i want the old brentwood back

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

#1257 Feb 13, 2014
Georgia wrote:
<quoted text>Very sorry you were abused as a child. Some people should NEVER have kids. Or dogs, or cats, etc.

So glad didn't listen to that jerk! Continue to have a great life.....
God Bless you Georgia.
craig brush

Fort Valley, GA

#1258 Feb 16, 2014
Riding bikes on riddle street hills.heck being able yo ridebikes all over town anytime day and night. CHarlies hotdog stand on spur drive. The best hotdogs in the world
Georgia

Sparta, NJ

#1259 Feb 18, 2014
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>
God Bless you Georgia.
How the heck are you, "I hate Syracuse"? I could really use the blessing, ha ha.

I'm really glad you and others brought up the fact that life can be tough enough for kids without "adults" trying to make it worse. Rather than just complaining about it, you did something about it.
Georgia

Sparta, NJ

#1260 Feb 18, 2014
One of the very best things about Brentwood was how you could ride your bike all over the place. We would just get a wild hair, and decide to ride out somewhere just to see if anything more exciting was happening. Remember when it was cool to have a banana seat? Hopefully you're too young to remember.

We had to ride our bikes: My mother never drove us anywhere unless she had to be there also!

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#1261 Feb 18, 2014
Georgia wrote:
<quoted text>
How the heck are you, "I hate Syracuse"? I could really use the blessing, ha ha.
I'm really glad you and others brought up the fact that life can be tough enough for kids without "adults" trying to make it worse. Rather than just complaining about it, you did something about it.
Thank you for the kind words Georgia, but I must tell you; I am a miserable failure as a father and husband. In spite of my challenges and accomplishments, I have personally failed to figure out what the hell makes my wife and children tick. I know that I am an ‘over-achiever’. And, my personal success are directly related to my back ground as an orphan. What troubles me is that I have a child who is struggling emotionally likely due to the pressure that I have applied. I have a son who lies (a lot), probably for the same reasons. And, a wife who is lazy as all hell.

So, where I am pleased with my ability to over-come challenges from the childhood, I am very disappointed that I have failed to transfer that into building meaningful relationships with my children and wife. I am a Type A personality to the core. And, two of my four children do not resonate well as a result. My wife admits, she went to college to find a husband. So, she had every intention on relaxing with her MRS degree.

So, I share this so I am not hiding behind past success. Over-coming abuse, foster-care, etc… is one accomplishment. But, having the expectation that all others should be able to do the same has been my greatest failure. I just realized it this weekend when my oldest child ‘blew up’.
Georgia

Sparta, NJ

#1262 Feb 20, 2014
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for the kind words Georgia, but I must tell you; I am a miserable failure as a father and husband. In spite of my challenges and accomplishments, I have personally failed to figure out what the hell makes my wife and children tick. I know that I am an ‘over-achiever’. And, my personal success are directly related to my back ground as an orphan. What troubles me is that I have a child who is struggling emotionally likely due to the pressure that I have applied. I have a son who lies (a lot), probably for the same reasons. And, a wife who is lazy as all hell.
So, where I am pleased with my ability to over-come challenges from the childhood, I am very disappointed that I have failed to transfer that into building meaningful relationships with my children and wife. I am a Type A personality to the core. And, two of my four children do not resonate well as a result. My wife admits, she went to college to find a husband. So, she had every intention on relaxing with her MRS degree.
So, I share this so I am not hiding behind past success. Over-coming abuse, foster-care, etc… is one accomplishment. But, having the expectation that all others should be able to do the same has been my greatest failure. I just realized it this weekend when my oldest child ‘blew up’.
Abuse is the gift that just keeps giving isn't it? If we didn't learn anything from having a tough childhood, then it was all for nothing. Your wife and kids aren't you. To judge them based on your experiences isn't fair. I am a blunt person, so I apologize in advance. You don't have the right to be a dick because of what happened to you. I hope everything turns out ok.

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#1263 Feb 21, 2014
Georgia wrote:
<quoted text> Abuse is the gift that just keeps giving isn't it? If we didn't learn anything from having a tough childhood, then it was all for nothing. Your wife and kids aren't you. To judge them based on your experiences isn't fair. I am a blunt person, so I apologize in advance. You don't have the right to be a dick because of what happened to you. I hope everything turns out ok.
and it is finally starting to sink in. Do not worry about sounding harsh. I needed to hear that. I am finally starting to get it. I am the one who needs to change. And, I totally agree with your assessment.
Georgia

Sparta, NJ

#1264 Feb 22, 2014
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>and it is finally starting to sink in. Do not worry about sounding harsh. I needed to hear that. I am finally starting to get it. I am the one who needs to change. And, I totally agree with your assessment.
I really do hope everything turns out ok. Life isn't fair most of the time. All we can do is our best everyday. Treat people the very best we can. It's all anyone can do.

I was lucky to marry someone who never took any of my crap! It sounds corny, but there are people who have lived through worse. It's not denial to let the bad parts of our lives stay behind.

For me, chewing over the same bad things just didn't help. So, I left those things where they belonged- behind. Why should an abuser have one more moment of my life? Or affect my children?

My best to you and your family. Hope your abuser is rotting alone somewhere.
Blondell

Bradenton, FL

#1266 Mar 8, 2014
carol wrote:
<quoted text>Her full name was Ivy Cover Ramsey Rosenthal.She passed away around 10 years ago. She also taught me and my sister tennis,she was an ex pro in tennis. I went to Sonderling and graduated in 79. I moved to PA 4 years ago from Long Island. I realy miss the old Brentwood people. My mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't been back. I have alot of good memories of Brentwood. Always a Brentwood girl at heart!!!!!!!
Hi Carol: Wanted you to know that Mrs. Ivy Cover Ramsay Rosenthal is still alive and still living in Brentwood. she is my aunt and she has been an inspiration to me also. Thanks for your lovely comment about her. Sorry to know that your mom passed away.
s5d56bsbs

Vestal, NY

#1267 Mar 10, 2014
I miss the bakery and the butcher boy the only friend I had besides siezk from the junker apartments sweet guy hope all is well in Brentwood tonight
s5d56bsbs

Vestal, NY

#1268 Mar 10, 2014
I miss brentwood
alice

Cresskill, NJ

#1269 Mar 22, 2014
Laynep wrote:
My parents owned Tab cleaners on Haywood Street, just down from the 7/11. We lived there from '56 till '72. It was a great place to grow up. Great neighborhoods, a downtown that was the bomb. How many spalding balls did we steal from Grants or Katrinas Deli on Brentwood Road in Bay Shore. Havent been there in 12 years. Dodn't look too good the last time I was there either.

Do you remember the name of the bakery on HEYWARD st?
stosh206

Sarasota, FL

#1270 Mar 23, 2014
I just found this site,I ran the candy store/soda fountain in north brentwood from 1963 to 1966 those were the days
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1271 Mar 23, 2014
The bakery was called "Hess Bakery" for a while. I remember the candy store, too. My grandfather would walk me down to the candy store next to Hills Supermarket for a fountain drink while he talked to the owner about horse racing. I just saw photos of the Brentwood St Patricks Parade, looks sad, some of the bands have lost their bold luster. I recall after the St Pats Parade trying to get into the Fife snd Drum across from Grants where everyone seemed to be. Does anyone remember the Memorial Day Parade where one of the Military Tanks caught fire near McDonalds?
alice

Cresskill, NJ

#1272 Mar 23, 2014
stosh206 wrote:
I just found this site,I ran the candy store/soda fountain in north brentwood from 1963 to 1966 those were the days
I LOVED "The Candy Store"!!(Did it even have another name?) I lived on Clarke Street and using my pennies to buy candy is one of my favorite memories!
alice

Cresskill, NJ

#1273 Mar 23, 2014
Van Buren St Guy wrote:
The bakery was called "Hess Bakery" for a while. I remember the candy store, too. My grandfather would walk me down to the candy store next to Hills Supermarket for a fountain drink while he talked to the owner about horse racing. I just saw photos of the Brentwood St Patricks Parade, looks sad, some of the bands have lost their bold luster. I recall after the St Pats Parade trying to get into the Fife snd Drum across from Grants where everyone seemed to be. Does anyone remember the Memorial Day Parade where one of the Military Tanks caught fire near McDonalds?
Thanks Van Buren St Guy. Do you ( or does anyone) know if it was ever owned by the same people who owned Campbell's on Suffolk Ave?. My mother always called it Campbells and said it was the same owner (this was late 60's and 70's) but no one else has any idea what I'm talking about when I say that.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1274 Mar 24, 2014
Do you remember "Lady L's" candy/card store that was located on Clarke Street next to the Pine Tree?
stosh206

Sarasota, FL

#1275 Mar 24, 2014
I do remember hess and lady L's also at that time john nyland and i think if i can spell it right shuteman
stosh206

Sarasota, FL

#1276 Mar 24, 2014
they were the owners of the pine tree
x

Lake Worth, FL

#1277 Mar 28, 2014
I read today Entenmanns is closing. Very sad. A big part of my childhood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stony Brook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) 18 hr lkjlk 79
News 'Joey Checks' gets 5 years in prison - (Sep '07) 18 hr Soupy 12
In need of a Certified Pool Operator asap Jun 24 Mknight 1
News Police raid Napper Tandy's pub in Miller Place (Jun '07) Jun 23 Facepunch Grandpa 130
Brentwood,Long Island, New York (Apr '06) Jun 23 Hoffman68 1,162
all drownings (Jun '07) Jun 22 Lorraine short 24
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... (May '15) Jun 21 Eric 22
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stony Brook Mortgages