wed Georgia 1,278
fios tv (Oct '09) Apr 20 Joe 2
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Apr 20 positronium 6,290
Animal Hoarder Busted on Long Island (Apr '13) Apr 18 thr 23
•••

Freeze Warning for Suffolk County was issued at April 24 at 7:13PM EDT

•••
•••

Stony Brook News Video

•••
•••

Stony Brook Jobs

•••
•••
•••