i want the old brentwood back
Peter Joes Pizza

Kissimmee, FL

#1344 Aug 6, 2014
I remember that. The donuts were delivered to Hill's supermarket
the loading dock was on Timberline Dr. The Principal Was Carmine
Pulio and the asst. was John Galaris who just recently passed away.
The Seventh Grade Center was just up the up the road from my dad's Pizza Place. The School used to order all the Pizza for the Dance's.
Jewel_and_Kaymac k

United States

#1345 Aug 8, 2014
Wow! You're a true Brentwood-ite... I recall my brother and I driving to your father's pizza place to pick up a pie, good pizza. Do you recall when he closed the store? And, while we're on the subject of food... I also recall riding my bike with my best friend to the downtown McDonald's where we used our pennysaver coupon for a buy one-get-one free Big Mac special; back when Macs where 80 cents. Ah the good ol' days.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1346 Aug 8, 2014
I had to laugh at the McD's story. Being an explorer scout, after our meetings a bunch of us would go to McD's, for 1 dollar and a penny, we bought a Big Mac (.55), a regular fry (.20) and coke (.20), plus tax! The Big Mac came in a red cardboard box with a cardboard collar around it to hold it together. I thought it was the end of the world when the Big Mac went up to .65 cents!

Remember buying Drakes "Ring Dings", they were about 3 1/2" round with delicious dark chocolate icing and fresh cake?. We also used to buy the "super bubble gum" from 7/11 on Heyward St that came in a 12 inch length with different flavors, "jaw breakers" the size of a billards ball and "sweetharts" the size of a yo-yo.
Skip Mastermaker

Mira Loma, CA

#1347 Aug 17, 2014
mtmorelli wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there...Did you live on 4th St or 9th Ave. I apologize but your name doesn't ring a bell. But you nailed it...That was exactly when I would jump the fence. Do you remember John Dunlop, Henry Mastermaker, Kenny Schroder, The Testa's, Ricky Meyers??? Names I haven't thought of in years...Playing handball up against the school wall?
Hello all Skip here ....hope all is well ...I jumped that fence a few times myself
always a brentwood girl

Tunkhannock, PA

#1348 Aug 23, 2014
Just went back to Brentwood for my 35th high school reunion (Sonderling). I had a great time seeing family and old friends.It is not the Brentwood that I have such fond memories of.It is no longer a community..you can never go back...we were very lucky to live in a place where everyone watched out for each other.All adults were your parents and there was a sense of pride in our community.Our parents were all young and just starting out but had enough pride in themselves to let it show......keep the great memories coming
East Brentwood girl

Bay Shore, NY

#1349 Aug 23, 2014
Grew up in Brentwood in the 70s graduated Ross in '86. I say all the time we had the best childhood, so many wonderful memories. Movie theatre double features parents would drop us off for the whole afternoon. Joes pizza was the best, buying 5 cent candy at 7-11 and selling them in our neighbors handmade wooden candy stand. Playing on the lawn at LILCO and always getting kicked off by security. Riding bikes all day in summer only coming home for dinner and then back out to "call on" our friends. I remember Mortys drug store on 2nd ave- we would ride our bikes there to buy cards and look at the stuffed animals then go to Joes for a 50 cent slice.Walking to East Jr high, was there for the hostage situation in '83. Remember the whole senior class cutting out to eat lunch at Mcds and the principal there telling us to get back to school. I recently drove my mom back to Brentwood for a dentist appt- and we did the tour of our old neighborhood near Grand Blvd. Literally sick to my stomach to see my old house in the horrendous condition it was in. Same roof as when we left 20 yrs ago, huge hole on front lawn, broken fence. My father took so much pride taking care of that house, we didn't have landscapers or contractors doing the work he did it all. I don't care who lives there- there's no reason to have your house look like that. What a disgrace- but my childhood memories can never be erased.

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

#1350 Aug 24, 2014
East Brentwood girl wrote:
Grew up in Brentwood in the 70s graduated Ross in '86. I say all the time we had the best childhood, so many wonderful memories. Movie theatre double features parents would drop us off for the whole afternoon. Joes pizza was the best, buying 5 cent candy at 7-11 and selling them in our neighbors handmade wooden candy stand. Playing on the lawn at LILCO and always getting kicked off by security. Riding bikes all day in summer only coming home for dinner and then back out to "call on" our friends. I remember Mortys drug store on 2nd ave- we would ride our bikes there to buy cards and look at the stuffed animals then go to Joes for a 50 cent slice.Walking to East Jr high, was there for the hostage situation in '83. Remember the whole senior class cutting out to eat lunch at Mcds and the principal there telling us to get back to school. I recently drove my mom back to Brentwood for a dentist appt- and we did the tour of our old neighborhood near Grand Blvd. Literally sick to my stomach to see my old house in the horrendous condition it was in. Same roof as when we left 20 yrs ago, huge hole on front lawn, broken fence. My father took so much pride taking care of that house, we didn't have landscapers or contractors doing the work he did it all. I don't care who lives there- there's no reason to have your house look like that. What a disgrace- but my childhood memories can never be erased.
Hey, I did not graduate with you (Hills West), but we went to East together. I was also there for the hostage situation. Mr. Wicks lived up the street from us in Franklin Avenue. Brentwood was one of many stops for me.
Peter Joes Pizza

Kissimmee, FL

#1351 Aug 24, 2014
Hello Everyone ,
I Grew up on the South East Side of Brentwood from 1968 to 1990
Brentwood was a great town and a great place to grow up. I graduated
Brentwood Ross High School in 1982. I have fond memories and pictures
of that time. We had so many great people living there. I have read every comment
since page one and Yes I do remember the hostage situation over at East Jr. I my self
had one family member in that class with that guy. Many of you would Remember Me Best
from Joe's Pizza, Joe is My Father. and I have told him of all the kind comments. And would
like to thank each and everyone for those kind words. Thank You. Peter
Jewel_and_Kaymac k

Irvine, CA

#1352 Aug 25, 2014
One summer night while my friends and I sat on the corner of Jewel and Armstrong with nothing to do one of us came up with the idea of climbing the hedge between the houses on Armstrong and Speed Streets, the block that ended on Jewel. The hedge which grew in the foot wide space between 5 foot fences on each property was dense and gave us plenty of support. As the six of us began approaching the center of the first house the owner turned on his porch light, opened to screen door, and looked around wondering why he was hearing voices coming from his backyard, luckily we froze when we saw the porch light come one and buried ourselves amongst the leaves and the owner did not spot us. After the owner re-entered his house we quietly began moving on… managing our clandestine hedge-climb past five houses before reaching my friend’s three foot fence…. You can see the fence on Google maps, however, like much of the rest of Brentwood, home ownership pride is missing and hedges, fences and homes have long deteriorated.
Jewel_and_Kaymac k

Irvine, CA

#1353 Aug 25, 2014
What ever happened to the dentist that used to have an office near the corner of Broadway and Second Avenue?
East Brentwood girl

Bay Shore, NY

#1354 Aug 25, 2014
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I did not graduate with you (Hills West), but we went to East together. I was also there for the hostage situation. Mr. Wicks lived up the street from us in Franklin Avenue. Brentwood was one of many stops for me.
That was a crazy situation my best friend at the time was in that classroom and I knew the guy who got shot. Mrs Wicks (the mother) was my Twirling coach and years later when I saw her in Macys she recognized me and asked how my friends were. Felt bad for her she seemed like a nice lady.

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

#1355 Aug 26, 2014
East Brentwood girl wrote:
<quoted text>That was a crazy situation my best friend at the time was in that classroom and I knew the guy who got shot. Mrs Wicks (the mother) was my Twirling coach and years later when I saw her in Macys she recognized me and asked how my friends were. Felt bad for her she seemed like a nice lady.
Yeah, Luis Burgos was the one who got shot. We are FB friends. I never met the Wicks folks, but he did live up the street from us. He treated me quite well when he substituted for Mr. Lazio's history class.
Peter Joes Pizza

Kissimmee, FL

#1356 Aug 26, 2014
Dr.Henry H Gazes on the corner of 2nd ave and Broadway. I used to live right after the
firehouse on Broadway. His office went up in flames one night. He then Moved to South
Hampton.
Peter

Kissimmee, FL

#1357 Aug 26, 2014
My sister in law was in that Class and experienced the whole incident
Jewel_and_Kaymac k

Irvine, CA

#1358 Aug 26, 2014
My family moved to Brentwood around 1974. We were as far East as you could get in Brentwood, two houses west of Islip Avenue. One summer evenings when I was watching TV downstairs I heard a ruckus starting outside of my house; my brother, my father and I could not believe what we were seeing when we looked out the front window. Two groups of teenagers were staring each other down with threatening looks, one a group of black kids from CI and one group of white kids from Brentwood, many of whom I knew from high school. Right smack in front of my house I was looking at 50 plus people on each side and a potential riot. My father told my brother to move the car off the street and park it in the driveway; I guess that was the limit of his interest of what was going in. After about 10 minutes of starring each other down the cops showed up and that ended the hullabaloo without a punch being thrown. Funny thing was within a year or two black families began moving in to my neighborhood, some which I knew and befriended, unfortunately, many families had no interest in the changing neighborhood and began to leave. I lived there until 1980 when I graduated from Brentwood High School and went to college in California where I still live.
Joe

Bay Shore, NY

#1359 Aug 28, 2014
Michael wrote:
I went to Oak Park school in Brentwood (67-73). I went back there to visit in 2005 and I was amazed the place hardly changed! The portables were still there along with everything else I could remember. My teachers:
K- Ms. Cummings
1- Ms. Adams
2- Ms. Smith
3- Ms. Stefotorie (I'm sure this is mis-spelled)
4- Ms. Gorman
5- Ms. Barr
6- Mr. O'Connor (Anyone remember the Gettysburg Address?)
I remember the gym teacher, Mr. Quigley and other teachers, such as Ms. Brofy and Ms. Della Bella.
I grew up on Massachusetts Ave and remember walking to school most days. Great memories.
That's crazy, I went to Oak Park in the early 80's and had Ms. Cummings, Ms. Smith, Ms. Seferrotorie, Ms. Gorman and had to read the Gettysburg Address at some special thing we did lol talk about flashbacks.
Ken W

Brooklyn, NY

#1360 Aug 31, 2014
ASJ Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this Ken from Handcock
Yes, Ken from Hancock street. who are you? do you remember Will Simmens or his brother Tom and do you know what happened to either?

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#1361 Sep 1, 2014
Just an update, I found my best friend LIZ one year ago and she is still on Long island in Suffolk County. I have been searching for her since 2007, and we are now on facebook. Still catching up on old times and the great fun we had.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1363 Oct 26, 2014
Some clown from 25 Kaymac St just arrested for sticking up local gas stations. David Murphy, 30 years old.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1364 Oct 26, 2014
Does anyone remember old Doc Reed? I think he had an office in his house in Central Islip. Of course, my mom hated to bring us to the doctor unless we really needed to go. I'm pretty sure there had to be lots of blood, etc. He was always very kind to my family-I don't think he charged us most of the time. He actually came to the house once because I had a terrible sunburn my grandmother thought was life-threatening (Mom wasn't home-otherwise I just would have been yelled at haha). After he said I'd live, I was yelled at by my grandmother for ruining my skin.

If you grew up in the 60's and 70's thats what happened when you got hurt. Need stitches? You're were an idiot for cutting yourself. Break a bone? Didn't you realize your folks had better things to do besides going to the emergency room? Get sick? For God's sake wash for hands for a change.

There was also a Dr. Quakenbush (spelling?) who diagnosed and treated my little sister's diabetes. My sister loved him because he was also so understanding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stony Brook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Lake Grove 23 hr seemesmile 6
News Parts of private Cedar Beach accessible to public (Feb '09) Fri Ms Kay 30
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Jul 2 Down South 121,920
News Smithtown parishioners planning protest of chur... (Aug '07) Jul 2 Anthony 1,814
Debate: Drinking Age - Ronkonkoma, NY (Dec '11) Jul 1 my opinion 2
Subway (May '14) Jul 1 Food for thought 4
Coffman & Mcnichol law firm Jun 29 Starlight24 1
More from around the web

Stony Brook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Stony Brook Mortgages