Bavarian Inn Lk. Ronkonkoma 1939

Bavarian Inn Lk. Ronkonkoma 1939

Posted in the Stony Brook Forum

George Lipponer

AOL

#1 May 13, 2010
Yes, My uncles and aunts opened this restaurant in 1939 and it was my first job as a youngster. To the left in the photo is the refreshment stand where we sold hot dogs, scooped ice cream and Mission brand sodas. The main building housed the bar and dining room where Blue Plate specials, roast beef, a veg and potato were $1.25. A Wurlitzer juke box blared out the music a 5 cents.
Jitterbug music. Shuffleboards with their salted surfaces and metal weights. To the right of the building were bath houses along the creek. 50 cents. Parking was 50 cents and row boats were rented for 50 cents and hour with a $l.00 deposit for the oars. A sometimes Sunday entertainment was when a man parachuted out over the lake and each pavilion took turns rowing out and plucking him from the lake. Gas rationing... World War 11 were in effect.
james

Smithtown, NY

#2 May 30, 2010
that place has one hell of a story to tell, as i go past it every day, i wonder.

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#3 May 30, 2010
Oh, what we have lost!

How did LI go from the wonderful place it was in the 60's & 70's, to the restrictive dump that it is now?! What a travesty!

Looking at these old pics really reminds us of what we once had and have since lost.

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#4 May 30, 2010
PS. Hey, does anyone know anything about that old Carvel building that used to be on the north side of Portion, a little west of the Barbarian Inn? I remember seeing it, already abandoned in the late 60's/early 70's when I was a kid. Always wondered what the story was with it.
Shafe76

Leonardtown, MD

#5 Jun 11, 2010
My 80 y.o. father and his family used to come out to Lake Ronkonkoma in the late 30's/early 40's from Brooklyn. They would drive out via Motor Parkway (another now-defunct landmark that helped make Long Island what it is today).
Times have certainly changed, and not for the better.
Linda Suh

Suffern, NY

#6 Aug 9, 2010
Yes, it also was my first job during the summer. We had great times serving hot dogs, hamburgers and ice cream at the stand.
Old Timer

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Aug 10, 2010
Back in the 50s I got my first BJ in a little trailer park on Lake Ronkonkoma,anyone know if it is still there?
B excellent 2 each other

Rye, NY

#8 Aug 11, 2010
Old Timer wrote:
Back in the 50s I got my first BJ in a little trailer park on Lake Ronkonkoma,anyone know if it is still there?
Just look down and see it may still be there I don't know how old of an old timer you are. maybe you should ask your wife? she might be able to find it
Bob De Stefani

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jan 9, 2011
In re: to the comment above, "Sunday entertainment was when a man parachuted out over the lake and each pavilion took turns rowing out and plucking him from the lake". I used to watch him from Duffields Beach and then later that day he would visit each beach for donations.
Bob Cleveland

Hauppauge, NY

#10 Oct 11, 2013
George Lipponer wrote:
Yes, My uncles and aunts opened this restaurant in 1939 and it was my first job as a youngster. To the left in the photo is the refreshment stand where we sold hot dogs, scooped ice cream and Mission brand sodas. The main building housed the bar and dining room where Blue Plate specials, roast beef, a veg and potato were $1.25. A Wurlitzer juke box blared out the music a 5 cents.
Jitterbug music. Shuffleboards with their salted surfaces and metal weights. To the right of the building were bath houses along the creek. 50 cents. Parking was 50 cents and row boats were rented for 50 cents and hour with a $l.00 deposit for the oars. A sometimes Sunday entertainment was when a man parachuted out over the lake and each pavilion took turns rowing out and plucking him from the lake. Gas rationing... World War 11 were in effect.
I'm a doing a video piece on the Bavarian Inn for the Town of Smithtown. If you could email me any pictures of the Bavarian Inn form the beginning up until 2000 interior and exterior that would be great.
Thanks. email to [email protected]
Bob Cleveland

Hauppauge, NY

#11 Oct 11, 2013
If anyone had pictures of the Bavarian Inn they can email to me form the very beginning to say year 2000 interior and exterior that would be great I am doing a video piece for the Town of Smithtown and need some photos.
Thank you.
Please email to [email protected]

To see some of the video's we have produced go to
www.smithtowngtv.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stony Brook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr Twizzler4158 121,901
News The Gangs of (Brentwood) New York Nov 28 The Mick 3
News Tankleff half sister rips DA, says Marty's guilty (Jan '08) Nov 27 Released 101
News Mixed vibes on body shaker (Jun '06) Nov 27 WalM 505
News LI Dreamers fear Trump will revoke protections,... Nov 26 Wildchild 1
Review: Peterson & Grace - Sara E Grace DDS (Mar '10) Nov 25 Roc 2
Brentwood,Long Island, New York (Apr '06) Nov 22 Squafdonoboles 1,166

Stony Brook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stony Brook Mortgages